[comp.sys.mac.misc] New pricing for MacIIci

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/16/90)

Has anyone heard or seen what the price reductions will look like
for the MacIIci?  I think I would rather pay a wee extra for the
extra slots.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I saw the 2 page ad in today's NY Times for the new machines.
VERY NICE!  I don't know how Atari and Commodore are going to make it
if they have to cut their margins further to compete with these new
low-end machines.

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/16/90)

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> Has anyone heard or seen what the price reductions will look like
> for the MacIIci?  I think I would rather pay a wee extra for the
> extra slots.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

If I am not mistaken, I believe the IIci has already taken all the
price reductions Apple plans on giving it. You should see it priced
similar to the IIcx in your area.

John

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/17/90)

In article <q965q4w163w@tosh.UUCP> tosh!starta@asuvax.eas.asu.edu (John Starta) writes:
>cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>
>> Has anyone heard or seen what the price reductions will look like
>> for the MacIIci?  I think I would rather pay a wee extra for the
>> extra slots.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.
>
>If I am not mistaken, I believe the IIci has already taken all the
>price reductions Apple plans on giving it. You should see it priced
>similar to the IIcx in your area.

Well, the IIcx was selling for about $2750.  The IIci is selling for
$3300.  That is for equivalent RAM,disk, no keyboard, etc...systems.

With the si being so much cheaper, maybe I'll forget about the
extra slots of the ci (oh yeah, and the FPU).  BTW, how much would
a 68882 cost "on the street" if you wanted to buy one later and pop
it in yourself?

>John

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.134335.24010@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> With the si being so much cheaper, maybe I'll forget about the
> extra slots of the ci (oh yeah, and the FPU).  BTW, how much would
> a 68882 cost "on the street" if you wanted to buy one later and pop
> it in yourself?

It doesn't work that way. To get the FPU, you have to buy the NuBus or PDS
slot adaptor ($249 list; educational price $162 + whatever markup your
school charges).

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/18/90)

In article <4204@lib.tmc.edu> drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>In article <1990Oct17.134335.24010@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
>cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>> With the si being so much cheaper, maybe I'll forget about the
>> extra slots of the ci (oh yeah, and the FPU).  BTW, how much would
>> a 68882 cost "on the street" if you wanted to buy one later and pop
>> it in yourself?
>
>It doesn't work that way. To get the FPU, you have to buy the NuBus or PDS
>slot adaptor ($249 list; educational price $162 + whatever markup your
>school charges).

Aha!  The hook! :-)  In that case, the prices of the ci and si (for me)
get a little closer.  What is net.wisdom on this subject?  Is it really
worth an extra $500-700 dollars for 2 more slots and 5 more mhz (and no
cute little mic)?

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/18/90)

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:

> With the si being so much cheaper, maybe I'll forget about the
> extra slots of the ci (oh yeah, and the FPU).  BTW, how much would
> a 68882 cost "on the street" if you wanted to buy one later and pop
> it in yourself?

It isn't that simple, Chris. In order for you to add the FPU, you will
have to buy the NuBus or PDS slot adaptor. That will run you $249 retail;
$162 consortium (plus whatever markup your U. decides to take).

John

ez000453@pollux (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct17.215512.16579@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <4204@lib.tmc.edu> drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) writes:
>>In article <1990Oct17.134335.24010@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>
>>cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>
>Aha!  The hook! :-)  In that case, the prices of the ci and si (for me)
>get a little closer.  What is net.wisdom on this subject?  Is it really
>worth an extra $500-700 dollars for 2 more slots and 5 more mhz (and no
If you are partial to adding some 'affordable' after-market zip, the
cache card for the IIci is a big plus.
Anyone know of any plans to do the same for the IIsi?

oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo oo
o  COLIN ONG              Dept. Land, Air & Water Resources                 o
o  cgong@ucdavis.edu      University of California, Davis CA 95616          o
o  ez000453@deneb.ucdavis.edu                    FULLY DISCLAIMED!          o

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/19/90)

ez000453@pollux writes:

> If you are partial to adding some 'affordable' after-market zip, the
> cache card for the IIci is a big plus.
> Anyone know of any plans to do the same for the IIsi?

Unless a redesign has taken place between Monday and today, there are
no plans nor is there support for a cache card like that of the IIci.

John

unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) (10/19/90)

The consortium price list here at Purdue Univ. doesn't include a IIci with
just 1 MEG of RAM.  Does this configuration still exist?  If not, will Apple
reintroduce this configuration after all of the IIcx's have been cleared?
I'm sure I can get RAM cheaper from 3rd party vendors

Rumors, inside-facts, & opinions PLEASE!!

--

Robert S. Unoki
unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

dgb@unislc.uucp (Douglas Barrett) (10/22/90)

From article <1990Oct15.200645.22646@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, by cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz):
> I don't know how Atari and Commodore are going to make it if they
> have to cut their margins further to compete with these new low-end
> machines.

Easy!  As always they will sell machines which perform at or above
the top of the Mac line for prices at or below the bottom of Mac's
line.  The Amiga and (mythical) TT give nothing to the fx in power,
come as complete systems, and can be bought in stores at prices that
are only met by mail/student pricing on the si (when you add, (oh
gasp) a key board and display).  But then if want cache,....

Douglas Barrett                               I speak for myself
Unix Systems Programmer
Unisys, SLC Utah

6600patb@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Pat Breitenbach) (10/22/90)

In article <15380@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> unokirs@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Robert S. Unoki) writes:

>The consortium price list here at Purdue Univ. doesn't include a IIci with
>just 1 MEG of RAM.  Does this configuration still exist?  If not, will Apple
>reintroduce this configuration after all of the IIcx's have been cleared?

I would doubt it.  I wondered this as well and was told that
all new machines would have 2+ megs RAM in order to support
7.0.  The 1/20 Classic an exception, I guess.  Their calling
the 4 meg config a vanilla box is ridiculous since very few
to none would use the thing w/o a hard drive.

>I'm sure I can get RAM cheaper from 3rd party vendors

I should hope so.  I spotted some for $37/meg.

>Rumors, inside-facts, & opinions PLEASE!!

I witnessed Apple's employee prices this summer right when they
discontinued the 1 meg config.  The 4 meg machine sold for $650
more than the 1 meg machine!!  I was just about to get one too.
I even had a friend who went down to pick one up at the company
store before the discontinuation, was told they were out of the
1 meg config, and then had to purchase the 4 meg machine.
(I didn't try to justify the paragraph)
A vanilla IIci should come with 1 meg and no hard drive, IMHO.

-Patrick	Internet: 6600patb@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu