[comp.sys.mac.misc] MacX - simple problem

rosenblg@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Gary J. Rosenblum) (10/18/90)

Howdy,

	A simple question - how can I get the windows to show up in
color on my Mac IIcx?  I have a unix host xyz, and say
xterm -bd red -bg blue -fg purple <and so on>, but all I get is a
black and white window.  Am I doing something obviously wrong?  Thanks.

					Gary

Gary J. Rosenblum
UNIX Systems Manager			rosenblg@nyu.edu
New York University			gary@nyu.edu

rpcfod@uarthur.UUCP (Robert Patt-Corner) (10/18/90)

The only thing that occurs to me is that you need to specify one
of the color numbered displays.  As I recall, the display numbers
are:

0 Mono Rootless
1 Mono Rooted (Need this for MOTIF and other non-Mac winMgrs)
2 Color Rootless
3 Color Rooted

Sometimes you not only need to specify the display in the Mac-side
config, but also in the target environment.  In unix you set
the DISPLAY shell variable, indicating the desired root.

Hope this helps ... I'm new at this too.

edmoy@violet.berkeley.edu (10/19/90)

In article <50433@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> rosenblg@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Gary J. Rosenblum) writes:
>Howdy,
>
>	A simple question - how can I get the windows to show up in
>color on my Mac IIcx?  I have a unix host xyz, and say
>xterm -bd red -bg blue -fg purple <and so on>, but all I get is a
>black and white window.  Am I doing something obviously wrong?  Thanks.

You need to specify "-display machost:0.2" to get a rootless color window
or "-display machost:0.3" for a rooted color window, where "machost" is the
IP host name or address of your Mac..

Edward Moy				Principal Programmer - Macintosh & Unix
Workstation Support Services		Workstation Software Support Group
University of California
Berkeley, CA  94720

edmoy@violet.Berkeley.EDU
ucbvax!violet!edmoy

fogel@herald.usask.ca (Earl Fogel) (10/19/90)

In article <50433@cmcl2.NYU.EDU> rosenblg@cmcl2.NYU.EDU (Gary J. Rosenblum) writes:
>	A simple question - how can I get the windows to show up in
>color on my Mac IIcx?  I have a unix host xyz, and say
>xterm -bd red -bg blue -fg purple <and so on>, but all I get is a
>black and white window.  Am I doing something obviously wrong?  Thanks.

You have to tell X to use color when you start it.
That is, in /usr/bin/X11/X11 add the options -screen 0
and -depth 0 to the call to xinit, ie.:

xinit xterm -geometry 60x8+0+0 -sb -fn 6x10 -T "console" -e $X11START \
	-- XmacII -screen 0 -depth 8 -logo -v $* >> $DEBUGLOG 2>&1

Since I don't use color all the time, I left the original file alone,
and did this to a copy.  When I want color I use X11c, and when I don't
I use X11.

Earl Fogel    (fogel@sask.usask.ca)
Computing Services
University of Saskatchewan