[comp.sys.mac.misc] SE/30 after New Macs

jcb@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Jonathan Broadbent) (10/17/90)

	I read in some business magazine that Apple had said that it
would drop the SE/30 soon, as the new mac II si effectively replaces it.
What do you lot out there think of this? Is it true? Should it be true?

My personal feelings are that the SE/30 is a great machine: small yet
powerful. I don't want a big imposing box on my desk. And I want to be
able to take my Mac with me if I have to move.
Maybe Apple should just redesign the case in line with the Mac Classic,
rename it the Mac Classic 030 or Classic X, put a microphone on it, and
32 bit clean roms, but surely not discard it alltogether.
What about us users, who bought one just recently (it was released only
about a year and a half ago, wasn't it?). I wouldn't want to own a
discontinued machine. Let us have the clean roms as an upgrade, and use
MacRecorder.

Jonathan Broadbent
Centre for Cognitive Science, Edinburgh,Scotland

freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) (10/21/90)

jcb@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Jonathan Broadbent) writes:

>	I read in some business magazine that Apple had said that it
>would drop the SE/30 soon, as the new mac II si effectively replaces it.
>What do you lot out there think of this? Is it true? Should it be true?

>My personal feelings are that the SE/30 is a great machine: small yet
>powerful. I don't want a big imposing box on my desk. And I want to be
>able to take my Mac with me if I have to move.

I would hate it if Apple should drop the SE/30 "because you can now buy
a Mac si".  The SE/30 is a computer in one piece!  I DON'T want a
seperate monitor (& a Mac should look like a Mac not like a PC).  Do
you understand, Apple?

Freek "the Pistol Major" Wiedijk                      E-mail: freek@fwi.uva.nl
#P:+/ = #+/P?*+/ = i<<*+/P?*+/ = +/i<<**P?*+/ = +/(i<<*P?)*+/ = +/+/(i<<*P?)**

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (10/21/90)

In article <2167@scott.ed.ac.uk> jcb@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Jonathan Broadbent) writes:

>	I read in some business magazine that Apple had said that it
>would drop the SE/30 soon, as the new mac II si effectively replaces it.
>What do you lot out there think of this? Is it true? Should it be true?

An article in the latest MacWEEK says that Apple is counting on the SE/30
and LC to absorb some of the demand that previously went to the SE.  It also
says that because of the high demand for the SE/30, Apple has postponed a
planned price cut on it.  Doesn't sound to me like they're going to axe the
SE/30 anytime soon.

Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/23/90)

In article <1386@carol.fwi.uva.nl> freek@fwi.uva.nl (Freek Wiedijk) writes:
>jcb@cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Jonathan Broadbent) writes:
>>	I read in some business magazine that Apple had said that it
>>would drop the SE/30 soon, as the new mac II si effectively replaces it.
>>What do you lot out there think of this? Is it true? Should it be true?
>
>>My personal feelings are that the SE/30 is a great machine: small yet
>>powerful. I don't want a big imposing box on my desk. And I want to be
>>able to take my Mac with me if I have to move.
>
>I would hate it if Apple should drop the SE/30 "because you can now buy
>a Mac si".  The SE/30 is a computer in one piece!  I DON'T want a
>seperate monitor (& a Mac should look like a Mac not like a PC).  Do
>you understand, Apple?

You'll probably find there will always be a "Classic" mac.  Expect a new,
more powerful version of the SE/30 soon.  Just speculating, but chances are
my SE/30 will become a future "Classic" :)

**My employers don't understand me, so I guess I'm on my own when I speak out**
Norton Chia		|	I *think* my address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU