[comp.sys.mac.misc] Map cdev

freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) (10/16/90)

I recently bought and read "The art of human-computer interface design"
(which should have been called "DONT WALK") edited by Brenda Laurel.
This book (which is very nice) contains an article called "Two
disciplines in search of an interface" by Laurie Vertelney.  In this
article she describes a comparison between the way a certain task
("redesign the Map cdev") was executed by a programmer (Henry
Lieberman, _the_ Henry Lieberman, of the garbage collector) as opposed
to the way it was executed by a graphic artist (Michael Arent).

The Map cdev is one of my favorite pieces of Mac software (so small!),
so I thought this was a very interesting article.  (However I didn't
like the redesigns _at all_.  I'm very glad that Mac software isn't
designed by the Advanced Technology Group at Apple :-))

Now my main point: The article contains a figure which is a screen dump
of the "original" Map cdev (at last that is what it is supposed to be).
However, it is not the cdev that I have.  In particular, it contains
buttons to "shrink/enlarge map".  It _says_ it is version 1.2, though,
which _is_ the version I have.

My question: Can anyone send me the shrinking/enlarging version of the
Mac cdev?  Maybe someone knows Mark Davis (the original author of Map)?
Please.

Freek "the Pistol Major" Wiedijk                      E-mail: freek@fwi.uva.nl
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

czychi@ethz.UUCP (Gary Czychi) (10/17/90)

To shrink/enlarge the map cdev just open it (klick on it) with the shift or
option keys held down. That's all.

	Gary

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/18/90)

In article <1374@carol.fwi.uva.nl> freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) writes:
>designed by the Advanced Technology Group at Apple :-))
>	[some text deleted]
>Now my main point: The article contains a figure which is a screen dump
>of the "original" Map cdev (at last that is what it is supposed to be).
>However, it is not the cdev that I have.  In particular, it contains
>buttons to "shrink/enlarge map".  It _says_ it is version 1.2, though,
>which _is_ the version I have.
>
>My question: Can anyone send me the shrinking/enlarging version of the
>Mac cdev?  Maybe someone knows Mark Davis (the original author of Map)?
>Please.

Apart from that, (BTW, I agree with you on the Map cdev, I like it!  It is
also handy in checking people's local times when callin long distance over
the phone :) can anyone also tell me how I could "upgrade" to a newer version
while retaining the additions and modifications I've made?

**My employers don't understand me, so I guess I'm on my own when I speak out**
Norton Chia		|	I *think* my address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU