[comp.sys.mac.misc] Pets vs. Mac

mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (09/29/90)

I moved my Mac II computer system home yesterday.  I am concerned about cat
hair floating about and getting inside the hardware and/or clogging the fans.
It's impossible to keep the cat and computer in separate rooms (at least until
I get a bigger apartment).  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal
with such a problem?  On another note, is it okay to put the dust cover (nylon)
on the monitor immediately after shutting down?

Thanks,

Mike.
--
Michael A. Kelly
mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu

rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) (09/30/90)

In article <1990Sep28.171120.3066@cs.uoregon.edu> mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) writes:

>I moved my Mac II computer system home yesterday.  I am concerned about cat
>hair floating about and getting inside the hardware and/or clogging the fans.

I've had mine in an apartment with three cats for the past 3 or so years, and
never noticed any problems. No hair in the fan, or in the machine. Now, on the
other hand, I could talk about dust...

>Michael A. Kelly
>mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu

	Robert
--
Robert K. Shull
rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

arends@Yosemite.metaphor.com (Dale M. Arends) (10/02/90)

In article <1990Sep30.131835.8109@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu> rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Robert K Shull) writes:
>In article <1990Sep28.171120.3066@cs.uoregon.edu> mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) writes:
>>
>>I moved my Mac II computer system home yesterday.  I am concerned about cat
>>hair floating about and getting inside the hardware and/or clogging the fans.
>
>I've had mine in an apartment with three cats for the past 3 or so years, and
>never noticed any problems. No hair in the fan, or in the machine. Now, on the
>other hand, I could talk about dust...
>
>>Michael A. Kelly
>>mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu
>
>	Robert
>--
>Robert K. Shull
>rob@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu				chinet!uokmax!rob

Watch out for hair in the keyboard, though :-)  I haven't had too much of
a problem with this as I use gentle pressure air to clear it out of mine.
You see, my female cat likes to lay down and be petted while I work so,
naturally, she lands on the keyboard (when she isn't playing soccer with
the mouse) and the resulting fur makes the keyboard very soft to the
touch.

Seriously, the last time I had the system open I was suprised at the lack
of hair in the machine.  The filtering and ventilating systems seem to do
their jobs well.

Dale

Dale M. Arends					Metaphor Computer Systems, Inc.
arends@metaphor.com
Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.  They
probably aren't interested and maybe don't agree and therefore ...

mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu (Michael A. Kelly) (10/02/90)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my question.  Here are the responses I got
directly:

From: langer@control.UChicago.EDU

  I haven't had any problems yet with the cat hair in the computer. I keep
the computer covered, and I always cover it right after shutting it off.
I don't think this is bad -- please let me know if you hear otherwise.
I also bought a can of cat repellent, which I sometimes spray on some old
socks which I drape over the computer. This reminds the cats not to go up
on the desk, but it makes the living room look disheveled. Sometimes
cat hair gets on the mouse pad with obvious effects. I'm thinking of getting
a track ball.

          Steve     (langer@control.uchicago.edu)

From: rdd@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett)

In article <1990Sep28.171120.3066@cs.uoregon.edu> you write:

>I moved my Mac II computer system home yesterday.  I am concerned about cat
>hair floating about and getting inside the hardware and/or clogging the fans.

Ignore it.  And/or vacuum the box every six months or so.  Anything important
is either inaccessible or hermetically sealed, with the possible exception
of the disk drive.  Dust doesn't really make any difference, either.

>It's impossible to keep the cat and computer in separate rooms (at least until
>I get a bigger apartment).  Does anyone have any suggestions about how to deal
>with such a problem?

Ignore it.  You'll probably find that cat hairs are much more of a problem with
the keyboard, in a year or so.

>On another note, is it okay to put the dust cover (nylon)
>on the monitor immediately after shutting down?

No.  It interrupts the dissipation of heat from the equipment.  I have also
found that dust covers are more trouble than they're worth.

I would be much more concerned about nicotine accretion on the disk drive
heads, if you smoke...

	[I don't. - Mike.]

From: "Brian Aslakson" <aslakson@cs.umn.edu>

I have a book called "Games you can play with you pussy" and they recommend
shellacking the cat.

Brian Aslakson  <<--== Just Kidding.  Don't shellack the cat.  Joke.  JOKE!

From: "Jon Dick" <GE.JHD@Forsythe.Stanford.EDU>

I did a survey for Stanford University a few years ago for an
article I wrote in our computer publication about the most common
reasons why a microcomputer needs to go into a shop.  I predicted
that it would either be power supply problems or disk drive
problems.  Number 1 turned out to be pet cats.  Between cat hair and
cat urine, more computers went in for this reason than any other to
several repair companies in the Stanford area.  Surprised?  I was.
Suggestions about dealing with it?  I don't know, your guess is
probably better than mine (I'm not a cat owner).

Yes, it is okay to put the dust cover on the monitor (and keyboard
:^) immediately after shutting down.

Jon

From: rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe)

Hm. Well, I don't run my Mac II all day long; just once in a while. But
I've had it for three years, and had two cats for all that time, and had
no trouble. The cats aren't Angora - they're medium to short hair - but
they do shed. (You should see what the vacuum cleaner picks up. Well,
maybe you have.)

One of them likes to sleep on top of the monitor, and never more than when
it's on and making warm.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."

From: Allyn Weaks <allyn@milton.u.washington.edu>

No need to worry.  I live in an extremely dusty basement with a Mac Plus and
four cats (one of which likes to sit on the keyboard).  Not to mention that
I'm a lousy house cleaner, and let my myriad spiders take care of insect
control.  I've yet to have any trouble, though I do take the covers off of
everything once or twice a year and vacuum.  Even the floppy drive hasn't been
a problem.

If worried anyway, you can get air-conditioner filter material and tape it
inside the case over the vents, and maybe make a little door for the floppy
drive.

The only problem I have with the cats is the tail that often hangs over my
screen!

Allyn Weaks
allyn@milton.u.washington.edu

Thanks again to all who responded.

Mike.
 Michael A. Kelly                 . "Resistance is futile."                  .
 Internet: mkelly@cs.uoregon.edu  .    - Locutus of Borg                     .
 America Online: Michael792       . "Fire!"                                  .

er225711@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Martin NMN Thurn) (10/17/90)

People have been worrying about and giving advice for computer - pet
cohabitation.  Heck with cat hair, dust, insects, I'm worried about my cats
walking on the keyboard and turning the machine on when I'm not home, wasting
electricity and running down my disk drive (or jolting me awake in the
middle of the night with the big electric-piano chime)!
:-)

--Martin, Nobuko, Peaches, and Melba Thurn

robin@csuchico.edu (Robin Goldstone) (10/17/90)

In article <49233@unix.cis.pitt.edu> er225711@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Martin NMN Thurn) writes:
>People have been worrying about and giving advice for computer - pet
>cohabitation.  Heck with cat hair, dust, insects, I'm worried about my cats
>walking on the keyboard and turning the machine on when I'm not home, wasting
>electricity and running down my disk drive (or jolting me awake in the
>middle of the night with the big electric-piano chime)!
>:-)
>
>--Martin, Nobuko, Peaches, and Melba Thurn

I'm more worried about the possibility of my cat accidentally turning on my
Mac and accidentally calling up some bulletin board and running up my phone
bill!  Those d*mn cats - you gotta watch 'em every minute...

Robin Goldstone, CSU Chico

obusek@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Obusek) (10/18/90)

In article <49233@unix.cis.pitt.edu> er225711@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Martin NMN Thurn) writes:
-People have been worrying about and giving advice for computer - pet
-cohabitation.  Heck with cat hair, dust, insects, I'm worried about my cats
-walking on the keyboard and turning the machine on when I'm not home, wasting
-electricity and running down my disk drive (or jolting me awake in the
-middle of the night with the big electric-piano chime)!
-:-)
-
---Martin, Nobuko, Peaches, and Melba Thurn

I had a cat once that loved to chew cords - she chewed the power cord
to my pc, the keyboard cord and the monitor cord. I don't know why,
but she also liked to lick diskettes! She licked a couple of 5 1/4 diskettes
through the openings (they had been left out of their sleeves) and ruined
them! (Definately a weird cat!)

Brenda O'Busek
obusek@dtrc.dt.navy.mil

arends@Yosemite.metaphor.com (Dale M. Arends) (10/18/90)

In article <49233@unix.cis.pitt.edu> er225711@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Martin NMN Thurn) writes:
>People have been worrying about and giving advice for computer - pet
>cohabitation.  Heck with cat hair, dust, insects, I'm worried about my cats
>walking on the keyboard and turning the machine on when I'm not home, wasting
>electricity and running down my disk drive (or jolting me awake in the
>middle of the night with the big electric-piano chime)!
>:-)
>
>--Martin, Nobuko, Peaches, and Melba Thurn

Don't fret too much.  It ain't likely to happen unless the keyboard is on
a direct route somewhere (like the litterbox).  I mean...you aren't there
doing interesting things that have to be investigated, there is no heat
emanations to attract them, there isn't even an intriguing moving cursor
to bat at.  They are far more likely to join you on the nice warm bed and
overheat your feet or shed on your pillow.

While you are working...that's a different story.  All those nifty moving
things to try and catch, a mouse to push away so there is room to lay down
and have a good tummy scratch, and of course, a keyboard to stand on so
you can a finger/nose rubbing session.

(Now if only my cat would learn to spell... 8-))

Dale (and associated felinoids (no relation to windoid or android))
Dale M. Arends					Metaphor Computer Systems, Inc.
arends@metaphor.com
Who says cats and mice don't play nicely?

henry@chinet.chi.il.us (Henry C. Schmitt) (10/19/90)

In article <3905@oasys.dt.navy.mil> obusek@dtoa3.dt.navy.mil (Brenda Obusek) writes:
>I had a cat once that loved to chew cords - she chewed the power cord
>to my pc, the keyboard cord and the monitor cord. I don't know why,
>but she also liked to lick diskettes!

Well, this won't work with diskettes, but to keep your cat from
chewing on power, etc. cords, rub them down with some soap.  Unless
the cat is VERY strange, this should make them taste bad so they'll
stop chewing on them.
--
  H3nry C. Schmitt     | CompuServe: 72275,1456  (Rarely)
 Royal Inn of Yoruba   | UUCP: Henry@chinet.chi.il.us  (Best Bet)