[comp.sys.mac.misc] Fileserver problem

tboyce@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tom David Boyce) (10/18/90)

Here's a question for Appleshare administrator types.

As you may know, Appleshare File Server allows applications access to one user
or all users on an appleshare network -- with no inbetween.  Do you know of any add-on or alternate File Server which bypasses this limitation?

Two programs that have been brought to my attention are:
	KeyServer [sp?] and	Waterloo MacJANET

Any information would be helpful, especially working experience with whatever
products are suggested.

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Boyce
tdboyce@globie.caltech.edu

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct17.233700.5481@nntp-server.caltech.edu> tboyce@nntp-server.caltech.edu (Tom David Boyce) writes:
>Here's a question for Appleshare administrator types.
>
>As you may know, Appleshare File Server allows applications access to one user
>or all users on an appleshare network -- with no inbetween.  Do you know of any add-on or alternate File Server which bypasses this limitation?

Could you be a bit more specific?  I'm completely baffled as to what you're
referring to here.  For the past two years, I ran our AppleShare server here
under a key disk scheme, and we had certain sets of applications available to
various groups of users and not to others.  As far as I know, AppleShare
doesn't limit you to granting any single folder's access privileges to
"one user or all users...with no inbetween"; if I've read your question
correctly.

Please post a more specific example.  Thanks.

chaz

--
Jury Acquit Notorious Axe Murderer From Outer Space.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone