[comp.sys.mac.misc] Next intro: any effect on Mac _high-end_ prices?

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/28/90)

--------

When I've seen a Next releated thread in this group, I generally try to steer
it over to comp.sys.next, since I get tired of reading flames against the Mac
and Apple (besides, Mac people are flamed over there).

But I've been thinking about it: it's true that Next may be out of business in
a couple of years.  And it's true that it will never have the impact that the
Mac had; it's a bit late for that.

But it's also true that -- probably primarily out of desperation -- they are
offering quality machines at outstandingly low prices, particularly for
university people (despite my sig, I'm not one, unfortunately :->).  I just saw
a note in the Next group which said that Stanford will be selling the minimal
Next config for less then $3200!  Think about that: an '040 machine with HD,
and with rights to lotsa software, for $3200.

Sure, the Next has lots of negatives, and I'm always glad to point them out.
Some of them in this low price model are: grayscale, and never more than 4096
colors even if you upgrade to color -- that is you can kiss 24-bit goodbye; not
much room on the included HD for all the software you have license to, and
about $1600 upgrade to the next larger HD size; etc.

But still....it's a pretty nice deal.

So, my question is: does anyone have any speculation on how Apple will respond?
Surely the high-end Macs, in particular the IIfx, have become less competitive.
I don't expect the Mac to come down to Next's prices; not unless Next starts
selling mega amounts.  But some more competitiveness would be nice.

Any thoughts?  (And please, no "Next will win!" opinions; I'm so sick of
hearing Next agitprop I could puke!).

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) (09/29/90)

In article <1990Sep28.050506.19522@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>Sure, the Next has lots of negatives, and I'm always glad to point them out.
>Some of them in this low price model are: grayscale, and never more than 4096
>colors even if you upgrade to color -- that is you can kiss 24-bit goodbye; not
>much room on the included HD for all the software you have license to, and
>about $1600 upgrade to the next larger HD size; etc.

I think you are wrong here.  You can buy a NeXT slab with 16 bit colour
on the board ($7995), or you can buy a 32 bit "NeXT Dimension" colour board
(with a 33MHz i860 chip, 30,000 shaded polygons/second, 12MB (?) RAM) for
about $3995 (retail).  This is expensive for a colour board, but not bad
when you consider the performance.

As for the HD, go buy a external SCSI 300+MB HD from a third party for
between $1000 and $2000.  Not a bad cost, really.  Cost out what a
similiar mac would set you back.

>But still....it's a pretty nice deal.

I agree.

>So, my question is: does anyone have any speculation on how Apple will respond?
>Surely the high-end Macs, in particular the IIfx, have become less competitive.
>I don't expect the Mac to come down to Next's prices; not unless Next starts
>selling mega amounts.  But some more competitiveness would be nice.
>
>Any thoughts?  (And please, no "Next will win!" opinions; I'm so sick of
>hearing Next agitprop I could puke!).

I have owned Macs for years, but I have recently been getting more and
more frustrated with Apple.  I am sick of hearing the "R&D" argument for
their high prices.  Maybe they should lose their "Not Invented Here"
phobia and stop trying to do everything themselves.  This splits their
R&D dollar far too thinly.  Thus, instead of producing really up to date
products, they are constantly playing catch up with the rest of the
industry.

Let's face it.  The only thing Macs have going for them is their user
interface.  They are not particularly technically innovative.  I applaud
Apple for their sense of vision, but I think they need glasses.

As for what I think Apple will do - I have resigned myself to seeing
little or no change in their corporate direction/culture.  Their
"low-cost" Macs sound under powered and over priced to me.  Instead of
producing a really competitive system, their rationalle seems to be to
cripple one of their higher-end systems (or marginally improve a low-end
system) and cut the price a bit.

The only way Apple is going to be competitive is to either slash the
price of it's entire line in half and bring out a new high powered (040)
system at the price of a IIcx.  Sounds like fantasy land to me.  I have
been waiting for Apple to wise up for too long.

I'm not sure that "NeXT will win", but, quite honestly, I am almost
prepared to put my support behind them (with $$$ - buy a machine)
because I believe they are going where Apple would be right now, if they
weren't running the company like IBM.

I really hope NeXT is successful.  I also hope Apple is successful.  It
may be that success for NeXT will put pressure on Apple and make them a
little more hungry/competitive.

Eric

disclaimer:  All standard disclaimers apply.
			 All non-standard disclaimers apply.
             All truly bizarre disclaimers apply.

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/29/90)

------
In article <1030@mdavcr.UUCP>, ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) writes...

>In article <1990Sep28.050506.19522@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>>Sure, the Next has lots of negatives, and I'm always glad to point them out.
>>Some of them in this low price model are: grayscale, and never more than 4096
>>colors even if you upgrade to color -- that is you can kiss 24-bit goodbye; not
>>much room on the included HD for all the software you have license to, and
>>about $1600 upgrade to the next larger HD size; etc.
>
>I think you are wrong here.  You can buy a NeXT slab with 16 bit colour
>on the board ($7995), or you can buy a 32 bit "NeXT Dimension" colour board
>(with a 33MHz i860 chip, 30,000 shaded polygons/second, 12MB (?) RAM) for
>about $3995 (retail).  This is expensive for a colour board, but not bad
>when you consider the performance.

Right.  But I don't think you can put the "Next Dimension" board in the the
slab.  So it's 16 bit (really 12 bit I think) for the slab -> 4096.  But let's
not start a thread on this, since we can all read the real facts in the Next
group.

>As for the HD, go buy a external SCSI 300+MB HD from a third party for
>between $1000 and $2000.  Not a bad cost, really.  Cost out what a
>similiar mac would set you back.

I think about the same.  My only point here was that $5000 didn't really get
you all the software you have rights to under Next.

[opinions about Apple]

>I really hope NeXT is successful.  I also hope Apple is successful.  It
>may be that success for NeXT will put pressure on Apple and make them a
>little more hungry/competitive.

Sounds good to me.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/01/90)

Not wanting to really get into the NeXT =vs= Mac discussion...but I would like
to correct your statement that the new NeXTStations can't have more than 4096
colors, and that you can kiss 24bit color goodbye because that's a crock.

The 4096 onscreen colors in in NeXT's "low-end" color system.  You get 32bit
(24bits for color) accelerated graphics if you buy the NeXT i860 graphics
card.  Sure, it's just over $7K, but then again, I've seen the prices for some
of the Mac video cards...

In a few weeks, I'll have more than 4096 colors on my A3000-25/50 system...

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 994-1602         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  ...better life through creative computing... |   recreation...(whew!)

lbl@applelink.apple.com (Barry Locklear) (10/02/90)

In article <4737@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham)
writes:
> Not wanting to really get into the NeXT =vs= Mac discussion...but I
would like
> to correct your statement that the new NeXTStations can't have more than
4096
> colors, and that you can kiss 24bit color goodbye because that's a crock.
>
> The 4096 onscreen colors in in NeXT's "low-end" color system.  You get
32bit
> (24bits for color) accelerated graphics if you buy the NeXT i860 graphics
> card.  Sure, it's just over $7K, but then again, I've seen the prices
for some
> of the Mac video cards...

The color card is called NeXTDimension, costs $3995, and is available for
the cube only.  They are *not* available for the NeXTStation.  The color
NeXTStation can display 4096 colors out of a palette of 16.7 million.  It
also has 4 bits of alpha, making a total of 16 bits/pixel. This is the only color option present at this time.  In additon, there is no i860 option available for the NeXTStation.  This information was presented at the NeXT intro on September 18th.

Barry Locklear
Trying to add some light to the heat

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (10/02/90)

From article <10525@goofy.Apple.COM>, by lbl@applelink.apple.com (Barry Locklear):
| In article <4737@crash.cts.com> seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:
|> Not wanting to really get into the NeXT =vs= Mac discussion...but I would like
|> to correct your statement that the new NeXTStations can't have more than 4096
|> colors, and that you can kiss 24bit color goodbye because that's a crock.
|>
|> The 4096 onscreen colors in in NeXT's "low-end" color system.  You get 32bit
|> (24bits for color) accelerated graphics if you buy the NeXT i860 graphics
|> card.  Sure, it's just over $7K, but then again, I've seen the prices for some
|> of the Mac video cards...
|
| The color card is called NeXTDimension, costs $3995, and is available for
| the cube only.  They are *not* available for the NeXTStation.  The color
| NeXTStation can display 4096 colors out of a palette of 16.7 million.  It
| also has 4 bits of alpha, making a total of 16 bits/pixel. This is the only
| color option present at this time.  In additon, there is no i860 option available
| for the NeXTStation.  This information was presented at the NeXT intro on
| September 18th.
|
| Barry Locklear
| Trying to add some light to the heat

  Bzzt. The nextstation w/ color has 16 bits/pixel: 4R + 4G + 4B + 4 Alpha.
That's 4096 colors out of 4096. No palette involved there. Add a pair of (sun)
glasses to the hot, blinding light.

--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| A fanatic is one who sticks to
|   U    | - Ackphtth               | loaded or not.

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/06/90)

	Where is it that Apple and NeXT are in any serious
	competition with each other? (In ego perhaps) but
	Joe Average is not going to run out and buy a Unix
	box. If you think they are, Why can't you buy a Sun
	or other Unix box at the local computer store? (outside Xenix)
	I think that its somewhat obvious that Unix is not for the
	masses no matter what front end you stick on it. Software
	for Unix platforms is usually incredibly spendy as well.
	So It is my opinion that Apple is not really in any
	significant competition with NeXT with some certain
	Market exceptions that I don't think are all that
	significant..... I could be wrong, but I doubt it..

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (10/06/90)

by ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger):

| 	Where is it that Apple and NeXT are in any serious
| 	competition with each other? (In ego perhaps) but
| 	Joe Average is not going to run out and buy a Unix
| 	box. If you think they are, Why can't you buy a Sun
| 	or other Unix box at the local computer store? (outside Xenix)
| 	I think that its somewhat obvious that Unix is not for the
| 	masses no matter what front end you stick on it. Software
| 	for Unix platforms is usually incredibly spendy as well.
| 	So It is my opinion that Apple is not really in any
| 	significant competition with NeXT with some certain
| 	Market exceptions that I don't think are all that
               ^^^^^^^^^^
| 	significant..... I could be wrong, but I doubt it..

  So, the IIfx and the IIci are not that significant to Apple's product
line? They're aimed at a similar audience who wants and can afford to
pay for some performance. In that market, NeXT has a basic offering
that, IMHO as a die hard Mac user, walks all over the IIfx at a third
the cost. (Add up monitor, enet card, some software, ...)  The new
NeXTs won't magically rise to preeminence because of (1) it's heart of
UNIX (2) it's not already in millions of offices and (3) it has a
small, high priced software base. (2) is a matter of marketing while (1)
I can't really make a valid comment on since I haven't done any sys admin
things with a NeXT. With all the rave reviews for the interface builder,
I suspect (3) might come quicker than you suspect if sales take off. If
were at Apple, I'd sure as heck be interested in going after market share
as aggressively as NeXT is. Or would that be to realistic of a view?

--

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (10/07/90)

In article <2867@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:

>	Where is it that Apple and NeXT are in any serious
>	competition with each other? (In ego perhaps) but
>	Joe Average is not going to run out and buy a Unix
>	box. If you think they are, Why can't you buy a Sun
>	or other Unix box at the local computer store? (outside Xenix)

Could it have anything to do with price?  Because of various design
decisions, Unix machines require more memory and disk space than
Macs and PCs running MS-DOS, and do better in systems that can
support virtual memory.  Two years ago, memory was selling for
$250 per meg (not listing, *selling*), hard disks were physically
large for less space and cost twice as much as now, and VM micros
were just starting to drop in price.

It has only been recently that the lower-priced Suns and other Unix
machines were in the same price range as the higher-priced Macs and
PCs.

>	I think that its somewhat obvious that Unix is not for the
>	masses no matter what front end you stick on it. Software
>	for Unix platforms is usually incredibly spendy as well.

Unix software is spendy because the market hasn't been there.  How
much do you think Apple pays Informix to develop Mac products?
I may be wrong, but I suspect that it's less than nothing (given
the cost of the Apple Developer program and tools).  How much
do you think that a Unix workstation vendor pays for the same
product?  I suspect that $50,000 plus a guarantee of 5000 units
sold in a year is considered a great bargain.

With standards like X and POSIX, as well as processor ABIs, this
situation can change for software developers, but it will take
some time before vendor egos allow these standards to really take
hold.

Another major factor is software in the freeware/shareware area.
I have tons of Mac software, almost all of it binaries, that I
got from convenient sources, and I believe that MS-DOS users have
an order of magnitude more.  With X catching on, this will get
better in the Unix world, but it will not be the same, since Unix
people generally require sources.

For now, Unix will remain a higher-priced personal system option.
As system prices fall, standards become more prevalent, and more
software becomes available, people will be able to take advantage
of Unix.  All it takes is a critical mass of users.

One big advantage that NeXT and all the other Unix vendors will
have in the future is that the next generation of processors
(you know, the 100-200 VAX MIPS processors we keep hearing about)
will be pretty easy to port to.  I don't think we'll be seeing
100MIPS Macs that run the same binaries as the Plus.

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/13/90)

In article <1990Oct6.071135.14257@d.cs.okstate.edu> minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:

>  So, the IIfx and the IIci are not that significant to Apple's product
>line? They're aimed at a similar audience who wants and can afford to
>pay for some performance. In that market, NeXT has a basic offering
>that, IMHO as a die hard Mac user, walks all over the IIfx at a third
>the cost. (Add up monitor, enet card, some software, ...)  The new
>NeXTs won't magically rise to preeminence because of (1) it's heart of
>UNIX (2) it's not already in millions of offices and (3) it has a
>small, high priced software base. (2) is a matter of marketing while (1)
>I can't really make a valid comment on since I haven't done any sys admin
>things with a NeXT. With all the rave reviews for the interface builder,
>I suspect (3) might come quicker than you suspect if sales take off. If
>were at Apple, I'd sure as heck be interested in going after market share
>as aggressively as NeXT is. Or would that be to realistic of a view?

	Robert, you missed the whole point... Unix is NOT for everyone.
	The only thing that NeXt Runs under is Unix...While the IIci
	and the IIfx are high performance machines, and can run AUX,
	Joe Average is NOT buying AUX. You might, maybe I will, but do
	you really consider yourself an "average" computer user? I doubt
	it.

	My Comment was pointed to the very fact that Unix is NOT for
	everyone and that by this very point are Apple's platforms really
	in any direct competition with NeXt? I don't think so. Perhaps
	when you install AUX, but the actual number of users there I
	suspect is quite low.

	Apple is pursuing Market share with the new releases, while we
	can easily slam some of the design decisions they made in new
	machines, I don't think that we can effectively speak for the
	new computer user that will want the ease of use that the
	Macintosh provides and perhaps with some decent street pricing
	will be able to get the power of a Macintosh for $2k or less.
	Maybe not the power houses like the IIci or IIfx.. but the new
	Mac's will serve I think a missing market that Apple has been
	overlooking for a while...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.
Enterprise Systems Division             (I disclaim anything and everything)
UUCP: {3comvax,auspex,sun}!bridge2!ngg  Internet: ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (10/14/90)

If you don't give a hoot about comparing NeXT to Mac in any form, even
though I AM a Mac supporter, better skip this right now.

(Long quotes to preserve authors' intents...sorry)

A while back, ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) wrote:

| Where is it that Apple and NeXT are in any serious
| competition with each other? (In ego perhaps) but
| Joe Average is not going to run out and buy a Unix
| box. If you think they are, Why can't you buy a Sun
| or other Unix box at the local computer store? (outside Xenix)
| I think that its somewhat obvious that Unix is not for the
| masses no matter what front end you stick on it. Software
| for Unix platforms is usually incredibly spendy as well.
| So It is my opinion that Apple is not really in any
| significant competition with NeXT with some certain
| Market exceptions that I don't think are all that
         ^^^^^^^^^^
| significant..... I could be wrong, but I doubt it..

And I replied:

|   So, the IIfx and the IIci are not that significant to Apple's product
| line? They're aimed at a similar audience who wants and can afford to
| pay for some performance. In that market, NeXT has a basic offering
| that, IMHO as a die hard Mac user, walks all over the IIfx at a third
| the cost. (Add up monitor, enet card, some software, ...)  The new
| NeXTs won't magically rise to preeminence because of (1) it's heart of
| UNIX (2) it's not already in millions of offices and (3) it has a
| small, high priced software base. (2) is a matter of marketing while (1)
| I can't really make a valid comment on since I haven't done any sys admin
| things with a NeXT. With all the rave reviews for the interface builder,
| I suspect (3) might come quicker than you suspect if sales take off. If
| were at Apple, I'd sure as heck be interested in going after market share
| as aggressively as NeXT is. Or would that be to realistic of a view?

And now, Norm says:

| Robert, you missed the whole point... Unix is NOT for everyone.
| The only thing that NeXt Runs under is Unix...While the IIci
| and the IIfx are high performance machines, and can run AUX,
| Joe Average is NOT buying AUX. You might, maybe I will, but do
| you really consider yourself an "average" computer user? I doubt
| it.

  I think I understand your original point and I pointed out that I have
no experience with sys admin type things on the NeXT (typically the most
guru-ish thing about a UNIX box).
  I think that you missed my point that Joe Average doesn't go out and
buy a IIfx or IIci either. Yet this is a very significant market for
Apple, who claims to be an innovator in the computer industry. Do you
seriously think Apple doesn't care about the "power" user? That once a
Mac user becomes sufficiently advanced, they will have outgrown what
the Mac can provide?

| My Comment was pointed to the very fact that Unix is NOT for
| everyone and that by this very point are Apple's platforms really
| in any direct competition with NeXt? I don't think so. Perhaps
| when you install AUX, but the actual number of users there I
| suspect is quite low.

  I think you mean "everyone" to extend only towards the less technical
computer user. I argue that it also extends toward the most technical
ones as well. Apple has shown their intent to attract these users to the
Mac in the form of the IIfx and the ads concerning it.
  You seem to be hung up on what UNIX is. Do you mean that preemptive
multitasking is not for everyone? That virtual memory is not for the
masses? That device independence is only for gurus? Or are you referring
to the interface through which we deal with the OS? (I assume this is
the case.) I assert that the parts of UNIX that cause most people to
vomit can effectively be hidden. Whether NeXT does this effectively, I
don't know. Anyone have one that I can play with?

| Apple is pursuing Market share with the new releases, while we
| can easily slam some of the design decisions they made in new
| machines, I don't think that we can effectively speak for the
| new computer user that will want the ease of use that the
| Macintosh provides and perhaps with some decent street pricing
| will be able to get the power of a Macintosh for $2k or less.
| Maybe not the power houses like the IIci or IIfx.. but the new
| Mac's will serve I think a missing market that Apple has been
| overlooking for a while...

  Now you're talking about the area where Apple has a chance to do some
serious amounts of business. Barring massively lower prices than I've
seen tossed around, I don't think they'll be terribly successful. Ask
the virgin computer user about computers, and IBM usually crops up
somewhere. Then they see the neato Windows demo in the store and are
told "you can run this on this box for under $1K!" Sure, it's misleading
because the demo is probably a spiffy 386 with VGA, etc., but to that
person, a computer is a computer, right? And here's Apple's offering for
$2K...
  Back to _my_ focus and what prompted my original response: you said
that, other than ego, Apple and NeXT were not competing. I'll agree so
far as price. Apple loses by a long shot. As far as target users, I see
them both shooting at the same place: the business environment. The Mac
has always had to justify itself by being much better than DOS. For the
most part, this is still true and will continue to be so unless Apple gets
a lot bigger chunk of market at all levels. This is the same place NeXT is
coming from. The question isn't "why get a NeXT instead of a Mac" but
"why get a NeXT instead of a clone?" The Mac doesn't have nearly as
tenacious grip as the PC so going with a NeXT is no less desireable in
that light than going with a Mac. No compare price/performance and Apple
looks like dirt. (And DOS/Windows/??? looks like what it is. :-)
  If Apple cares about its future, they'd better pay attention to the
NeXT. If NeXT succeeds in gaining market share, it will very likely be
at Apple's loss. Apple could certainly take a lesson in eating margins
here.
  And for you, Norm, I can't help but ask: SAY you were about to buy a
IIfx. SAY your setup would include a large monitor, 8MB RAM, some
software, and ethernet. Would you be willing to learn how to care for a
UNIX box if I gave you $5,000? For five grand, I'll do about anything.

Price comparison...

Apple Educational (off my price list):
Mac IIfx 4/80   $6514
+4MB              400 (700 from Apple)
Apple 2 page     1505
  + disp card     630 (Apple 8*24)
ether             300?(NuvoLink II)
LaserWrtr IIntx  3149
Extended KB       160
                -----
               $12658

Bundled:
  HyperCard, TeachText (!)
======

NeXT Educational:
NeXTstation    $3500 ($4995 retail list; includes 68040, 8MB RAM,
                      105MB HD, 1120x832 92dpi 2bit greyscale, ethernet
                      on the mother board, no slots, 2.8MB floppy, KB/Mouse)
NeXT laser      1400 (400 dpi)
                ----
               $4900

Bundled:

  WriteNow
  Improv       (if you order before 1991)
  Mathematica  (for educational purchases)
  Digital Webster
  NeXT Mail
(and you are licensed to get these but you provide the disk space or pay
 materials cost for lots of floppies)
  Complete works of Shakespeare
  Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
  TEX
  Interface Builder
  Objective C/C++ compiler/debugger
  Online tech documentation
  and more development stuff...
===

  And remember that you're saving around $8,000 so you can afford a big
hard disk and heck, why not another NeXTstation why you're at it... Also,
this machine runs at roughly 2-3 times the "speed" (no benchmark flames,
please) of the IIfx. If you're so enclined, you could also setup
accounts for others to login to your machine. (Dumb TTYs all the way to
X Windows things. You can dialup you machine from wherever and check
your mail...) Yes, kids, Apple can learn something here.
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| A fanatic is one who sticks to
|=(___)= | minich@d.cs.okstate.edu  | his guns -- whether they are
|   U    | - Ackphtth               | loaded or not.

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/14/90)

-----
In article <1990Oct13.231403.22834@d.cs.okstate.edu>, minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes...

[...]

Robert, you made some very good points.  Also some Next agitprop (e.g., if Next
gains market share, it is just as -- if not more -- likely that it will come at
the expense of companies like Sun as it is that it will come from Apple).

But on to the
>Price comparison...

>Apple Educational (off my price list):
>Mac IIfx 4/80   $6514

Remember, it has 6 slots compared to 0 for the Nextstation.

>+4MB              400 (700 from Apple)

$400 is WAY overpriced!  You should be able to get 4 megs for less than $200.
Try Technology works.

>Apple 2 page     1505

Isn't the Next display smaller than 2 pages?  How much would it cost you to get
a Next-sized grayscale monitor from Radius or someone?

>  + disp card     630 (Apple 8*24)

Rmember, you can never display 24 bit color on the Nextstation.  16 bit is it,
at least for now.  (Yes, you can get -- very expensive -- 24 bit color on the
cube and Nextdimension).  For this $630 or close to it you can get 24 bit color
from RasterOps and others.

>ether             300?(NuvoLink II)
>LaserWrtr IIntx  3149

Try a personal LaserWriter.  After all, I don't think the Next printer is
easily networked, is it?  You'd probably save, what, about $1k if you went the
personal LW route.
>Extended KB       160
>                -----
>               $12658
>
>Bundled:
>  HyperCard, TeachText (!)
>======
>
>NeXT Educational:
>NeXTstation    $3500 ($4995 retail list; includes 68040, 8MB RAM,
>                      105MB HD, 1120x832 92dpi 2bit greyscale, ethernet
>                      on the mother board, no slots, 2.8MB floppy, KB/Mouse)
>NeXT laser      1400 (400 dpi)
>                ----
>               $4900

Remember, one big advantage to the Mac is that you can shop around and get a
lot of stuff from 3rd parties.  With Next this is much harder.  Also, if you
didn't quite need the speed of the IIfx, you could get a much better deal.  The
IIci is MUCH cheaper, and fairly fast (neither as fast as the Next, though).

I get tired of people making bogus price comparisons between the Mac and the
Next.  The cost/benefit ratio of the Nextstation is impressive enough that
you'd think people wouldn't do that.

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (10/14/90)

Reading the discussion about the advantages/disadvantages of the
new NeXTs versus the Macintosh brought memories of when the
Macintosh was in its infancy where everyone compared the Mac with
IBM PCs and compatibles.  "Well, the Mac is overpriced... you can
get peripherals for the PC much cheaper than you can for the
Mac... blah blah blah blah..."

Well, the tides have changed and now Macintosh has a much larger
market share than before...things have gotten more inexpensive
than the bad old days.  What will become of NeXT?  Only time will
tell.  I hope NeXT succeeds; I hope Apple does, too.  If Apple
wakes up and sells machines at a more reasonable price, the whole
Macintosh and potential Macintosh communities benefit--likewise
for NeXT enthusiasts, although the way NeXT is marketing their
new machines, they're headed in the right direction.  This
bickering about price is going nowhere: those who like NeXTs will
continue to like them and appreciate their usefulness; those who
don't like NeXTs but would rather stick with Macs (really
whatever CPU they like) would continue to not care.  I would like
to think it is the individuals who ultimately decides, and this
is true for the most part.

Those new NeXTs sure look nice; and frankly, if Apple introduces
its '040 box that's above the price of the new Cube--not the
NeXTstation--I will jump ship and get a NeXT before buying
another Macintosh.  I get in on a good deal when I see one, and
as a programmer, I see the NeXT as a great deal--much better than
what Apple has given us in terms of price/performance.  But then,
it's hard to give your customers a good deal when you've got a
monopoly...  Speaking of the "bad old days," I just remembered
that I paid more for my Apple II+ with 64K RAM (ooooh!!) in 1981
than I did for my SE in 1988.  Chills go up my spine.  Can't wait
for that Craystation for $2395 with 1 GB RAM...

Ken
--
..............................................................________________.
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (10/15/90)

I'm in a sharing mood, so I'll share my thoughts on this subject, hit "n"
now to pass it by quick!

Ok, your choice!
ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>In article .... (Robert Minich) writes:
>>  So, the IIfx and the IIci are not that significant to Apple's product
>>line? They're aimed at a similar audience who wants and can afford to
>>pay for some performance. In that market, NeXT has a basic offering
>>that, IMHO as a die hard Mac user, walks all over the IIfx at a third
>>the cost. (Add up monitor, enet card, some software, ...)  The new
>>NeXTs won't magically rise to preeminence because of (1) it's heart of
>>UNIX (2) it's not already in millions of offices and (3) it has a
>>small, high priced software base.
>	Robert, you missed the whole point... Unix is NOT for everyone.
>	The only thing that NeXT Runs under is Unix...While the IIci
Norman, you missed the whole point...  Robert isn't talking about Unix
being for everyone.  In fact, I get frustrated when I sit in front of
a NeXT and can't get at the Unix part right off.  I haven't sat in front
of one so much, but the similarity between the NeXT's setting the nitty-
gritty of the os functioning behind a pretty face and the Macintosh's
setting the .... is striking (hmmm, I wonder why).  (I'm no NeXTpert,
so if I miss something, correct me.)
There is a completely non-CS department on campus that ordered a NeXT over
the original planned Macintosh.  And they already *have* Mac(s).  And this
is a big Mac campus.
Please construe nothing in my post against Macs, no comment about a certain
Scul.....

--
Brian Aslakson

aslakson@cs.umn.edu