[comp.sys.mac.misc] Consortium pricing on new macs

ogil@quads.uchicago.edu (Brian W. Ogilvie) (10/07/90)

Greetings, net!
Here at the University of Chicago, the computer store has decided to price
the Mac Classic 2/40 for $1350, which is only 10% off the list price which
various rumors have given. I am wondering if other consortium schools are
pricing the machines at similar levels, or whether the U of C has once again
decided to gouge its students and staff.

Please e-mail responses; I will post a summary after I receive a reasonable
number of responses. Thanks very much!

--
Brian W. Ogilvie           "Find a need and fool it!"
ogil@midway.uchicago.edu              --Zippy the Pinhead

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/10/90)

Brian W. Ogilvie writes in a message on 06 Oct 90:

BWO>  Here at the University of Chicago, the computer store has decided
BWO>  to price the Mac Classic 2/40 for $1350, which is only 10% off
BWO>  the list price which various rumors have given. I am wondering
BWO>  if other consortium schools are pricing the machines at similar
BWO>  levels, or whether the U of C has once again decided to gouge
BWO>  its students and staff. ...

Latest MacWEEK reports that list price on that machine will be $1499, and that
dealers will buy it from 20-28% off list.  In the same article, dealers are
quoted as saying something like "if people think we're gonna discount THIS one
very much, they're nuts.  We got no room.  We gotta make *some* margin."

So perhaps the $1350 isn't such a rip.  'Course, you should wait to see what
your neighborhood dealer is going to charge.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

a1104@mindlink.UUCP (Linda Richards) (10/10/90)

They don't need THAT much margin on the prices of the machine itself. Witness
the current blow-out of Mac+'s for around $650. There is virtually no margin
there. The profit comes in the sale of all the neato software and periphereals
you need to make the beast happen. How many people just go out and buy a Mac?

ogil@quads.uchicago.edu (Brian W. Ogilvie) (10/12/90)

In article <79186.27140AA8@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG> Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:

>Brian W. Ogilvie writes in a message on 06 Oct 90:

 [Stuff I wrote about U of Chicago pricing on Mac Classic deleted]

>Latest MacWEEK reports that list price on that machine will be $1499, and that
>dealers will buy it from 20-28% off list.  In the same article, dealers are
>quoted as saying something like "if people think we're gonna discount THIS one
>very much, they're nuts.  We got no room.  We gotta make *some* margin."
>
>So perhaps the $1350 isn't such a rip.  'Course, you should wait to see what
>your neighborhood dealer is going to charge.

But consortium schools have traditionally gotten better discounts than
dealers, and (being in theory not-for-profit) have passed on that savings
to their students, faculty and staff. $1350 is only 10% off list; previous
machines have been discounted more on the order of 30%. Moreover, prices
at the U of C have usually been a few percent higher than those at other
consortium schools with which I am familiar. Hence my interest in comparing
_consortium_ pricing on the Classic. Even the U of C has better prices than
any dealer in town on the current Macs, and I can imagine aggressive dealers
pricing the Classic 2/40 at under $1350.
--
Brian W. Ogilvie           "Find a need and fool it!"
ogil@midway.uchicago.edu              --Zippy the Pinhead

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/12/90)

I've heard local dealers say, "Your consortium prices are as low as a
local dealer's wholesale price".  In that case, 20-28% off the $$1499
price equals $1079-$1199.  Keep your fingers crossed!

gwangung@milton.u.washington.edu (Roger Tang) (10/12/90)

In article <3486@mindlink.UUCP> a1104@mindlink.UUCP (Linda Richards) writes:
>They don't need THAT much margin on the prices of the machine itself. Witness
>the current blow-out of Mac+'s for around $650. There is virtually no margin
>there. The profit comes in the sale of all the neato software and periphereals
>you need to make the beast happen. How many people just go out and buy a Mac?

	Ahhh......you're forgetting that the blowouts are just that; they're
getting rid of the line.

	And most people getting modular Macs simply do that; they go out and
buy a mac without software (which Apple doesn't get a part of, remember?).

	And the margin applies both to the hardware AND the software.....

In article <70400069@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

>I've heard local dealers say, "Your consortium prices are as low as a
>local dealer's wholesale price".  In that case, 20-28% off the $$1499
>price equals $1079-$1199.  Keep your fingers crossed!

	Latest rumor I've heard is that consortium pricing will be gone around
the first of the year......Any confirmation or denials?

drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu (David Gutierrez) (10/12/90)

In article <70400069@m.cs.uiuc.edu> gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu writes:

 >I've heard local dealers say, "Your consortium prices are as low as a
 >local dealer's wholesale price".  In that case, 20-28% off the $$1499
 >price equals $1079-$1199.  Keep your fingers crossed!

I've seen the list of prices that Apple charges universities. Universities
are paying about $1150 for this machine.

In article <9089@milton.u.washington.edu> gwangung@milton.u.washington.edu
(Roger Tang) writes:
>         Latest rumor I've heard is that consortium pricing will be gone
around
> the first of the year......Any confirmation or denials?

That list also makes a point of saying that the prices are good only until
January 5. Previous price lists have not had any kind of expiration date.
Make of that what you will.

David Gutierrez
drg@mdaali.cancer.utexas.edu

"Only fools are positive." - Moe Howard

starta@tosh.UUCP (John Starta) (10/13/90)

gwangung@milton.u.washington.edu (Roger Tang) writes:

> 	Latest rumor I've heard is that consortium pricing will be gone around
> the first of the year......Any confirmation or denials?

This is nothing more than a rumor in my opinion. I can't imagine Apple
discontinuing consortium pricing; especially with their new stance of
taking lower profit margins to gain market share.

John

hadjiyia@cat3.cs.wisc.edu (Simos Hadjiyiannis) (10/16/90)

>Brian W. Ogilvie writes in a message on 06 Oct 90:
>
>BWO>  Here at the University of Chicago, the computer store has decided
>BWO>  to price the Mac Classic 2/40 for $1350, which is only 10% off
>BWO>  the list price which various rumors have given. I am wondering
>BWO>  if other consortium schools are pricing the machines at similar
>BWO>  levels, or whether the U of C has once again decided to gouge

 Just in case anyone's interested, here at the UW the price tag for the
Mac Classic 40/2 is $1,161 (provided you buy it through the university
of course...).
 It seems as though the U of C indeed HAS decided to "gouge" its students
and staff. It might be cheaper to tranfer to UW Madison for a semester just
so you can buy the machine...

Simos Hadjiyiannis
hadjiyia@garfield.cs.wisc.edu

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Fred Zeats IV) (10/16/90)

In article <79186.27140AA8@cmhgate.FIDONET.ORG] Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) writes:
]
]Brian W. Ogilvie writes in a message on 06 Oct 90:
]BWO]  Here at the University of Chicago, the computer store has decided
]BWO]  to price the Mac Classic 2/40 for $1350, which is only 10% off
]BWO]  the list price which various rumors have given. I am wondering
]BWO]  if other consortium schools are pricing the machines at similar
]BWO]  levels, or whether the U of C has once again decided to gouge
]BWO]  its students and staff. ...

Gouge Gouge Gouge..

]Latest MacWEEK reports that list price on that machine will be $1499, and that
]dealers will buy it from 20-28% off list.  In the same article, dealers are
]quoted as saying something like "if people think we're gonna discount THIS one
]very much, they're nuts.  We got no room.  We gotta make *some* margin."
]
]So perhaps the $1350 isn't such a rip.  'Course, you should wait to see what
]your neighborhood dealer is going to charge.

The educators/Non-Profit/School/Student cost for the new Mac Classic is
just over $1000 with the 40 Meg HD and the 2 Megs of RAM.

The price for the Mac IIsi with an 80Meg HD and 5 Meg of RAM is $3000 and
some change..

How do I know?  Apple said so...

| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying, and|
|---------------------|dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.        |
|       If you don't get kissed good-night you get Kafka Dreams               |

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.061616.1300@isis.cs.du.edu> kreme@isis.UUCP (Fred Zeats IV) writes:
>The price for the Mac IIsi with an 80Meg HD and 5 Meg of RAM is $3000 and
>some change..

  At University of California, Riverside, it's around $2600.  Remember,
consortium pricing varies a great deal, depending on the size of the school
and the whims of the department which handles the purchase.

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) (10/17/90)

At Cornell, Mac Classic 1meg, no hard drive: 815
                        2meg, 40m hd       :1224

In NYC, in an advertisement in today's NYT, the Mac Classic is
going for $750.  I think the IIsi was $2300, but I'm not sure.

Some educator's discount.

-Peter
Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008
Home: 116 Oak Ave, Ithaca, NY 14850  Phone: 607-277-6678

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/17/90)

From article <47152@cornell.UUCP>, by wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner):
> At Cornell, Mac Classic 1meg, no hard drive: 815
>                         2meg, 40m hd       :1224

UWisc - Madison prices are:

Mac Classic 1/SuperDrive	756
Mac Classic 2/40		1132

Mac IIsi 2/40			2321
Mac IIsi 5/80			2813

--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

vnend@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (D. W. James) (10/17/90)

In article <47152@cornell.UUCP> wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
)At Cornell, Mac Classic 1meg, no hard drive: 815
)                        2meg, 40m hd       :1224

At Princeton:	Mac Classic 1 meg, no hd:	 	 779.90
			  2meg, 40hd:			1170.40

		Mac IIsi 2MB/40Mhd, no keyboard:	2404.60
			 5MB/80Mhd, no keyboard:	2915.00

		12" RGB Color Monitor:			 394.90

)In NYC, in an advertisement in today's NYT, the Mac Classic is
)going for $750.  I think the IIsi was $2300, but I'm not sure.

	Wouldn't surprise me.  I know Princeton tacks on 10% to cover the
expenses of the store.

--
Later Y'all,  Vnend                       Ignorance is the mother of adventure.
      Mail?  Send to:vnend@phoenix.princeton.edu or vnend@pucc.bitnet

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (10/17/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.misc: 16-Oct-90 Re: Consortium
> pricing on n.. Brain in Neutral@primate (416)

> UWisc - Madison prices are:

> Mac Classic 1/SuperDrive	756
> Mac Classic 2/40		1132

> Mac IIsi 2/40			2321
> Mac IIsi 5/80			2813

Getting on the bandwagon...

CMU Mac Prices:
Classic 1/SuperDrive	750
Classic 2/40		1120
IIsi 2/40			2300
IIsi 5/80			2790

Just for the sake of comparison...
| Vincent Del Vecchio     \       #include <stddisclaimer.h>        |
| Box 4834                 \       #include <stdquote.h>            |
| 5125 Margaret Morrison St.\  BITNET: vd09+%andrew@cmuccvma.bitnet |
| Pittsburgh, PA  15213      \  UUCP: harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!vd09   |
| (412) 268-4441              \  Internet: vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu     |

jhex_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Jeff "Ashton" Hexter) (10/17/90)

Just for some more comparison, here at the U of R:

Mac Classic (1MB)	$ 799.00
Mac Classic (2MB/40HD)	$1198.00

Mac IIsi (2MB/40HD)	$2449.00
Mac IIsi (5MB/80HD)	$2969.00

and that new 12" RGB (the one that looks remarkable like a reworked Apple
//gs color monitor - yeah, you know the one :) costs $405.00

gillies@m.cs.uiuc.edu (10/17/90)

I've heard these "Mac Classic" prices include a keyboard.
How do these prices compare with a Mac Plus?
How much has the (total) entry-level price actually gone down?

How does a "Mac Classic" differ from an SE with cement in the direct
slot, and a fancy new case?

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (10/17/90)

In article <wb6sCna00awUI5o3MU@andrew.cmu.edu> vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) writes:
>> UWisc - Madison prices are:
>
>> Mac Classic 1/SuperDrive	756
>> Mac Classic 2/40		1132
>
>> Mac IIsi 2/40			2321
>> Mac IIsi 5/80			2813
>
>Getting on the bandwagon...
>
>CMU Mac Prices:
>Classic 1/SuperDrive	750
>Classic 2/40		1120
>IIsi 2/40			2300
>IIsi 5/80			2790

I see Canadian university students, or atleast those here at the
U of Manitoba are getting the shaft.

Mac Classic 2/40          $1745<cdn>

Mac IIsi 2/40             $3765<cdn>   w/ext kb
Mac IIsi 5/80             $4509<cdn>   w/ext kb

Using a somewhat generous exchange rate of $1.20 and 13.5% FST on CMU's
prices, they would work out to be: $1518, $3119, and $3783, respectively.
A difference of $227, $646, and $726, Cdn, respectively.  I would say
our SI prices are WAY out of line!  Thankfully, I won't be buying one.

Charles

dl3o+@andrew.cmu.edu (David B. Ladek) (10/17/90)

Does anyone have consortium pricing on the IILC?

I know the prices here are really good on the Classic and IIsi, but the
store is being VERY closed-mouthed about the LC.  I'd really appreciate
it ....

dl
dl3o+@andrew.cmu.edu

ogil@quads.uchicago.edu (Brian W. Ogilvie) (10/17/90)

Thanks everyone who responded either by mail or by news
to my original posting. Since so many of the responses have
been by posting, I've decided to not post the responses that
I have received by mail; if you want them drop me a note
and I'd be glad to email them to you.

BTW, I discovered that the $1350 that the University of
Chicago wants for the Classic 2/40 includes your choice
of either MacWrite II, WordPerfect, or Microsoft Word
(academic version). So it's not as much of a gouge as I
had thought. Still, considering that it's about $200 higher
than some of the other schools, it's not as good as it could
be. [Insert standard gripe here about the university going to
the dogs.]

--

jk3t+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jonathan King) (10/17/90)

wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
> At Cornell, Mac Classic 1meg, no hard drive: 815
>                         2meg, 40m hd       :1224
>
> In NYC, in an advertisement in today's NYT, the Mac Classic is
> going for $750.  I think the IIsi was $2300, but I'm not sure.
>
> Some educator's discount.

Okay, so everything listed here *is* cheaper at CMU, but I don't know
how your school funds the campus Computer Store, so this may not be as
raw as you think.

Also, it used to be that many NYC computer places had ads like:
MAC PLUS $447* [or something]

Then whisper:
* when purchased with an ImageWriter II [which you're paying list for, sucker.]

[And they don't print the stuff in brackets]

> -Peter
> Peter Wayner   Department of Computer Science Cornell Univ. Ithaca, NY 14850
> EMail:wayner@cs.cornell.edu    Office: 607-255-9202 or 255-1008

jking

djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) (10/17/90)

The word here is that the 2 drive classic will go for $889 and the
2/40 will go for 1299

hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) (10/18/90)

> I see Canadian university students, or at least those here at the
> U of Manitoba are getting the shaft.
>
> Mac Classic 2/40          $1745<cdn>

Hmm. The University of Toronto Computer Shop is charging $1899<cdn>
for the Mac Classic 2/40.

ggiergiel@vmsa.oac.uci.edu (10/18/90)

Here are the prices UCI highway robbers are charging:

IIsi 2/40 : $2575
IIsi 4/80 : $3125
12" color :  $425
13" color :  $699
std. keyb :  $100
ext. keyb :  $180

Could somebody at Apple look at these obscene
markups and see if their contract with UCI could
be terminated?
J.G

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.135435.15654@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
>> I see Canadian university students, or at least those here at the
>> U of Manitoba are getting the shaft.
>>
>> Mac Classic 2/40          $1745<cdn>
>
>Hmm. The University of Toronto Computer Shop is charging $1899<cdn>
>for the Mac Classic 2/40.

OUCH!!  Looks like your shaft is bigger than ours.

So, does anyone at Apple care<sometimes I wonder! <sorry, needed to get my
occasional Apple jab in there>> to explain why the Canadian prices are so
much higher than those in the U.S.?  I could possibly understand if we were
an ocean apart, but the only thing that seperates us is a river, a couple
lakes <big ones> and some wheat fields.

Charles

draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) (10/18/90)

In keeping with the recent thread of pricing at Universities...

Mac II Systems

(All need Monitor; fx and cx require video card as well; however, extended
keyboard *is* included)

IIfx HD 160/4MB CPU	$6718
IIfx HD 80/4MB CPU	$6060
IIfx 4MB CPU		$5519
IIci HD 80/4 Parity CPU	$4453
IIci HD 80/4MB CPU	$4158
IIci 4MB CPU		$3726
IIsi HD 80/5MB CPU	$2934 *
IIsi HD 40/2MB CPU	$2446 *
IIcx HD 80/4MB CPU	$4082
IIcx HD 40/1MB CPU	$3302
IIcx 1MB CPU		$2890

Macintosh LC Systems

(Does not include monitor.)

HD 40/2MB CPU		$1600 - listed 'approximate price'; available to
				order 11-15-90

Macintosh SE Systems

(Do not include Keyboard.)

SE/30 HD 80/4MB 	$2745
SE/30 HD 40/1MB 	$2023
SE HD 40/2MB		$1336
SE HD 20/1MB		$1119

Macintosh Classic Systems

Classic HD40/2MB	$1120 *
Classic 1MB		$747 *

Macintosh Portable

(It is to laugh...)

Portable HD 40		$3357
Portable		$2930

Monitors

High Resolution 13" Color	$629
 special w/"some computers"	$379
12" Color			$378
Two-Page monochrome		$1042
Monochrome portrait		$692
High-Res monochrome 12"		$189
12" monochrom (available 12/90)	$189

* indicates a system released on 10-15-90

Well, there you have it.  For what it's worth...

Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf		draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu

philip@yunexus.yorku.ca (Phil McDunnough) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.135435.15654@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
>> I see Canadian university students, or at least those here at the
>> U of Manitoba are getting the shaft.
>>
>> Mac Classic 2/40          $1745<cdn>
>
>Hmm. The University of Toronto Computer Shop is charging $1899<cdn>
>for the Mac Classic 2/40.

This is the same price as many local dealers. May I suggest you ask
them why? Perhaps it's time for the University community to look
a little bit more closely at the University of Toronto Computer
Shop's policies.

You might start by looking at prices for NeXT's for various usable
configurations.

In any case as this is a Mac group, there are several good dealers
in Toronto that will easily match that price.

Philip McDunnough
Professor of Statistics
University of Toronto->philip@utstat.toronto.edu
[these are STRICTLY my views,etc...]

isr@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Michael S. Schechter - ISR group account) (10/18/90)

Here at Syracuse Univ.
the Classic is going for 800$, not too bad, but me, I'd rather
have a Plus for $650..

BTW, New York street prices are (get ready) $749!!!!
Computer Era, (212) 689-6500
--
Mike Schechter, Computer Engineer,Institute Sensory Research, Syracuse Univ.
InterNet: Mike_Schechter@isr.syr.edu isr@rodan.syr.edu Bitnet: SENSORY@SUNRISE

jlee4@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Johnny Lee) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct17.135435.15654@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> hofbauer@csri.toronto.edu (John Hofbauer) writes:
>> I see Canadian university students, or at least those here at the
>> U of Manitoba are getting the shaft.
>>
>> Mac Classic 2/40          $1745<cdn>
>
>Hmm. The University of Toronto Computer Shop is charging $1899<cdn>
>for the Mac Classic 2/40.
 At UW it's:

Mac Classic			$1166
Mac Classic 2/40		$1727

Mac LC 2MB Superdrive		$1844
Mac LC 2MB 40MB HD		$2305

Mac IIsi 2Mb 40HD		$3477
Mac IIsi 5MB 80MB HD		$4215

As noted before, even including rate of exchange, there's an extra
couple hundred of bucks not accounted for. Love this free trade. :-)

N.B. The LC and IIsi have curved fronts so that if you place a monitor
on top of them, you get a flush(?? forgive my english, 4yrs of
engineering hasn't helped) surface.

Johnny Lee
jlee4@lion.waterloo.edu

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (10/19/90)

In article <1990Oct17.154504.19204@mailer.cc.fsu.edu> djb@mailer.cc.fsu.edu (David Brightbill) writes:
>The word here is that the 2 drive classic will go for $889 and the
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

				SAY WHAT?????

>2/40 will go for 1299

**My employers don't understand me, so I guess I'm on my own when I speak out**
Norton Chia		|	I *think* my address is
Micro Support		|		carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Finnegan's wake-up call) (10/19/90)

In article <271CB152.6882@orion.oac.uci.edu> ggiergiel@vmsa.oac.uci.edu writes:
>Here are the prices UCI highway robbers are charging:
>
>IIsi 2/40 : $2575
>IIsi 4/80 : $3125
      ^ Should be 5, no?
>12" color :  $425
>13" color :  $699
>std. keyb :  $100
>ext. keyb :  $180

The Keyboard prices are too high, but the others seem in line.  The price
for a Mac IIsi direct from Apple for a non-profit organization is $3050
in the 5Meg/80Meg setup.  A $75 markup isn't too bad.  I think the 13"
color monitor retails for $999, so I don;t see why you're complaining.

The retail price on the Mac IIsi is $4070 (and that is a discounted sale).

gkj@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gregory K Johnson) (10/20/90)

In article <47152@cornell.UUCP> wayner@kama.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Wayner) writes:
>At Cornell, Mac Classic 1meg, no hard drive: 815
>                        2meg, 40m hd       :1224
>
>In NYC, in an advertisement in today's NYT, the Mac Classic is
>going for $750.  I think the IIsi was $2300, but I'm not sure.
>
>Some educator's discount.

It is true that the Mac Classic is advertised at $750.  But they will try
to sell you a whole bunch of things with it, because $750 is just about
dealer cost on the machine.

I went in, bought a Mac Classic with 4 MB of ram and a 40 mb internal hard
drive for $1462, which is less than what I would have paid had I bought
the machine at $750, bought a memory expansion card at the educational
discount price here of $116, 3 SIMM's and an external hard drive mail order.
And they'll have it for me by next week, and I won't have to void the
warranty by installing anything myself.  So I think I got a pretty good
deal (I imagine dealer cost on the machine to be $1200-1300).  But most
importantly, I won't have to wait six weeks for them to deliver the
"educationally discounted" machines.

--Greg Johnson

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (10/20/90)

------
In article <1990Oct19.201213.7782@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>, gkj@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu (Gregory K Johnson) writes...

>It is true that the Mac Classic is advertised at $750.  But they will try
>to sell you a whole bunch of things with it, because $750 is just about
>dealer cost on the machine.
>
>I went in, bought a Mac Classic with 4 MB of ram and a 40 mb internal hard
>drive for $1462, which is less than what I would have paid had I bought
>the machine at $750, bought a memory expansion card at the educational
>discount price here of $116, 3 SIMM's and an external hard drive mail order.
>And they'll have it for me by next week, and I won't have to void the
>warranty by installing anything myself.  So I think I got a pretty good
>deal (I imagine dealer cost on the machine to be $1200-1300).  But most
>importantly, I won't have to wait six weeks for them to deliver the
>"educationally discounted" machines.

What was the name of the place?

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

jtgorman@cs.arizona.edu (Quaestor) (10/23/90)

  Here at the UofAhh, I just got the new _HIGHER EDUCATION PURCHASE PROGRAM_
brochure and on the second page was the lovely little heading of FALL
PROMOTIONAL BUNDLES.  As if the standard student price slash at the UofAhh
was already satisfactory ($1199 for a 2/40 Classic), they have put together
some even better packages.  Check these out:

	IIsi 2/40 & AppleColor Monitor			$2955.30
	IIsi 5/80 &  "              "			$3487.30
	IIci 4 & Apple Color Monitor (no HD?!?!)	$4269.30
	IIci 4/80 & AppleColor Monitor			$4717.30
	IIfx 4 & 8.24 Card & AppleColor Monitor (no HD)	$6748.60
	IIfx 4/80 & 8.24 Card & AppleColor Monitor	$7324.60
	IIfx 4/160 & "       "                 "	$8028.60
          No keyboards, of course

  As if the IIsi wasn't already sweet enuf, this new deal will save me and
other UofAhh students another $250 (for the 2/40 deal).  It's time for a new
machine...

mike@maths.tcd.ie (Mike Rogers) (10/25/90)

In article <271CB152.6882@orion.oac.uci.edu>, ggiergiel@vmsa.oac.uci.edu wrote:
 >Here are the prices UCI highway robbers are charging:
 >IIsi 2/40 : $2575
 >IIsi 4/80 : $3125
 >12" color :  $425
 >13" color :  $699
 >std. keyb :  $100
 >ext. keyb :  $180

	Well here in Ireland the si2/40 will set you back about $5400 in the
Campus Shop. And people wonder why Amiga is so popular in Europe???

--
Mike Rogers, Box 6, Regent Hse, TCD.  | WRITE (UNIT=*,FMT=*) 'FORTRAN SUCKS'
mike@hamilton.maths.tcd.ie (UNIX=>AOK)| The Irish...White Niggers of the World