[comp.sys.mac.misc] Solved! was Re: Help! SE monitor has checkerboard pattern & hangs

jfw@cello.mc.duke.edu (John Whitehead) (10/18/90)

In article <21674@duke.cs.duke.edu> jfw@neuro.duke.edu (me) wrote:

>I was doing memory upgrades...
>
>The SE's monitor is a checkerboard pattern (16 across by 10-1/2 down)
>upon bootup... then nothing else happens.

I have fixed the problem, thanks to all who responded so quickly.

I had the 256K RAM chips where the 1 MB chips should have been, and vice
versa.  Apparently, an SE with resistors needs the 1MB chips in slots
1&2, but an SE with jumpers needs the 1MB chips in slots 3&4.  I had been
working on both yesterday; I didn't know they were different.  To make
matters more confusing, my memory installation manual says the latter
in the text, but has the former in the diagram.

    John Whitehead	               Internet:  jfw@neuro.duke.edu
    Department of Neurobiology                    jfw@well.sf.ca.us
    Duke University Medical Center     Bitnet:    white002@dukemc
    Durham, North Carolina