[comp.sys.mac.misc] LC Availability

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (10/20/90)

In article <draphsor.656222606@elaine0.stanford.edu> draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) writes:

>Macintosh LC Systems
>
>HD 40/2MB CPU		$1600 - listed 'approximate price'; available to
>				order 11-15-90

I just spoke with the person who manages the Mac sales at our college
store.  She says that Apple has informed her the LC will not be
available until MARCH 1991!  Now, admittedly, they do not inventory any
Macs - they order them as needed.  Perhaps other stores already have
orders in the pipeline and will take delivery sooner....

draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) (10/20/90)

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:

>In article <draphsor.656222606@elaine0.stanford.edu> draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) writes:

>>Macintosh LC Systems
>>
>>HD 40/2MB CPU		$1600 - listed 'approximate price'; available to
>>				order 11-15-90

>I just spoke with the person who manages the Mac sales at our college
>store.  She says that Apple has informed her the LC will not be
>available until MARCH 1991!  Now, admittedly, they do not inventory any
>Macs - they order them as needed.  Perhaps other stores already have
>orders in the pipeline and will take delivery sooner....

Note that that's available *to order*.  As in, they're not even taking
orders for the system yet.  The latest I've heard from Apple is that the
LC will begin to be available in quantity late January of 1991.  I saw a
presentation today where they said that they had not planned to announce
the LC on October 15'th - they were going to wait until January.
However, there had been so many leaks that they felt people would just
be confused if there wasn't a low cost color system announced at the
same time.

Oh, yeah.  They also told us that the 'si' of IIsi stood for "simply
irresistable".  I didn't really need to know that...  <mass groans from
the audience...>  :)

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (10/20/90)

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) writes:

>In article <draphsor.656222606@elaine0.stanford.edu> draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) writes:

>>Macintosh LC Systems
>>
>>HD 40/2MB CPU		$1600 - listed 'approximate price'; available to
>>				order 11-15-90

>I just spoke with the person who manages the Mac sales at our college
>store.  She says that Apple has informed her the LC will not be
>available until MARCH 1991!  Now, admittedly, they do not inventory any
>Macs - they order them as needed.  Perhaps other stores already have
>orders in the pipeline and will take delivery sooner....

  At the presentation given by Apple reps today, they said that although we
would be able to order LCs after 11/15/90, they didn't expect delivery until
late January/early February.

  They also said the current price for the LC would be $1,517, but they were
hoping to push that down another $50-$100 (possible before the start of
order-taking)

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
"To tell the truth, I'm absolutely buggered" - Peter Jones

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/22/90)

From article <1990Oct19.230402.24475@oswego.Oswego.EDU>, by ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff):
> I just spoke with the person who manages the Mac sales at our college
> store.  She says that Apple has informed her the LC will not be
> available until MARCH 1991!  Now, admittedly, they do not inventory any
> Macs - they order them as needed.  Perhaps other stores already have
> orders in the pipeline and will take delivery sooner....

I hear Feb '91 at the earliest from the UW-Madison micro outlet.

2 si's came in last Friday, and the word from Apple on those was 1-4 weeks
after the announcement.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

jwmills@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Jonathan Mills) (10/23/90)

Matt Rollefson writes:

>Oh, yeah.  They also told us that the 'si' of IIsi stood for "simply
>irresistable".  I didn't really need to know that...  <mass groans from
>the audience...>  :)

Given the problems with the IIci, I would not be at all surprised to
find that "si" stands for "still incompatible"...