[comp.sys.mac.misc] Mac Classic cheap Power Supply...

ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) (10/21/90)

AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
Just saw a Mac Classic...  Apple does it again by NOT giving it a
universal (110V - 240V) power supply.  The one I saw had a cute little
"110V" sticker on the back.  Apple person when asked claimed this was done
to keep the cost low.  Thanks guys...

Do any of our European friends out there know if the Classics sold there
come with universal power supplies, or do they have little "220V" stickers
on the back?  (I had heard a rumor of 110-240 on european ones).

--
Ken Stamm (ken@slhisc.uucp, sun.com!gotham!slhisc!ken) (212)341-3868
Shearson Lehman Brothers, 390 Greenwich St. 4W, New York NY 10013

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct21.133912.14179@slhisc.uucp>, ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:

|> AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
|> Just saw a Mac Classic...  Apple does it again by NOT giving it a
|> universal (110V - 240V) power supply.  The one I saw had a cute little
|> "110V" sticker on the back.  Apple person when asked claimed this was done
|> to keep the cost low.  Thanks guys...
|>
|> Do any of our European friends out there know if the Classics sold there
|> come with universal power supplies, or do they have little "220V" stickers
|> on the back?  (I had heard a rumor of 110-240 on european ones).

The original press release said the Classic and LC had the universal power
supplies, but the spec sheets at the Stanford Bookstore say otherwise. A real
blow to frequent travellers and international shoppers (maybe this way Apple
gets to mainain their huge price differential between Europe and the US?).

Does anyone know if there is an internal adjustment for voltage, or does the
power supply have to be swapped?

--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

J.Holley@massey.ac.nz (John Holley) (10/22/90)

In article <1990Oct21.133912.14179@slhisc.uucp> ken@slhisc.uucp (Ken Stamm) writes:

>AARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
>Just saw a Mac Classic...  Apple does it again by NOT giving it a
>universal (110V - 240V) power supply.  The one I saw had a cute little
>"110V" sticker on the back.  Apple person when asked claimed this was done
>to keep the cost low.  Thanks guys...
>
>Do any of our European friends out there know if the Classics sold there
>come with universal power supplies, or do they have little "220V" stickers
>on the back?  (I had heard a rumor of 110-240 on european ones).

Here in New Zealand it appears that the Mac Classic will be 240V only. I
found this out at the launch of the new macs when out of curiosity I checked
the back of a Classic. I questioned the guys from Apple and got the same
answer about keeping costs down.

For a lot of academic staff I know, the advantage of the SE was that it was
fairly portable and they could use it anywhere in the world. Now you have
to have an SE/30 or Mac Portable if you travel the world alot.

John A. Holley                  | J.Holley@massey.ac.nz         : Internet
School of Information Sciences  | J.Holley@nz.ac.massey         : Janet
Massey University               | +64 63 505611                 : Fax
Palmerston North                | +64 63 69099 ext 8616         : Vox
New Zealand                     |  Disclaimer : Sorry! My brain hurts!

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (10/24/90)

Well, at the launch of the new machines in the UK, which was mainly attended
by dealers, developers and a few others like myself, we were told that an
advantage of the Mac Classic having a single voltage power supply would be
that it would cut down grey imports. They didn't go quite so far as to say
it had been deliberately done for that reason though. (If it had, I would
have expected them to do it to the more expensive ones too, where the
profits for grey importers are higher.) Also, they did promise that grey
imports would also be reduced by UK pricing being brought into line with
US pricing, which does seem to be roughly true.
Ralph

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.091054.261@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk>, ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:

|> Well, at the launch of the new machines in the UK, which was mainly attended
|> by dealers, developers and a few others like myself, we were told that an
|> advantage of the Mac Classic having a single voltage power supply would be
|> that it would cut down grey imports. They didn't go quite so far as to say
|> it had been deliberately done for that reason though. (If it had, I would
|> have expected them to do it to the more expensive ones too, where the
|> profits for grey importers are higher.) Also, they did promise that grey
|> imports would also be reduced by UK pricing being brought into line with
|> US pricing, which does seem to be roughly true.

Did they really say this? Good grief.
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu