[comp.sys.mac.misc] IIsi SIMM configuration

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.181025.28801@ecst.csuchico.edu> robin@cscihp.UUCP (Robin Goldstone) writes:
>I'm curious about the new RAM configurations, specifically in the IIsi.
>I heard that there is 1Mb RAM "on board", so this machine must then have
>four slots for SIMMS?  If so, then SIMMS must be installed in pairs (not
>counting the first 1MB)?
>
>If this is true, then you could have: 2MB, 3MB, 3.5 MB, 5MB, 9MB, 9.5MB,
>11MB, 17MB using combinations of 256K, 1MB and 4MB SIMMS!  Did I get
>all the permutations?  If Mark is right about 512K and 2MB SIMMS, then
>you could have -- oh forget it!

	The Mac IIsi has one bank of 4 SIMM slots, not 2 banks of 2.
Thus, you have to fill all four slots with the same kind of memory.
With the one meg of on-board RAM you get:

256k SIMMs: 2 Meg RAM
1meg SIMMs: 5 Meg RAM
4meg SIMMs: 17 Meg RAM

	At a meeting with some Apple folk, we were told that 512k
SIMMs and 2 meg SIMMs are going to be made - and that Technology Works
was already manufacturing the 2 meg SIMMs.  However, this was
mentioned in the context of discussing the Mac LC, and not the IIsi -
I am uncertain whether or not these two new SIMM types are LC-only
(like the IIfx's screwy SIMMs).

Please note crosspost to c.s.m.hardware, and followup accordingly.

| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/22/90)

In article <5818@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>In article <1990Oct17.181025.28801@ecst.csuchico.edu> robin@cscihp.UUCP (Robin Goldstone) writes:
>>I'm curious about the new RAM configurations, specifically in the IIsi.
>>I heard that there is 1Mb RAM "on board", so this machine must then have
>>four slots for SIMMS?  If so, then SIMMS must be installed in pairs (not
>>counting the first 1MB)?
>>
>>If this is true, then you could have: 2MB, 3MB, 3.5 MB, 5MB, 9MB, 9.5MB,
>>11MB, 17MB using combinations of 256K, 1MB and 4MB SIMMS!  Did I get
>>all the permutations?  If Mark is right about 512K and 2MB SIMMS, then
>>you could have -- oh forget it!
>
>	The Mac IIsi has one bank of 4 SIMM slots, not 2 banks of 2.
>Thus, you have to fill all four slots with the same kind of memory.
>With the one meg of on-board RAM you get:
>
>256k SIMMs: 2 Meg RAM
>1meg SIMMs: 5 Meg RAM
>4meg SIMMs: 17 Meg RAM
[deleted some other stuff]

The 512K and 2 meg SIMMs will work with the IIsi and ci.  I'm not sure if it
will work with the LC tho'.

so for the IIsi memory configuration, don't forget the 1 meg already on board:
empty slots:	1 meg (really useful :)
4 x 256K SIMMs:	2 meg
4 x 512K SIMMs: 3 meg
4 x 1meg SIMMs:	5 meg
4 x 2meg SIMMs:	9 meg
4 x 4meg SIMMs:	17 meg

So that's (not counting empty slots) 2,3,5,9 and 17.  With System 7.0, 2 megs
will not be sufficient if using on board RAM for video.

**My employers don't understand me, so I guess I'm on my own when I speak out**
Norton Chia		|	I *think* my address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU