[comp.sys.mac.misc] New Macintosh Information...

daveo@apple.com (David M. O'Rourke) (10/16/90)

This is off of AppleLink and I believe it's an "official announcement".

Please direct any questions regarding it's content to your local Apple
Dealer.

Thanks
---
Lower Cost Macintosh Personal Computers Target New Customers

FREMONT, California--October 15, 1990--In a move to reach more people with
Macintosh personal computers, Apple Computer, Inc. today announced a suite of
new low-cost Macintosh products.  These new products effectively reduce the
entry price to Macintosh computing by 50 percent.  Additionally, the products
integrate innovative sound input capabilities that let customers quickly and
easily add sound to their documents while retaining all the powerful,
easy-to-use features that customers demand.

"To reach new customers, we didn't just lower the prices of our existing
products.  We redesigned these computers from the ground up with the features
customers have told us they value most," said John Sculley, Apple's chairman
and chief executive officer.  "In doing so, we've raised the standard of what
customers can expect from low-cost personal computing.  Many people have told
us that they wanted Macintosh, but price was a barrier.  With this
introduction, we can break down that barrier.  These new computers mark an
aggressive new corporate commitment to reach more people with Macintosh."

The computers were designed to reach new customers in business, government,
education and the home.  The newest members of the Macintosh family are the
Apple Macintosh Classic, the lowest cost Macintosh; the Apple Macintosh LC, the
lowest cost color Macintosh; and the Apple Macintosh IIsi, the lowest cost
Macintosh II.  Each computer shares the flagship characteristics of Macintosh:
unsurpassed ease-of-use, built-in networking with "plug-and-go" simplicity,
compatibility with thousands of innovative applications, and a solid foundation
for computing today and in the future.

Recognizing the importance of lowering the cost of the entire system, Apple
also introduced several low-cost peripherals that complement the new computers.
Among these are new color and monochrome monitors and extras such as an
expansion card that allows Apple IIe-compatible software to run on the
Macintosh LC.

Apple revealed today that initial market acceptance for the new products has
been strong.  In fact, the company has received more initial orders for the
Macintosh Classic than any other computer in the its history.

Macintosh Classic
As the most affordable member of the family, the Macintosh Classic lowers the
suggested retail price of Macintosh computing by more than 50 percent. Its
small, all-in-one design embodies the valued features of the most popular
Macintosh model ever, the Macintosh SE, while keeping the familiar
transportable design. Suggested retail prices for the Classic, which uses the
Motorola 68000 microprocessor, start at $999.  Apple believes that the
Macintosh Classic will attract many first-time computer buyers.

Macintosh LC
The Macintosh LC represents a totally new modular design.  The slim, elegant
computer offers customers a robust, yet low-cost color system.  The Macintosh
LC reduces the suggested retail price of color Macintosh computing by 60
percent. The LC includes built-in support for three monitors and supports up to
256 colors, sound input, and optional Apple IIe software compatibility with
more than 10,000 applications.  Built around a 16-megahertz (MHz) Motorola
68020 microprocessor and offered for a suggested retail price of $2,499, the
Macintosh LC is expected to be a popular choice for both newcomers to computing
as well as Macintosh Plus or Macintosh SE owners looking to upgrade.

Macintosh IIsi
The Macintosh IIsi lowers the cost of Macintosh II-class computing by
delivering the performance of the Macintosh IIcx for more than $2,200 less
(based on suggested retail price).  The capabilities of the IIsi will appeal to
customers who must balance performance and affordability.  Although the lowest
cost member of the Macintosh II line, the Macintosh IIsi retains the most
desired features of the high-end, modular systems--high performance, most
monitor options, and industry-standard NuBus expansion.  The Macintosh IIsi
provides built-in support for any of four different monitors and up to 256
colors or shades of gray, as well as the new sound input capability.  Featuring
a sleek new design and high performance derived from a 20MHz Motorola 68030
microprocessor, the Macintosh IIsi will appeal to customers who need even more
responsive computers. The basic configuration of the Macintosh IIsi has a
suggested retail price of $3,769.

Sound Input Capability
The new sound input capability is standard on the Macintosh IIsi and Macintosh
LC. Both systems come with a microphone that allows customers to record and
store their voice.  In addition to built-in sound input in the new Macintosh LC
and IIsi systems, every Macintosh since its introduction in 1984 can play back
the recorded sounds stored in word processing documents, spreadsheets,
databases, and electronic mail messages.  And, any Macintosh user can add sound
input using third-party digitizers.

"We expect to see customers use sound like they use graphics today--with the
ease and power of cut-and-paste simplicity," said Sculley.  "Developers such as
ACIUS, T/Maker, Microsoft, CE Software and Ashton-Tate are heartily endorsing
the technology and are introducing products that deliver sound input as a
common element of personal computing."

Apple is also providing a new version of system software that standardizes the
way developers implement sound, making it an intuitive and simple process to
use.

"The addition of sound input to these new Macintosh computers lets us offer
even more powerful and easy-to-use applications--applications that are only
possible on the Macintosh," said Heidi Roizen, president and CEO of T/Maker
Company.  "That's why we feel strongly that Macintosh applications give
customers a clear and unique advantage over users of other computers."

Apple II Software Compatibility
Apple also announced a small expansion card for the Macintosh LC that allows it
to run the more than 10,000 applications written for the popular Apple II line.
The Apple IIe Card runs Apple IIe compatible software while taking advantage of
the hard disk, floppy disk, monitor, and built-in networking ports of the
Macintosh LC. The Apple IIe Card also provides support for joysticks and
5.25-inch floppy disk drives. The $199 suggested retail price of the card
positions it as an important bridge for those customers, particularly
elementary and secondary schools, who want to move to Macintosh but wish to
protect an investment in Apple II software.

Lower Cost Displays
Rounding out the new Macintosh announcements are two new displays--the
Macintosh 12-inch RGB Display and the Macintosh 12-inch Monochrome Display.
These displays retain the distinctive characteristics for which Apple displays
are known--sharp focus, high contrast and vibrant colors.  Customers can now
have a 256-color capable, 12-inch display for $599 suggested retail price or a
high-resolution 12-inch monochrome display with a bright, easy-to-read screen
for a suggested retail price of $299.

Pricing and Availability

Also, for the first time, the new computers will be available simultaneously in
the United States, Europe and the Pacific region.  The Macintosh IIsi and
Macintosh Classic are available in volume worldwide today.  The Macintosh LC
will ship in limited quantities in the fourth calendar quarter of 1990 and will
be available in volume worldwide in late January 1991.  Manufacturer's
suggested retail prices (MSRP) and configurations, through all Apple authorized
resellers in the United States, are as follows:

ProductMSRPAvailability
- Macintosh Classic, 1MB RAM/SuperDrive Floppy      $999       Immediate
- Macintosh Classic, 2MB RAM/40MB Hard Disk         $1,499     Immediate

- Macintosh LC, 2MB RAM/40MB Hard Disk              $2,499      Limited
                                                    Quantity-Calendar Q4 1990
                                                    In Volume-Late January 1991

- Macintosh IIsi, 2MB RAM/40MB Hard Disk            $3,769      Immediate
- Macintosh IIsi, 5MB RAM/80MB Hard Disk            $4,569      Immediate

- Macintosh 12" RGB Display                         $599        Immediate
- Macintosh 12" Monochrome Display                  $299        December 1990*
- Apple IIe Card                                    $199        March 1991

*Existing Apple High-Resolution Monochrome Monitor is currently available.  The
suggested retail price is reduced to $299 effective immediately.

(Prices and configurations may vary outside the United States.)

The Macintosh Classic and the Macintosh LC include a keyboard. A choice of
keyboard is offered separately with the Macintosh IIsi. All systems come
standard with a mouse, complete documentation, Macintosh System Software,
HyperCard 2.0 software, training disks, and a one-year limited warranty.  As
with all Macintosh computers, these three new systems will run System 7.0,
Apple's next major release of the Macintosh operating system.

-30-

Apple, the Apple logo, Macintosh, and HyperCard are registered trademarks of
Apple Computer, Inc.  Classic is a registered trademark used under license by
Apple Computer, Inc.  NuBus is a trademark of Texas Instruments.

minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) (10/16/90)

> This is off of AppleLink and I believe it's an "official announcement".
>
> Please direct any questions regarding it's content to your local Apple
> Dealer.

But they often know so little...

[...]

> Lower Cost Displays
> Rounding out the new Macintosh announcements are two new displays--the
> Macintosh 12-inch RGB Display and the Macintosh 12-inch Monochrome Display.
> These displays retain the distinctive characteristics for which Apple displays
> are known--sharp focus, high contrast and vibrant colors.  Customers can now
> have a 256-color capable, 12-inch display for $599 suggested retail price or a
> high-resolution 12-inch monochrome display with a bright, easy-to-read screen
> for a suggested retail price of $299.

[...]
[ New monochrome monitor qill be available in quantity in December ]*

> *Existing Apple High-Resolution Monochrome Monitor is currently available.
>  The suggested retail price is reduced to $299 effective immediately.

  Are these monitors actually anything new or different or is this s
roundabout way of lowering prices??? I haven't seen anything to match
Apples standard 13" color monitor in its price range and I have no idea
what one would do to improve an already excellent monochrome monitor
(_besides_ lowering its price! :-)
--
|_    /| | Robert Minich            |
|\'o.O'  | Oklahoma State University| A fanatic is one who sticks to

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct16.035308.15999@d.cs.okstate.edu> minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:
>> Please direct any questions regarding it's content to your local Apple
>> Dealer.
>
>But they often know so little...

	I'll second that - I'm usually the one telling the local dealer
about the latest and greatest in Apple.  <sigh>

[discussing the new monitors...]
>  Are these monitors actually anything new or different or is this s
>roundabout way of lowering prices??? I haven't seen anything to match
>Apples standard 13" color monitor in its price range and I have no idea
>what one would do to improve an already excellent monochrome monitor
>(_besides_ lowering its price! :-)

	The new 12" RGB only has an on-screen resolution of 512x384 at
64 dpi, compared to the 13" RGB with 640x480.  The 12" Monochrome
is 640x480 @ 76 dpi.  The case is redesigned, too - looks squarer than
the 13" RGB.

	BTW, has anyone but me noticed that the LC can't display 8-bit
color on the 13" RGB monitor without 512k additional VRAM?  But it -can-
display 8-bit color on the new 12" RGB (smaller screen).  What do you
want to bet this is the heritage of Apple's original intent to release
the LC as a 4-bit color machine?

| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct16.035308.15999@d.cs.okstate.edu>, minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes:
| > This is off of AppleLink and I believe it's an "official announcement".
| > Lower Cost Displays
| > Rounding out the new Macintosh announcements are two new displays--the
| > Macintosh 12-inch RGB Display and the Macintosh 12-inch Monochrome Display.
| > have a 256-color capable, 12-inch display for $599 suggested retail price or a
| > high-resolution 12-inch monochrome display with a bright, easy-to-read screen
| > for a suggested retail price of $299.
|
|   Are these monitors actually anything new or different or is this s
| roundabout way of lowering prices??? I haven't seen anything to match
| Apples standard 13" color monitor in its price range and I have no idea

These new 12" monitors, as I understand it, are only 512x342 pixels.  NOT
what *I* am looking for personally, but it may be for some people.
--
Richard Straka                    AT&T Bell Laboratories, IH-6K311
UUCP:     att!ihlpf!straka        MSDOS: All the wonderfully arcane

Jim.Matthews@dartmouth.edu (Jim Matthews) (10/16/90)

In article <5733@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu
(Jim Gaynor) writes:
> 	BTW, has anyone but me noticed that the LC can't display 8-bit
> color on the 13" RGB monitor without 512k additional VRAM?  But it -can-
> display 8-bit color on the new 12" RGB (smaller screen).  What do you
> want to bet this is the heritage of Apple's original intent to release
> the LC as a 4-bit color machine?

It may also be a concession to the LC's limited performance.  It appears
that the LC has a 16-bit data path, so its performance will be roughly
equivalent to the Mac Portable.  It's the slowest machine to run Color
QuickDraw, and 640x480x8 is a lot of bits to move around.  But at least
there is a slot for VRAM -- I assumed they would leave that out in order
to cut costs.  They did leave out the Apple Sound Chip, so the LC won't have
stereo sound.

The LC will sell by the truck-load, but it's made me appreciate the SE/30.
The SE/30 is the oldest Mac still sold, and it is smaller than all but the
Classic, faster than all but the IIci and IIfx (it beats the IIsi if you
count floating point), and it has stereo sound.  An SE/30 with an external
color monitor is price-competitive with the IIsi, plus you get floating
point and transportability.  It used to be that Apple made cheap machines
by making expensive machines and letting them age.  Now they're trying to
design low-end machines, but the SE/30 is proof that the old way sometimes
worked.

Jim Matthews
Dartmouth Software Development
--

ewm@mdavcr.UUCP (Eric W. Mitchell) (10/16/90)

In article <5733@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>	BTW, has anyone but me noticed that the LC can't display 8-bit
>color on the 13" RGB monitor without 512k additional VRAM?  But it -can-
>display 8-bit color on the new 12" RGB (smaller screen).  What do you
>want to bet this is the heritage of Apple's original intent to release
>the LC as a 4-bit color machine?

I noticed.

I wouldn't be surprised if you were right on the reason, as well.
Apparently, Apple changed the colour capabilities of the LC just a
couple of months before the release, to "respond to educators needs".

Jeez, maybe Apple should stop doing all this R&D and do a little market
research before they release their machines.  ;~)

(Yeah, yeah.  I know they do - but sometimes I think it all goes into the
"circular file".)

Eric

disclaimer.  <- Need I say more?

jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.035308.15999@d.cs.okstate.edu>
minich@d.cs.okstate.edu (Robert Minich) writes concerning
the lower-cost displays announced Monday by Apple:
>  Are these monitors actually anything new or different or is this s
>roundabout way of lowering prices??? I haven't seen anything to match
>Apples standard 13" color monitor in its price range and I have no idea
>what one would do to improve an already excellent monochrome monitor
>(_besides_ lowering its price! :-)

The new monitors have a lower resolution than the current color and
monochrome monitors (512x384, as opposed to 640x480), and consequently
the dpi is lower (I think it works out to around 62 dpi, as opposed to
69 dpi for the Apple 13" high-res color monitor, 75 dpi for the Apple
12" high-res monochrome monitor, and 72 dpi for the original Mac screen).
Also, I understand the new low-cost color monitor does not have a
Trinitron tube, unlike the older 13" color monitor. The Trinitron is
generally considered to give a crisper and brighter color picture.
--
========= jeanne a. e. devoto ========================================
 jdevoto@apple.com     |  You may not distribute this article under a

lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Rob Lentz) (10/17/90)

In article <45674@apple.Apple.COM> daveo@apple.com (David M. O'Rourke) writes:
>This is off of AppleLink and I believe it's an "official announcement".
>
>Please direct any questions regarding it's content to your local Apple
>Dealer.
>
>Thanks
>The Macintosh Classic and the Macintosh LC include a keyboard. A choice of
>keyboard is offered separately with the Macintosh IIsi. All systems come
>standard with a mouse, complete documentation, Macintosh System Software,
>HyperCard 2.0 software, training disks, and a one-year limited warranty.  As
 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>with all Macintosh computers, these three new systems will run System 7.0,
>Apple's next major release of the Macintosh operating system.

Does this mean the rest of us can get Hypercard 2.0 right now?
I do not yet see it on apple.com.

-Robert Lentz
lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

ewright@convex.com (Edward V. Wright) (10/17/90)

In <25149@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> Jim.Matthews@dartmouth.edu (Jim Matthews) writes:

>The SE/30 is the oldest Mac still sold, and it is smaller than all but the
>Classic, faster than all but the IIci and IIfx (it beats the IIsi if you
>count floating point)

Of course, you can add a 20-MHz FPU to the IIsi pretty cheaply.  (In
fact, have to if you want to use any PDS or NuBus expansion board.)

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (10/18/90)

In article <45695@apple.Apple.COM> jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto)
writes:
> Also, I understand the new low-cost color monitor does not have a
> Trinitron tube, unlike the older 13" color monitor. The Trinitron is
> generally considered to give a crisper and brighter color picture.

Although when I saw the two side-by-side Monday (admittedly from the back
of the room) the new Mitsubishi monitor was noticeably brighter.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/18/90)

In article <45695@apple.Apple.COM> jdevoto@Apple.COM (Jeanne A. E. DeVoto) writes:
>In article <1990Oct16.035308.15999@d.cs.okstate.edu>
>>  Are these monitors actually anything new or different or is this s
>>roundabout way of lowering prices??? I haven't seen anything to match
>>Apples standard 13" color monitor in its price range and I have no idea
>>what one would do to improve an already excellent monochrome monitor
>>(_besides_ lowering its price! :-)

I've deleted some stuff here and there and everywhere, please forgive me!

All I want to add is that these monitors are made by Mitsubishi and there
will also be an update to the 12" colour monitor to coincide with the //e
compatible card.  The //e card requires a different scan rate for its video,
so the updated monitor will be multi (well, at least two:) scan.

Also, has anyone noticed this is the first product that Apple has made for the
Mac WITHOUT AN APPLE LOGO!!!  I couldn't find any logos on these new monitors.

**My employers don't understand me, so I guess I'm on my own when I speak out**
Norton Chia		|	I *think* my address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU

lsr@Apple.COM (Larry Rosenstein) (10/19/90)

straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) writes:

>These new 12" monitors, as I understand it, are only 512x342 pixels.  NOT
>what *I* am looking for personally, but it may be for some people.

I believe the 12" monochrome monitor is 640x480.  The 12" color monitor is
--
		 Larry Rosenstein,  Object Specialist
 Apple Computer, Inc.  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 3-PK  Cupertino, CA 95014