[comp.sys.mac.misc] New Macs .... they look great

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) (10/11/90)

In <ianh.655587033@morgana> ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:

>hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:

>>	Mac IIsi:    68030

What's the speed?

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (10/11/90)

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:

>Just picked up the Oct. 15 issue of BusinessWeek magazine which has
>a cover story on Apple Computer. They say the following about the
>new Macs:

>	Mac Classic: 68000
>		     1 meg., 1 floppy    $999
>		     2 meg., floppy
>		     and hard disk      $1499     available October 15

>	Mac LC:      68020
>		     2 meg., floppy,
>		     hard disk + color monitor    $3098   available Oct. 15

>	Mac IIsi:    68030
>		     2 meg., floppy,
>		     80 meg. hard disk    $3769   available January 1991

As of about 2 hours ago I just had a chance to see all of the above machines
and they certainly do fill out the bottom end of Apple's range just nicely :-)

The pick of the bunch as far as I can see is the LC. At long last an
affordable colour machine at a really good entry price (yes, even for Aussie
dollars !!) in a stylish (sexy ??) new box.

				ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

cummings@milton.u.washington.edu (Michael Cummings) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.172241.20286@sics.se> ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:
>>>	Mac IIsi:    68030
>
>What's the speed?

I read in a local magazine that the IIsi will run at 20MHz.

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (10/12/90)

ollef@sics.se (Olle Furberg) writes:

>In <ianh.655587033@morgana> ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:

>>hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:

>>>	Mac IIsi:    68030

>What's the speed?

20Mhz but with some of the things that have to be done to accomodate the
on-board video it runs at about the speed of a IIcx.

		ian

BTW the electret microphone input is real cute ..... I saw an alert sound
being created very easily with good fidelity compared to the original spoken
input.
within seconds -
--

bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes) (10/19/90)

> 		ian
>
> BTW the electret microphone input is real cute ..... I saw an alert sound
> being created very easily with good fidelity compared to the original spoken
> input.
> within seconds -
> --
>                 Ian Hoyle
>      /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group
>     / / /\      BHP Melbourne Research Laboratories
>    / / /  \     245 Wellington Rd, Mulgrave, 3170
>   / / / /\ \    AUSTRALIA
>   \ \/ / / /
>    \  / / /     Phone   :  +61-3-560-7066
>     \/\/\/      FAX     :  +61-3-561-6709
>                 E-mail  :  ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au

Yeah.  I gave the sales people a demo :-) Guy says "I saw the other
sales guy do it this morning".  10 minutes of fiddling, loading
Hypercard, accidental reboot, (me saying in the background "Excuse me,
why don't you try the Control Panel"), more messing, (me saying "Under
the Apple menu" "How do you spell Apple?").  Thank God he finally went
away.  30 seconds later I was getting excellent quality sound playback
from the Sound CDEV.  Sounded like CD quality.  Up to 10 seconds
recording on the si I used.  Is this a memory-size based or a hard
limit??

I showed the guy how to demo it.

Scott Bayes

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/22/90)

From article <13740002@hpislx.HP.COM>, by bayes@hpislx.HP.COM (Scott Bayes):
> Yeah.  I gave the sales people a demo :-) Guy says "I saw the other
> sales guy do it this morning".  10 minutes of fiddling, loading
> Hypercard, accidental reboot, (me saying in the background "Excuse me,
> why don't you try the Control Panel"), more messing, (me saying "Under
> the Apple menu" "How do you spell Apple?")...

The staff at the micro information center here made the alert sound
say "you should have bought an IBM."  Smart alecks.

But it was fun watching unsuspecting people come in and try the
machine out. :-)
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"