[comp.sys.mac.misc] IIsi versus IIci

schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu (Michael Schoen) (10/18/90)

I am trying to decide between the IIsi and IIci for my new Mac.  Here are
what I see as the pros and cons"

IIsi)	Built-in sound input
	 Seems to have been tested well for compatability

	But...only one slot, slightly slower, no FPU

IIci)	Fast
	Expandable
	FPU

	But...no sound input, and compatability problems (or have those been
	fixed up)???

If anyone has any advice, please send me email as soon as possible.  THanks.

schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/19/90)

In article <4456@husc6.harvard.edu> schoen2@husc9.UUCP (Michael Schoen) writes:
>IIci)	Fast
>	Expandable
>	FPU
>
>	But...no sound input, and compatability problems (or have those been
>	fixed up)???

I am under the impression that, using System 6.0.7 and the latest drivers from
Farallon, I can use my MacRecorder with my SE/30 in the same way as one can
use the bundled mic with the IIsi.  Am I deluded?

chaz

--
Jury Acquit Notorious Axe Murderer From Outer Space.
clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) (10/20/90)

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:

>In article <4456@husc6.harvard.edu> schoen2@husc9.UUCP (Michael Schoen) writes:
>>IIci)	Fast
>>	Expandable
>>	FPU
>>
>>	But...no sound input, and compatability problems (or have those been
>>	fixed up)???

>I am under the impression that, using System 6.0.7 and the latest drivers from
>Farallon, I can use my MacRecorder with my SE/30 in the same way as one can
>use the bundled mic with the IIsi.  Am I deluded?

I just saw a presentation by Apple about the new machines where the same
question came up.  The official word was that all of the machines will
be able to use the Sound routines - sound will be treated the same way
across the Macintosh line.  The only difference is that the "old"
machines do not have built-in hardware to handle the sound input.  This
hardware is available for as little as $50 from some third-party
sources.

Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) (10/20/90)

schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu (Michael Schoen) writes:
>I am trying to decide between the IIsi and IIci for my new Mac.  Here are
>what I see as the pros and cons"
>

>IIsi)	Built-in sound input
>	 Seems to have been tested well for compatability
>
>	But...only one slot, slightly slower, no FPU
>
>IIci)	Fast
>	Expandable
>	FPU
>
>	But...no sound input, and compatability problems (or have those been
>	fixed up)???
>

>If anyone has any advice, please send me email as soon as possible.  THanks.
>

>schoen2@husc9.harvard.edu

Also some more pros and cons:

Mac IIsi: Can accept only Quarter Height hard disks (pricey right now)
          Only four SIMM slots, allowing 5 megs max until System 7.0

Grant Erickson

.______________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {crash, tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!granteri           |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil           |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org                     |
|------------------------------------------------------|
| The right half of the brain controls the left half   |
| of the body. This means that only left-handed people |
| are in their right mind.                             |
!______________________________________________________!

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/21/90)

In article <3352@orbit.cts.com> granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) writes:
>Mac IIsi: Can accept only Quarter Height hard disks (pricey right now)
>          Only four SIMM slots, allowing 5 megs max until System 7.0

[just nit-picking, but...]

Couldn't one put 4meg SIMMs into those slots and run with 8 megs under
System 6.0.7?  You'd actually have 17meg, but the OS would only see 8 of
them.

chaz

--
Belgian AI Experts resurrect Elvis.
 -- National Enquirer Photo Exclusive.

granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) (10/24/90)

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>In article <4456@husc6.harvard.edu> schoen2@husc9.UUCP (Michael Schoen) writes:
>>IIci)	Fast
>>	Expandable
>>	FPU
>>
>>	But...no sound input, and compatability problems (or have those been
>>	fixed up)???
>
>I am under the impression that, using System 6.0.7 and the latest drivers from
>Farallon, I can use my MacRecorder with my SE/30 in the same way as one can
>use the bundled mic with the IIsi.  Am I deluded?
>
>chaz
>

>--
>Jury Acquit Notorious Axe Murderer From Outer Space.
>clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu                                       AOL:Crowbone

No, you are not deluded...

The drivers you speak of were released on the 15th as well I believe*.
Grant Erickson