[comp.sys.mac.misc] Amiga 3000 + Amax == Ii

Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) (09/30/90)

Your price comparison does not take into account usability and support of the machines, obviously.  If price were the only criterion, the Amiga would win on every front.  However, there is more than price involved.  The Amiga is good for animation and video.  It is good at little else.

--
Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/11/90)

I, and several other Amiga owners would take exception to that last statemen
tof yours, which just proved that you knew next to nothing about the Amiga.

YES, the Amiga is super at video and animation work.  It's also a good color
DTP platform as well.  Tell me, what machines were used to make the first
completely DTPed magazine...not the Mac...C64s and Amigas.  I'm sure that
several magazines use Macs in the production of their magazines, but the Amiga
is used by several for every aspect of the publication process.  VERBUM is the
only mag I can think of that can claim this for the Mac.

Even though the term is over-used, the Amiga is the most capable MultiMedia
platform, when you take into account everything that's built in, multitasking,
interprocess communications, etc.

Support for the Amiga has been shallow at best in the past, but things are
changing all the time...perhaps you should stick to commenting on something
you're alittle more familiar with.

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 994-1602         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  ...better life through creative computing... |   recreation...(whew!)

aslakson@cs.umn.edu (Brian Aslakson) (10/11/90)

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

>[lots of stuff about Sonny not knowing an Amiga from a hole in the ground
>deleted]

Sonny Shrivastava annoys me too.  He thinks he's BIFF.  I know BIFF.  He's
no BIFF.

Brian Aslakson
--
.signature: No such file or directory, really.

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/12/90)

In article <4911@crash.cts.com>, seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) writes:

> I, and several other Amiga owners would take exception to that last statemen
> tof yours, which just proved that you knew next to nothing about the Amiga.

Calm down Sean...this isn't worth the adrenalin.

> YES, the Amiga is super at video and animation work.

No question about that, certainly at the low to mid range (with a bit
more cash, into the middle-upper range a bit).

> It's also a good color DTP platform as well.

Well...low/entry level, OK.  It has the potential, but it's a real pain
to get commercial-quality results out of it.

> Tell me, what machines were used to make the first
> completely DTPed magazine...not the Mac...C64s and Amigas.

This is mostly because of where the different publishing groups were
coming from.  The C64 and Amiga mags that use/used their respective
platforms for production are/were very clearly enthusiast publications.
The quality of typography, layout, art, etc. were by no means up to
glossy publication standards.  This isn't to sneer, either, but they
were not up to mass-market standards.

> I'm sure that
> several magazines use Macs in the production of their magazines, but the Amiga
> is used by several for every aspect of the publication process.  VERBUM is the
> only mag I can think of that can claim this for the Mac.

Not any more, there are several others that can lay such claim.  Mostly`
small-circulation, speciality interest publications, but that's what you'd
expect with new technology coming on line.  Exactly what happened with the
amiga-produced publications.  So what's new.

It all brings to mind Dr. Johnson's remarkable dancing dog:  the remarkable thing
wasn't that the dog danced well, but that it danced at all.  Just because you
*could* produce a magazine completely with Amigas/Macs doesn't necessarily mean
that you *should*.  Use the tools that produce the desired results to get the
best quality for your production.  If it runs on your computer, great, if not,
then you'll wait a little longer.  Those with higher standards of "acceptable"
will wait longer than those with lower expectations.

And even with beautiful production standards, you can't seem to get *any*
of the trade rags to display consistent writing quality, or even good
spelling.

> Even though the term is over-used, the Amiga is the most capable MultiMedia
> platform, when you take into account everything that's built in, multitasking,
> interprocess communications, etc.

Hardly.  But it *is* likely to fit the bill down in its price range.  It would
be better with better software support.

> Support for the Amiga has been shallow at best in the past, but things are
> changing all the time...perhaps you should stick to commenting on something
> you're alittle more familiar with.

You need a bit more learning about the tools and techniques of the publishing
trade.  There's plenty of time for that.

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) (10/13/90)

It might help me if you quoted the part of my message you were responding
to, because I have no idea what you are talking about.  If you're claiming
the Amiga is superior to the Mac, buzz off.  That argument is moot, because
the Macs are accepted in business and industry.  The Amiga is not.  I had an
Amiga for a couple of years - it was one headache after another.

Anybody seriously considering the Amiga better think twice before parting
with his/her money.  You're way off the beaten track if you get an Amiga, and
I think any smart computer-wise individual will tell you that.  Of course, if
you have a special need for the Amiga's video capabilities, then it is
undoubtedly the machine for you.  However, for general purpose computing,
stick to the popular and known computers.

--
Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava
INTERNET: Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (10/22/90)

Just to clear up a few elements of misinformation...

.info magazine is a mass-market magazine, indistinguishable in
quality from any, is produced on the Amiga and is nearly unique
in performing *all* integrative and layout functions inside the
Amiga, outputting directly to film, and printing with no further
assembly work.

Stop saying the words low-end.  They date you.  The Video
Toaster,
to name one product in particular, is the full broadcast quality
equivalent of roughly $60,000 of video production hardware plus
boasts features unavailable without Pixars or the like.  Even
in pre-Toaster days, Amigas ran entire broadcasting television
stations.  The toaster just integrates the production more
thoroughly.  In DTP Amiga's no slacker either... I read the
BYTE product comparison and have used Mac DTP software--Amiga's
stuff more than holds its own.  I was surprised at some of the
tasks that are considered difficult on Mac/PC platforms; true
multitasking becomes sort of addictive after a while.
Amigas put together the victorious Atlanta Olympics proposal
where
Mac IIfxs had been tried and had failed.  Amiga bus bandwidth is
the widest in the PC industry--you can't run full-motion 24-bit
video at SuperVHS quality from a hard disk through a Mac.
For traditional business apps, that's just software, we've got
plenty and more comes out each month.  If a person needs to do
X right now with a computer, and X is avil

available only on Y, then by all means buy Y.  But for a general
purpose computer boasting unparalled power, price, flexibility,
and user-configurability and control, you can't do better
than Amiga.

I keep up on the news from the whole industry, and am sure that
those of you who want to hear Amiga news will read
comp.sys.amiga.* and don't need me posting this here.  But if
people insist on posting incorrect information we will correct
it as a service to the public, as the NeXT groupies have been
kind enough to do in c.s.amiga.

Cheers
Thom

In article <13457@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) writes:
>Just to clear up a few elements of misinformation...
>

>For traditional business apps, that's just software, we've got
>plenty and more comes out each month.  If a person needs to do
>X right now with a computer, and X is avil

	Currently the Mac has one main advantage over the Amiga
and that is professional software in a wide range of fields.
Apple had better be praying that Commodore doesn't convince a
number of companies to port, which they are desperately trying to
do. Commodore has huge market share in Europe, it is just in the
U.S. that they do so badly. There are almost 2,000,000 Amigas
worldwide, selling at around 750,000 a year and growing. Over 2/3
are in Europe. Apple's new pricing will help, but in the long
wrong the damage to Apple's profits may be severe.
	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

mike@maths.tcd.ie (Mike Rogers) (10/24/90)

In article <7875.271B9F26@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG>, Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) wrote:
>the Amiga is superior to the Mac, buzz off.  That argument is moot, because
>the Macs are accepted in business and industry.  The Amiga is not.  I had an

	So by that criterion, the PC is better than a Mac? You need your head
examined.

Mike.
--
Mike Rogers, Box 6, Regent Hse, TCD.  | WRITE (UNIT=*,FMT=*) 'FORTRAN SUCKS'
mike@hamilton.maths.tcd.ie (UNIX=>AOK)| The Irish...White Niggers of the World

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/27/90)

With the increasing popularity of UNIX Apple had better watch out for the
Amiga as well.

Here is where the Amiga will definately overpower the Mac when it comes to
professional software.  AmigaUNIX is ABI compliant, and therefore will work
with any 680x0 Vr4 app, and supports major industry standards such as X,
TCP/IP, NFS, and OpenLook.

The A3000UX comes with 5MB (maybe 4) of RAM, 100MB of HD, EtherNet,
high-resolution 1024 x 768 display, system and support software, and more.

The display adapter is the card developed by the University of Lowell
utilizing the TMS34010 at 50-60MHz...

Sean