[comp.sys.mac.misc] Macintalk Replacement?

bw10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Blake D. Ward) (10/23/90)

A few months ago there were lots of posts indicating that Macintalk
would definitely not work with System 7.0, but I don't think any of them
mentioned any kind of replacement.

Has anyone heard any rumors, announcements, etc. from Apple or any other
company for something that would replace the functionality of Macintalk?
 Seems like an obvious market niche that somebody must be planning to
fill, especially since there are commercial products for the handicapped
that depend on Macintalk.

On a related note, does anyone know if Macintalk will work with the new
crop of Macintoshes (specifically the IIsi) when they're still running
System 6.0.n?

Thanks,

    Blake.

rsfinn@e40-008-11.? (Russell S. Finn) (10/24/90)

In article <gb97A8e00WBL41sVw3@andrew.cmu.edu> bw10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Blake D. Ward) writes:

   Has anyone heard any rumors, announcements, etc. from Apple or any other
   company for something that would replace the functionality of Macintalk?
   Seems like an obvious market niche that somebody must be planning to
   fill, especially since there are commercial products for the handicapped
   that depend on Macintalk.

Yes; I seem to remember that one of the Apple developer newsletters
over the summer had some indication that Apple itself would be
releasing a replacement for Macintalk, possibly as early as May 1991.
If this is the same software I heard demo output from at the last
MegaMeeting in Boston last April, then its speech quality will be far
superior to Macintalk.  (Disclaimer:  this was not a live demo, just a
sound bite played during the speech given by someone from Apple's
Advanced Technology Group.)

   On a related note, does anyone know if Macintalk will work with the new
   crop of Macintoshes (specifically the IIsi) when they're still running
   System 6.0.n?

System 6.0.7 contains the new Sound Manager from System 7, which is
not compatible with Macintalk.  Sorry.

-- Russell S. Finn
rsfinn@{athena,lcs}.mit.edu

drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) (10/24/90)

What's all the talk about System 6.0.7 being incompatible with
MacinTalk?  I've been running the two together for the past three
days with no problems whatsoever.

(Or is Apple not telling us something again?!)

--
David R. Zinkin  --> Rochester General Hospital Radiology (Consultant)
(drz@po.cwru.edu)    CWRU Macintosh User Group (Columnist & Consultant)

time@tbomb.ice.com (Tim Endres) (10/24/90)

In article <1990Oct24.042001.25106@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David R. Zinkin) writes:
> What's all the talk about System 6.0.7 being incompatible with
> MacinTalk?  I've been running the two together for the past three
> days with no problems whatsoever.

From what Apple states about the new sound manager in 6.0.7 is that
it is the System7.0 sound manager. They list dozens of bug fixes!
BUT, I saw no mention of incompatabilities with MacInTalk.
The last word from Apple, concerning MacInTalk, was that they no lomger
supported it (period), and that applications relying on its functionality
would probably break on future hardware/software platforms. They did
not elaborate on which those would be.

So, the bottom line is -> Don't build a $1 Million a year software
product on MacinTalk unless you are prepared to rewrite it. Otherwise,
it will probably continue to work on most Macs running 6.X for some
time. I can't say what it does under 7.0, haven't tried it.

tim.

Tim Endres                |  time@ice.com
ICE Engineering           |  uunet!ice.com!time
8840 Main Street          |
Whitmore Lake MI. 48189   |  (313) 449 8288

rsfinn@athena.mit.edu (Russell S. Finn) (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.042001.25106@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, drz@po.CWRU.Edu (David
R. Zinkin) writes:  [in reponse to my claim to the contrary]

|> What's all the talk about System 6.0.7 being incompatible with
|> MacinTalk?  I've been running the two together for the past three
|> days with no problems whatsoever.

Well, all I know is what I read; I'm not using 6.0.7 yet.  Everything I've
heard says "Macintalk isn't compatible with the new Sound Manager."  If it
works for you, that's terrific.  What configuration are you using?

Russell S. Finn
rsfinn@{athena,lcs}.mit.edu

drz@po.cwru.edu (10/25/90)

In article <1990Oct24.221107.11950@athena.mit.edu> rsfinn@athena.mit.edu
(Russell S. Finn) writes:
>In article <1990Oct24.042001.25106@usenet.ins.cwru.edu>, drz@po.CWRU.Edu
(David
>R. Zinkin) writes:  [in reponse to my claim to the contrary]
>|>
>|> What's all the talk about System 6.0.7 being incompatible with
>|> MacinTalk?  I've been running the two together for the past three
>|> days with no problems whatsoever.
>|>

>Well, all I know is what I read; I'm not using 6.0.7 yet.  Everything I've
>heard says "Macintalk isn't compatible with the new Sound Manager."  If it
>works for you, that's terrific.  What configuration are you using?
>
>Russell S. Finn
>rsfinn@{athena,lcs}.mit.edu

I'm using a Mac SE/30 with 5 MB RAM, two hard drives (80 MB and 40 MB), System
6.0.7, Finder 6.1.7, MultiFinder 6.1b9, and various INITs.  The INITs aren't
making a difference since the same thing happens with or without all INITs
disabled.

It makes me wonder, though; is it possible that MacinTalk works only because
Apple put in "work-around" code?  If anyone has seen the "6.0.6b19 Change
Notes" from apple.apple.com, you'll notice that it mentions that 6.0.5 had
problems with On Cue, and 6.0.7 has special code to allow On Cue to continue to
work.

hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu (David Hairston) (10/26/90)

[rsfinn@e40-008-11.? (Russell S. Finn) writes:]
[] ... {someone wrote:}
[]    On a related note, does anyone know if Macintalk will work with the new
[]    crop of Macintoshes (specifically the IIsi) when they're still running
[]    System 6.0.n?
[]
[] System 6.0.7 contains the new Sound Manager from System 7, which is
[] not compatible with Macintalk.  Sorry.

i'm running Lip Service, an INIT, that uses MacinTalk to speak a
startup message.  this is on system 6.0.7, mac II (IIx ROMs) ...
your mileage may vary.

  -dave-
hairston@henry.ece.cmu.edu