[comp.sys.mac.misc] Any GOOD reasons to buy Classic vs.

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/21/90)

/* Written  4:05 am  Oct 20, 1990 by wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.misc */

>Mac Plus                  Mac Classic
>
>Brain Dead SCSI port      Normal SCSI port, much faster.
>128 K ROMS                512 K ROMS

What's in the 512K ROMS of the Classic?  Is it really true that Apple
rewrote quickdraw to work with 68000-class monochrome machines?  If
that's true, then would it be possible (in theory) to modify the
Classic to display 8 shades of grey on the screen?

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (10/23/90)

In article <70400086@m.cs.uiuc.edu>, gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

> /* Written  4:05 am  Oct 20, 1990 by wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu in m.cs.uiuc.

scott@scotty (Scott Howard) (10/23/90)

I don't really know what is in the 512K ROMS- I imagine the
new TEdit, 32-bit QD, and other stuff added since the IIci
forward would be in it. At any rate, you'd have better forward
compatibility with new applications and since you can sell
 a Plus for at least $200 and scarf a Classic for $700...
(babble, babble...)

francis@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (RD Francis) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct23.163107.9221@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> scott@scotty (Scott Howard) writes:
>I don't really know what is in the 512K ROMS...

Well, according to Mac the Knife (MacWEEK's normally reasonably
accurate rumor column), Outbound has dug around in the Classic's ROM,
and has found a 358K "ROM Disk".  Speculation has it that the
existance of this ROM Disk is tied with the release of AppleShare 3.0
around Spring of 91, and that the ROM disk will allow Classics (and
anything else that has the ROM disk in it, MtK lumps LCs into this
category) boot directly from an AppleShare server (i.e., no need for a
floppy disk to boot).  I know *MY* department's been asking Apple for
this for years....
--
R David Francis   francis@cis.ohio-state.edu