[comp.sys.mac.misc] Prospects for external Mac Classic Monitors?

mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu (Don McGregor) (10/21/90)

So we lost a slot going from the SE to the Classic.  Probably one of the
more popular add-ons for the SE's were external big screen monitors.
I seem to recall that some people hacked together external monitors for
the 512's and pluses way back when, despite the lack of slots; E-Machines
was one of them, no?

Is anyone planning to do the same thing for the Classic?

And what's that cutout on the back of the Classic case, right above the
power switch?

Don McGregor
mcgredo@prism.cs.orst.edu

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/23/90)

In article <21183@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> mcgredo@prism.CS.ORST.EDU (Don McGregor) writes:
>So we lost a slot going from the SE to the Classic.  Probably one of the
>more popular add-ons for the SE's were external big screen monitors.
>I seem to recall that some people hacked together external monitors for
>the 512's and pluses way back when, despite the lack of slots; E-Machines
>was one of them, no?
>
>Is anyone planning to do the same thing for the Classic?

	You'll find that some of these monitors depended upon a piggy-back board
that either sits on top or is soldered directly onto the 68000 cpu.  I have
no reason to doubt these systems won't be able to be carried over to the
Classic in similar fashion.

>And what's that cutout on the back of the Classic case, right above the
>power switch?

	Well Don, that's where the adjustments of the monitor lives.  They used
to live on the old power supply board which meant you had to open the case first
to access them.  Nice change form Apple.

**My employers don't understand me, so I guess I'm on my own when I speak out**
Norton Chia		|	I *think* my address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU