[comp.sys.mac.misc] Zterm

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/17/90)

HELP!  I need a pointer to some other program that can handle
zmodem.  Zterm has the incredibly annoying habit of munging the
incoming file it there is a CRC error during transmission.  It
has NEVER been able to recover from this (out of about ten times
that I got an error the file was thrashed every time).  I'm
willing to buy whatever can get the job done.  Normally, I wouldn't
care about such things, but I've been trying to d/l a group of
files (each one about 800K) at 2400 baud for 2 days now and I've
only gotten one complete error-free transmission.

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/18/90)

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> HELP!  I need a pointer to some other program that can handle
> zmodem.  Zterm has the incredibly annoying habit of munging the
> incoming file it there is a CRC error during transmission.  It
> has NEVER been able to recover from this (out of about ten times
> that I got an error the file was thrashed every time).  I'm
> willing to buy whatever can get the job done.  Normally, I wouldn't
> care about such things, but I've been trying to d/l a group of
> files (each one about 800K) at 2400 baud for 2 days now and I've
> only gotten one complete error-free transmission.

Both MicroPhone II and White Knight support zmodem transfers.

John

wnn@ornl.gov (Wolfgang N. Naegeli) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.163625.1963@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> HELP!  I need a pointer to some other program that can handle
> zmodem.

I am using TeleFinder/User (Group Edition), which has just been upgraded
to version 2.1 with support of ZMODEM being the main enhancement. It works
very well. I have pulled the line on several transmissions to test it, and
it has had no difficulty picking up the rest of the file after logging in
again. TeleFinder IMHO is the best Bulletin Board System software for the
Mac, with very intuitive graphics based user interface.  I believe Spider
Island Software also sells a Personal Edition, which can be used as a
general purpose communications package when communicating with
non-TeleFinder hosts.
Spider Island Software
4790 Irvine Blvd.
Irvine, CA 92720
714-669-9260

Wolfgang N. Naegeli
Internet: wnn@ornl.gov    Bitnet: wnn@ornlstc
Phone: 615-574-6143       Fax: 615-574-6141
QuickMail (QM-QM): Wolfgang Naegeli @ 615-574-4510
Snail:  Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6206