[comp.sys.mac.misc] Any GOOD reasons to buy Classic vs. SE

roy@phri.nyu.edu (Roy Smith) (10/20/90)

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) writes:
> considering that they stole an ADB port, the right to have two internal
> floppies, and the expansion slot (oh, does it have an external floppy
> port?) it's no WONDER they could reduce the component count and then
> optimize what was left.

	You sound like you think these were bad decisions.  To me, it sounds
like what Apple did was to figure out what features of an SE were rarely used
and drop them, which is good engineering sense (didn't this idea get the
whole RISC bandwagon rolling?).  Somebody said that only 5% of SE expansion
slots were ever used.  I'm surprised it was that high.  I don't think I've
ever seen a Mac which made use of the external floppy port, and to my mind,
the choice between spending $150 on a second internal floppy drive and $300
on an internal 40 meg hard disk is easy; you get the hard disk (even if it
was $100 vs. $400 there is still no trouble deciding).

> it boggles the mind why Apple decided to spend EXTRA money developing a
> new machine to replace its low end lineup that offers less functionality
> (missing parts) than the machines it replaced [...] I suppose the
> marketing types did it again.

	Pure conjecture on my part, but I suspect that most of the changes
between the SE and the Classic were engineering-driven to reduce the per-unit
production cost.  When you are churning out as many units as Apple did with
the Plus and SE, and presumably will do with the Classic, the development
costs get amortized away pretty quickly.  Marketing probably came up with the
name, however; no engineering type would have called it the Classic.  How
about the Mac++?

	What I never understood was why the SE cost so much more than the
Plus; the delta functionality was much smaller than the delta price.  Not to
mention that from what I understood, it actually cost Apple *less* to build
an SE than a Plus.  That was a pure case of marketing at it's best.  I can
remember several discussions with people planning on buying low-end Macs in
which I would explain that the Plus was a much better bang/buck machine
(especially before the SE price drop at the same time as the FDHD was added).
I would go over point-by-point the differences, and they would still buy the
SE becuase they were convinced it was so much better than the Plus, even
though they couldn't defend that decision in concrete terms.  If somebody
were to say to me "I'm buying an SE because I need to exchange floppys with
PCs", or "I'm buying an SE because need an ethernet connection", that would
have been a fine reason, but they never did, they just went for the "better"
machine.

	One interesting point about the product announcements.  There was a
little blurb about how Apple would continue to sell SEs to those customers to
whom they have contractual obligations.  Guess what that means?  Sometime
around 4 months ago, I helped the New York City Department of Health write
specs for a small network of Macs.  I ended up picking an SE/30 file server
(with 6 CD-ROM drives!) and two SEs off the Apple Government Price List (Why
SEs if I think they are bad machines?  Well, because within the total cost
allowance I was given, I could get either two Pluses or two SEs, but not
three Plusses.  A bad reason, perhaps, but that's the reason).  Anyway, 4
months later, and the order is still winding its way through the City red
tape.  My fear is that if I re-spec Classics instead of SEs at this point,
while I can save a lot of money (or, get more machines for the same price)
I'll also get put back to square one of the approval process, and they people
who need the machines can't afford to wait another 4-6 months.  And you
wonder why NYC is in such trouble?
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
roy@alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- {att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre}!phri!roy
"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"