[comp.sys.mac.misc] Apple Tape Backup

kk@mcnc.org (Krzysztof Kozminski) (10/19/90)

One quick question: does anybody know if there are any technical
reasons causing the Apple Tape Backup to be so sloooooooooooooow, or is
it just a case of lousy software supplied with the hardware ?

Spending three hours to backup 40M of data ('backup files' mode) seems
to be a bit excessive, no?  Especially since 'backup volume' does the
same thing in ~40 minutes.

Inquiring minds want to know ...

KK
--
Kris Kozminski   kk@mcnc.org
"The party was a masquerade; the guests were all wearing their faces."

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (10/19/90)

In article <2652@speedy.mcnc.org> kk@mcnc.org.UUCP (Krzysztof Kozminski) writes:
>One quick question: does anybody know if there are any technical
>reasons causing the Apple Tape Backup to be so sloooooooooooooow, or is
>it just a case of lousy software supplied with the hardware ?

	DC-2000 drives are intrinsically pretty slow, but in this case,
it's just lousy software. I use Retrospect with an Apple Tape backup
40SC, and I can back up about 50MB of data, with compression, in
just over half an hour.

R.

 Rich Siegel	Software Engineer	Symantec Languages Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu	UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

If you have telekinetic powers, raise my hand.

jjwcmp@isc.rit.edu (Jeff Wasilko) (10/25/90)

In article <4476@husc6.harvard.edu> siegel@endor.UUCP (Rich Siegel) writes:
>In article <2652@speedy.mcnc.org> kk@mcnc.org.UUCP (Krzysztof Kozminski) writes:
>>One quick question: does anybody know if there are any technical
>>reasons causing the Apple Tape Backup to be so sloooooooooooooow, or is
>>it just a case of lousy software supplied with the hardware ?
>
>	DC-2000 drives are intrinsically pretty slow, but in this case,
>it's just lousy software. I use Retrospect with an Apple Tape backup
>40SC, and I can back up about 50MB of data, with compression, in
>just over half an hour.

I read somewhere that Apple is now including a certificate for a free
(or $50) copy of Retrospect with their drives.

Jeff
--
| RIT VAX/VMS Systems: |     Jeff Wasilko     |     RIT Ultrix Systems:     |
|BITNET: jjwcmp@ritvax +----------------------+ INET:jjwcmp@ultb.isc.rit.edu|