[comp.sys.mac.misc] SID II & SoundEdit

NEWMAN@MAINE.BITNET (10/16/90)

I purchased a SID II kit this summer and am very satisfied with it. I noticed
that Farralon Computing is now marketing their SoundEdit software seperately,
This is due to the new line of Macs coming out with sound recording
capabilites.  Does any body know wether this software will work with the
SID II?

Bryan Newman

mikec@allspice.lcs.mit.edu (Mike Ciholas) (10/18/90)

In article <90289.083519NEWMAN@MAINE.BITNET> NEWMAN@MAINE.BITNET writes:
>I purchased a SID II kit this summer and am very satisfied with it. I noticed
>that Farralon Computing is now marketing their SoundEdit software seperately,
>This is due to the new line of Macs coming out with sound recording
>capabilites.  Does any body know wether this software will work with the
>SID II?
>
>Bryan Newman

The answer is a resounding YES!  Since the SID-II (and now the CSD,
see below) are completely compatible with the MacRecorder (tm
Farallon) hardware format, they will work with the SoundEdit (tm
Farallon) software.  I have tested this.

I hoped Farallon would make this move since the new machines have the
hardware built in.  I also hope that Authorware would release
SoundWave sometime soon.  They bundle it as part of their multi-media
software and I think it is the best straight sound capture program
available (SoundEdit has better special effects, mind you).

The SID-II is no longer being sold by CEDAR Tech.  We are now selling
the CSD (CEDAR Sound Digitizer) which is an improved version of the
SID-II.  It features selectable auto-leveling, and LED inidicator, and
more precise timing (using a custom crystal).  A kit is available
from:

	CEDAR Technologies
	P.O. Box 224
	Dublin, NH 03444

for $45 plus $4 shipping and handling.  A cable is $8 (not included)
and a disk with PD and shareware stuff on it is $5.  Write for info
about foreign orders.

Disclaimer:  I am CEDAR Technolgies.

Mike Ciholas

mikec@lcs.mit.edu