[comp.sys.mac.misc] ATM & Deskwriter?

whiteheada@yvax.byu.edu (10/19/90)

Can anyone tell me if there are any *HUGE* advantages of using ATM with
the Deskwriter? I just bought a DW the other day and am very pleased with
it but miss the ability to scale fonts above 24 point.

Armand Whitehead
BYU

jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) (10/19/90)

>Can anyone tell me if there are any *HUGE* advantages of using ATM with
>the Deskwriter? I just bought a DW the other day and am very pleased with
>it but miss the ability to scale fonts above 24 point.
                                              ^^!?

The fonts that come with the DeskWriter can be scaled to 100+ points.
Your _software_ may have some limitation (or require some effort
to acess non-standard sizes) that wont go away with ATM.

The *huge* advantage of atm is the ability to use readily available
postscript (type 1) fonts.  If you are happy with Times, Courier,
and Helvetica, then ATM is not necessary.

One advantage of the Deskwriter fonts is that they can be rotated
(at 90deg increments).

--
please let me know if you see multiple copies of my postings
  (one copy of my opinion is one too many right :-)

-george   @sol1.lrsm.upenn.edu

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (10/20/90)

In article <31397@netnews.upenn.edu> jeffe@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (George Jefferson ) writes:
>The fonts that come with the DeskWriter can be scaled to 100+ points.
>Your _software_ may have some limitation (or require some effort
>to acess non-standard sizes) that wont go away with ATM.

Well, if you buy the additional fonts available from HP (designed for the Agfa
driver they use), then you can have a full compliment of standard LaserWriter
fonts that have the same characteristics as those that come in the box.

Regards,

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *