[comp.sys.mac.misc] Difference in NuBus and Direct Slot cards??

halam1@ub.d.umn.edu (Haseen I. Alam) (10/23/90)

 Hi there,

 I was looking at the spec sheets for a Mac IIsi, and saw that you can buy
 EITHER an "030 Direct Slot Adapter Card" OR a "NuBus Adapter Card" for the
 IIsi.  Both of these adapters come with a 68882 FPU.  Now the specs for
 these adapter cards say that they can both accommodate either a video, a
 communication or a DSP card.  But the 030 PDS adapter "Lets you add any
 expansion card that is compatible with those used in the Macintosh SE/30."

 I would be greatful if someone could point out some differences and
 advantages/disadvantages between a NuBus and a PDS card.  Are both kinds
 available in the market?  What about price?  What would make someone
 choose one over the other?

 Any helpful gesture will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

 Haseen.
--
 .--------------------------------------------------------------------.
 |  Haseen Ibne Alam               |  email : halam1@ub.d.umn.edu     |

geff@iastate.edu (Underwood Geoffrey Dale) (10/24/90)

In article <329@ub.d.umn.edu> halam1@ub.d.umn.edu (Haseen I. Alam) writes:

> I would be greatful if someone could point out some differences and
> advantages/disadvantages between a NuBus and a PDS card.  Are both kinds
> available in the market?  What about price?  What would make someone
> choose one over the other?
>
> Any helpful gesture will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Haseen.

	The summary basically says it all.  People have been making NuBus
boards for a relatively long time, and there are more Macs with NuBus slots;
these facts make NuBus boards cheaper.  The fact that the PDS is basically
a direct connection to the CPU makes PDS boards faster.

		Geff Underwood
		geff@iastate.edu