[comp.sys.mac.misc] Help on AppleShare Installation

wpedigo@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Walter R. Pedigo) (10/22/90)

The multiple posting is because I haven't heard back from my original plea
for >>>HELP<<<, course the fact that our news feed is updownupdownupdown...
might account rather than my posting to the wrong group.

Here's the problem:
	For a small network the server is to be a Plus with a Quantum 105MB
(all equipment is new) The 105 has seven folders that came from LaCie.

	Now the fun begins... Booting the plus from the SERVER INSTALLER
disk (manual pg 33) everything is fine and continues to be up till we (yes
several of us tried to do this) shut down from the installation of the
SERVER ADMINISTRATION disk.  On restart, ta da, ID=12 (dsCoreErr=
unimplemented core routine error) and the system is TRASHED.  After the
fifth time we gave up.

	I contacted the dealer, who had never heard of such a thing, who
then called his Apple Rep.  Who presented the following solutions:

	1) Boot from the SERVER INSTALLER disk - Did that.

	2) Install using installer - Did that.

	3) Completely blank the hard drive - didn't do this as the manual
		refers to the "ADMINISTRATOR" becoming the owner of...any
		folders that were already on the hard disks...

	4) Lock the Hard Drive - ???? I don't know about anyone else but...
		I've NEVER been able to write to a locked disk.

and when asked for the Rep.s name & number, I was told that he wouldn't
return calls to just anyone... after $30K i don't think I'm just anyone!

I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any help as I need to get this up and running!!

barrey@ka.excelan.com (Barrey Jewall) (10/23/90)

In article <4401@pikes.Colorado.EDU> wpedigo@pikes.Colorado.EDU \
(Walter R. Pedigo) writes:

>Here's the problem:
>	For a small network the server is to be a Plus with a Quantum 105MB
>(all equipment is new) The 105 has seven folders that came from LaCie.

First off, boot up from a 6.0.5 system tools disk, if you don't have one,
get one! -

I personally would archive everything off of the disk, and reformat it with
whatever utilities were supplied with it, this assures you of having the
proper interleave factor for the drive (with most drives, it is 3 for a Plus)

After booting from your sys tools disk, run the Installer.

Click ok to the startup message from installer, then click "Customize" to get
a selection box showing your choices. Choose "System Software for all mac..."
option, and click "install"

swap disk around for a while, then quit and restart using the 5th disk of the
system tools set, it's called the "Network Products Installer", run installer
like before, click on the item called "AppleShare File Server (v2.0.1)" and
click install. It will ask you for your original (well, a good copy of it)
AppleShare Server installer disk, and proceed to do the install from there.

After you finish with that, be sure to NOT RESTART THE SERVER until you
copy the AppleShare Administrator into the system folder of the hard drive.

By the way, your mac is limited to about 80 open files for every megabyte
of memory, even under AppleShare, unless they fixed this by now.

>	I contacted the dealer, who had never heard of such a thing, who
>then called his Apple Rep.  Who presented the following solutions:

Dealers and even the Apple Reps (who aren't supposed to be Tech Gurus, but
he should have access to 'em!- beat your dealer up for your next purchase!)
aren't always the most knowledgeable people about stuff like this...

I admin both of our AppleShare Servers here, and it is pretty much a cruise
by now....

>	1) Boot from the SERVER INSTALLER disk - Did that.

>	2) install using Installer

this used to be ok, but the new system software (above 6.0.4 or so) required use of the disk mentioned above.

>	3) Completely blank the hard drive - didn't do this as the manual
>		refers to the "ADMINISTRATOR" becoming the owner of...any
>		folders that were already on the hard disks...

Like I said, I would do a complete format to screen any errors, and set the
interleave properly, but maybe I'm weird!

>	4) Lock the Hard Drive - ???? I don't know about anyone else but...
>		I've NEVER been able to write to a locked disk.

Where did your dealer call asking for his Apple rep?? A fruit stand?!?!?

>and when asked for the Rep.s name & number, I was told that he wouldn't
>return calls to just anyone... after $30K i don't think I'm just anyone!

A couple of things may be in order- If your dealer doesn't consider you
important enough to support (whether you bought $30.00 or 30K shouldn't matter,
your dealer has an agreement with Apple to support all Apple customers!)

Apple's main number is (408) 996-1010 - Ask for customer relations, and be
perpared for a surprise!- the people who answer the phone actually have a clue, and are willing to follow up on complaints made about dealers!

>I would GREATLY APPRECIATE any help as I need to get this up and running!!

Please let me know about any success or failures via email.

Thanks, and Good Luck!

Barrey

--
+ Barrey Jewall                 ++ "My opinions are my opinions" +
+ barrey@novell.com	        ++ (rather self-evident, eh?)    +

alexis@panix.uucp (Alexis Rosen) (10/24/90)

This is a long shot, but I'd suggest trying to install AppleShare by hand.
Look at the installer script with a recent ResEdit- it's not too difficult
to figure out. I remeber hearing that some AppleShares were sent out that
wouldn't install properly, so this may be your problem.

BTW, using a MacPlus as a server is a singularly poor choice. If you have the
option, even an SE (or Classic) will perform much better.

---
Alexis Rosen
Owner/Sysadmin, PANIX Public Access Unix
{cmcl2,apple}!panix!alexis

klf1305@che_sun1.tamu.edu (Kelly L. Fergason) (10/25/90)

In article <4401@pikes.Colorado.EDU> wpedigo@pikes.Colorado.EDU (Walter R. Pedigo) writes:
>Here's the problem:
>	For a small network the server is to be a Plus with a Quantum 105MB
>(all equipment is new) The 105 has seven folders that came from LaCie.
>
>	Now the fun begins... Booting the plus from the SERVER INSTALLER
>disk (manual pg 33) everything is fine and continues to be up till we (yes
>several of us tried to do this) shut down from the installation of the
>SERVER ADMINISTRATION disk.  On restart, ta da, ID=12 (dsCoreErr=
>unimplemented core routine error) and the system is TRASHED.  After the
>fifth time we gave up.

	I just had this same problem (id=12).  Get a new Appleshare
Administration disk.  The admin program is corrupt.  I replaced this
and had no problems.

	Kelly Fergason
	klf1305@venus.tamu.edu