[comp.sys.mac.misc] Self configurable power supply in new Mac Classic ?

roh@gmdzi.gmd.de (Peter Rohleder ) (10/18/90)

In the announcement of the new Mac Classic in comp.sys.mac.announce
you can read following hardware specification:

- Line voltage: 120 or 240 volts AC, RMS automatically configured

In the information of the latest TidBits you can read:

 Runs about 10% faster than the SE; unlike the SE and the SE/30,
 it doesn't have a universal power supply;

Which information is right and which information is wrong ?

Peter Rohleder

  Peter Rohleder, roh@gmdzi.UUCP, (+49 2241) 14-2208
  German National Research Center for Computer Science (GMD)
  Schloss Birlinghoven, P.O.Box 1240, D-5205 St. Augustin 1, FRGermany

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (10/19/90)

roh@gmdzi.gmd.de (Peter Rohleder ) writes:

>In the announcement of the new Mac Classic in comp.sys.mac.announce
>you can read following hardware specification:

>- Line voltage: 120 or 240 volts AC, RMS automatically configured

>In the information of the latest TidBits you can read:

> Runs about 10% faster than the SE; unlike the SE and the SE/30,
> it doesn't have a universal power supply;

>Which information is right and which information is wrong ?

Well, I went over to another department and looked at the new
machines.  The Macintosh Classic has a single voltage power supply
(rumor has it, to keep down costs.) This means that Apple sells a 110V
machine in some countries and a 220V machine in others.

Both the LC and the IIsi have self configuring 100-240 V supplies.  I'm
told that the 12" monochrome monitor is self configuring 100-240 V, but
the 12" color monitor comes in two flavors; a 110V only version for USA
sales, and a self-configuring version for overseas.

As always, this is subject to change without notice.

--Brian Bechtel		blob@apple.com		"My opinion, not Apple's"

John.Aspden@uk.ac.newcastle (John Aspden) (10/19/90)

In article <3484@gmdzi.gmd.de> roh@gmdzi.gmd.de (Peter Rohleder ) writes:
> In the announcement of the new Mac Classic in comp.sys.mac.announce
> you can read following hardware specification:
>
> - Line voltage: 120 or 240 volts AC, RMS automatically configured
>
> In the information of the latest TidBits you can read:
>
>  Runs about 10% faster than the SE; unlike the SE and the SE/30,
>  it doesn't have a universal power supply;
>
> Which information is right and which information is wrong ?

From the spec sheets for the UK versions of the new Macs, the implication
is that the Classic and the si don't have the universal supply, whereas
the LC does.

What would be the reason for this? A definite retrograde step if it is
true.
John Aspden, Computing Laboratory, University of Newcastle on Tyne, UK
email: john.aspden@newcastle.ac.uk  phone: +44 91 222 8069 fax: ...8232

abennett@athena.mit.edu (Andrew Bennett) (10/24/90)

It's a step backwards, all right.  I called Apple to confirm; only the LC has a
self-configurable power supply.  Knowing Apple, if you want to take an si or
classic out of the US, you'll probably have to pay big $$ to get a universal
supply installed - once you get to your destination (that's what happened with
our scanner).

Ironic, isn't it?  The 'low end' machine - compact,  color, a IIe emulation mode,
a potential LCS screen from Dynamac (making it pseudo-portable), a universal
power supply, etc.  Soulds like the machine everyone wanted in the first place...

-Drew

Andrew Bennett          abennett@mit.edu
MIT Room 11-124H        abennett%athena@mitvma.bitnet
77 Massachusetts Ave.   Phone: (617) 253-7174
Cambridge, MA  02139    ** All disclaimers apply **