[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple.Com Question

robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/17/90)

Where on Apple.com is the system software?  Which directory, etc.

Thanks

ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (10/17/90)

In pub/dts/sw.license, I think. It's only 6.0.5, and you _must_
download all 4 disks, and the diskCopy program used to extract it.
(It's also stuffed and binhexed).

I dl's it but had so many new crashes that I went back to 6.0.2. Now
If only I could find 6.0.3 or .4.

Mark Lanett

robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/17/90)

Ahh, /pub/dts.  "Dts" just screams, "I am Mac software!" to me.  *Sigh*
Thanks to everyone who responded.

robs@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

    "I wasn't talking to YOU!" -- Worf

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (10/18/90)

In article <143400028@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>In pub/dts/sw.license, I think. It's only 6.0.5, and you _must_
>download all 4 disks, and the diskCopy program used to extract it.
>(It's also stuffed and binhexed).
>I dl's it but had so many new crashes that I went back to 6.0.2. Now
>If only I could find 6.0.3 or .4.
>Mark Lanett

	Been using 6.0.5 since it came out Mark, if you had problems
	with it, it was either bad, improperly installed, or something
	else that you use was causing the problem. 6.0.5 works fine.

	6.0.7 is now on Apple.com... got it a few hours ago. Have not
	installed it yet, but expect no problems...

--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.

george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) (10/18/90)

In article <2890@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>	6.0.7 is now on Apple.com... got it a few hours ago. Have not
>	installed it yet, but expect no problems...

I just installed 6.0.7 on my SE.  Everything seems to work OK, but I think my
speaker is "popping" more than it used to.  Maybe I never noticed it before,
but if I open the control panel, click on the speaker volume slider (which is
set to 7), I hear *POP*<insert appropriate beep here>.  More clicks give more
beeps, but now without the *POP*.  I then close the control panel, and again I
hear a *POP*.  I've heard this "popping" before, but I've never have heard it
as often as I am now.  What gives?

--
   /   George D. Nincehelser           \  uunet!swbatl!george       \
  / /   Southwestern Bell Telephone     \  Phone: (314) 235-6544     \

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (10/18/90)

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:

>	6.0.7 is now on Apple.com... got it a few hours ago. Have not
>	installed it yet, but expect no problems...

I downloaded it.  According to the README it breaks hypercards earlier
than 2.0.  I wonder what else it breaks.

Rhetorical question, is Hypercard available for FTP anywhere?  {The answer
turns out to be no.}
Non-rhetorical question, are there any machines that have anonymous FTP and
on which Hypercard 2.0 has been inadvertently mounted (reply by E-mail :-)?

How can I get the init that allows MacRecorder type hardware to work?
How do use this new system software in my programs?
Are there any technotes about this?

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu (Ken Hancock) (10/18/90)

In article <2890@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>In article <143400028@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ml27192@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>	Been using 6.0.5 since it came out Mark, if you had problems
>	with it, it was either bad, improperly installed, or something
>	else that you use was causing the problem. 6.0.5 works fine.
>
>	6.0.7 is now on Apple.com... got it a few hours ago. Have not
>	installed it yet, but expect no problems...

You shouldn't have any.  I upgraded last night with only one problem --
the copy of SunDesk I hacked for not-just-finder color icons didn't like
a lot of my INITs (Magic Menu, DA Menuz).  Evidently, whatever I hacked
was pretty evil.  So, out goes my hacked SunDesk, in goes a fresh copy.
No problems.  (My hacked copy, worse yet, unblessed the System Folder
after every boot -- talking about EVIL!)

Ken

--
Ken Hancock                   | INTERNET: kenh@hscfsas1.harvard.edu
Isle Systems                  | Disclaimer: My opinions are mine,

lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Rob Lentz) (10/18/90)

In article <2890@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>	6.0.7 is now on Apple.com... got it a few hours ago. Have not
>	installed it yet, but expect no problems...

True, unless you use Hypercard. Unless you have somehow managed to
magically acquire a copy of Hypercard 2.0.

I downloaded System 6.0.7 last night with the intent of upgrading a lab I
manage, but fortunately I noticed a little line down at the bottom of the
Readme on the Systems Tools disk which says that 6.0.7 is incompatible with
Hypercard 1.2.5 or earlier. You must use Hypercard 2.0 with 6.0.7.
Unfortunately Hypercard 2.0 is not available on Apple.com (yet) that I
could find. I know there is a problem with space and time, but I doubt the
gdead (or other) stuff is really necessary (replace it when the new machine
comes online) and I find it frustrating that a company with Apple's
resources (profits) would not remedy such problems (and others) as the lack
of staff time. Mark is doing a good job and I appreciate that, but since he
has so much to do I would expect Apple to find someone to assist him on
some of his projects.

Getting down off of my soapbox...

>--
>Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
>3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.
>Enterprise Systems Division             (I disclaim anything and everything)
>UUCP: {3comvax,auspex,sun}!bridge2!ngg  Internet: ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM

-Robert Lentz
lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (10/18/90)

On the subject of early HyperCard versions and System 6.0.7,
I've found at least one HyperCard stack -- the NetNews Reader I
used to use -- which will *not* run when converted to HC 2.0
format.  So I tried it under HC 1.2.5 while still running System
6.0.7.

What do you know?!  No problems at all!

(BTW, I'd like to get my own copy of HC 2.0 if someone can tell
me where it's available via FTP.  Thanks...)

--
David R. Zinkin  --> Case Western Reserve University (Student)
(drz@po.cwru.edu)    CWRU Macintosh User Group (Columnist & Consultant)

wangh@beasley.CS.ORST.EDU ( ) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.024736.22458@nntp-server.caltech.edu> palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) writes:
>ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>
>>	6.0.7 is now on Apple.com... got it a few hours ago. Have not
>>	installed it yet, but expect no problems...
>
>I downloaded it.  According to the README it breaks hypercards earlier
>than 2.0.  I wonder what else it breaks.

I found something interesting about HC and new system.

I downed the system 6.0.7 from apple.com yesterday and started my SE/30
which the new system tool disk. I tried to lunch HyperCard 1.2.5 from the
harddisk. As I expected, hypercard did not run at all. I said to myself: I
should have believed Apple. Today, I went to the computer base of OSU
bookstore, there is a Classic, a si, and some other macs. On the classic,
the system is 6.0.7. I tryed Hypercard, it worked fine. But when I looked at
the 'about hypercard' box, it is version 1.2!!!. I couldn't believe my eyes.
Is there something magic on the Classic or just simply the guys in bookstore
have better luch than I do?

wangh@ucs.orst.edu

davids@mondo.engin.umich.edu (David Snearline) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct18.014807.1655@swbatl.sbc.com> george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) writes:

>I just installed 6.0.7 on my SE.  Everything seems to work OK, but I think my
>speaker is "popping" more than it used to.  Maybe I never noticed it before,
>but if I open the control panel, click on the speaker volume slider (which is
>set to 7), I hear *POP*<insert appropriate beep here>.  More clicks give more
>beeps, but now without the *POP*.  I then close the control panel, and again I
>hear a *POP*.  I've heard this "popping" before, but I've never have heard it
>as often as I am now.  What gives?

I just installed system 6.0.7 on my machine also.  I also wondered why my
machine was "popping" all of the time too.  With a quick step into MacsBug
(my favorite application!), I quickly discovered what is going on.

The "pop" you hear for the first time a sound is played within an application
is bit 7 (vSndEnb) of the VIA being set (turned to 0).  According to the "Guide
to Macintosh Family Hardware", this is meant for compatibility purposes...
The _ExitToShell trap, once it has done a myriad of othe things, disables
vSndEnb when your application quits.  This causes another "pop".

Why is this different?  Because system 6.0.7 apparently has a new extended
Sound Manager that "supposedly" (don't quote me on this) will allow multiple
applications to use the Sound Manager together...  That would be cool.  But for
the time being, these clicks are beginning to annoy me.  :-)
--
David Snearline				Computer Aided Engineering Network
davids@mondo.engin.umich.edu		University of Michigan Engineering

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/21/90)

In article <574@casbah.acns.nwu.edu> lentz@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Rob Lentz) writes:
>In article <2890@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM> ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) writes:
>>	6.0.7 is now on Apple.com... got it a few hours ago. Have not
>>	installed it yet, but expect no problems...
>
>True, unless you use Hypercard. Unless you have somehow managed to
>magically acquire a copy of Hypercard 2.0.
>
>I downloaded System 6.0.7 last night with the intent of upgrading a lab I
>manage, but fortunately I noticed a little line down at the bottom of the
>Readme on the Systems Tools disk which says that 6.0.7 is incompatible with
>Hypercard 1.2.5 or earlier. You must use Hypercard 2.0 with 6.0.7.

Unless you turn the sound off.  Hypercard 1.x.x is incompatible with the System
7.0 Sound Manager, which is included in System 6.0.7.  If you turn the sound
off before launching HC 1.x, or put scripts like these two into your home stack,
you should be fine.

on play
  --do nothing
end play

on beep
  --do nothing
end beep

HyperCard 2.0 doesn't have this problem.

>Unfortunately Hypercard 2.0 is not available on Apple.com (yet) that I
>could find. I know there is a problem with space and time,

There is also a problem with lawyers.  Last I heard, HyperCard 2.0 will not be
made available on apple.com.

chaz

--
Belgian AI Experts resurrect Elvis.
 -- National Enquirer Photo Exclusive.

aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Alan D Danziger) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct18.014807.1655@swbatl.sbc.com> george@swbatl.sbc.com (George Nincehelser 5-6544) writes:
  I just installed 6.0.7 on my SE.  Everything seems to work OK, but I think my
  speaker is "popping" more than it used to.  Maybe I never noticed it before,
  but if I open the control panel, click on the speaker volume slider (which is  set to 7), I hear *POP*<insert appropriate beep here>.  More clicks give more
  beeps, but now without the *POP*.  I then close the control panel, and again
  I hear a *POP*.  I've heard this "popping" before, but I've never have heard
  it as often as I am now.  What gives?

That 'pop' noise is the sound manager initializing the speaker,
basically telling it that it can expect some input.  Other times it
happens are when SoundEdit from Farallon is run (or switched into or
out of using multifinder).

Alan D. Danziger,           | 753 South St,Waltham MA 02154 | No Jacket
aland@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu | MB 3130 / Brandeis University | Required.
(617) 894-6859              | PO Box 9110 Waltham MA 02254  |   Phil C.

laf@mbunix.mitre.org (Lee Fyock) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct18.161028.355@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> drz@po.CWRU.Edu
(David R. Zinkin) writes:
> I've found at least one HyperCard stack -- the NetNews Reader I
> used to use -- which will *not* run when converted to HC 2.0
> format.  So I tried it under HC 1.2.5 while still running System
> 6.0.7.

I'm running System 6.0.7, Hypercard 2.0 and the NetNews
Reader, version 1.2.1 with no problems whatsoever, as you
can tell from this post.

Lee

Lee Fyock              The MITRE Corporation
laf@mbunix.mitre.org   Bedford, MA