[comp.sys.mac.misc] Sleep entry in Special menu in Finder

parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) (10/26/90)

>In <1990Oct25.205254.18675@cec1.wustl.edu> jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) writes:

>>The Finder contains a Menu ID=15 which has a Sleep entry below ShutDown.
>>What is this menu used for? (A/UX?).

>>Jerome

>I'm pretty sure that's for the portable, which goes to 'sleep' to conserve
battery power.

>--
>Alex Jauch
>*ajauch@bonnie.ics.uci.edu     |"If all you have is a hammer, then the whole
>*ajauch@orion.oac.uci.edu      |world looks like a nail" -- Stolen

That's funny, on my MacIIcx, when I select sleep from the special menu,
Pyro 4.0 blanks my screen.  Hmmm...now how do you suppose those Pyro
people managed to hack the portable menu to suit their uses???

Seriously, the menu with sleep in it is added by Pyro 4.0.  Obviously,
you copied a finder that belongs with a system that once had (or has)
Pyro installed.

I believe that the portable's 'sleep' is actually a DA called battery
that performs as if it should be called sleep, but I guess Fifth Generation
Systems had the copyright on sleep.

Hope this clears things up.

Parker

bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) (10/26/90)

>Hope this clears things up.

Let me clear up your clarification a bit.

In article <929@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
>>In <1990Oct25.205254.18675@cec1.wustl.edu> jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) writes:
>>>The Finder contains a Menu ID=15 which has a Sleep entry below ShutDown.
>>>What is this menu used for? (A/UX?).
>
>>I'm pretty sure that's for the portable, which goes to 'sleep' to conserve
>battery power.
>
>Seriously, the menu with sleep in it is added by Pyro 4.0.  Obviously,
>you copied a finder that belongs with a system that once had (or has)
>Pyro installed.

First off, you're not supposed to copy Finders!  Anybody who's anybody
uses the Installer.  If you try to drag-copy system software onto your
machine from someone else's and you actually expect it to work, the
Macintosh Thought Police will laugh at you behind your back...

The Sleep menu item under Special is really threre.  When the System
senses that you're running on a Mac Portable, it makes the selection
become available.  If you either select `Sleep' or let the Portable
sit untouched for a while, it will go to sleep: the screen will blank,
the hard drive will spin down, and it will go into low-power mode
until you press any key.

I'm not sure how Pyro 4 does it; I haven't gotten a chance to play
with Pyro recently.  It might just add a menuitem of its own and
ignore the Sleep that's already available.  I wonder what happens when
you use Pyro 4 on a Portable?

>I believe that the portable's 'sleep' is actually a DA called battery
>that performs as if it should be called sleep, but I guess Fifth Generation
>Systems had the copyright on sleep.

The Battery DA brings up a small battery-power-level indicator.  The
batteries in the Mac Portable discharge at a steady rate over a long
period of time, allowing smart software to be able to estimate the
life left in them before a recharge is necessary.  In contrast,
batteries used in most MS-DOS portables tend to output steady power,
then discharge rapidly over a short interval of time; that's why no PC
laptops have battery-level indicators (except for a light that goes on
when the sudden power drop is seen).

Now, I hope *that* clears things up!  ;)

     << Brian >>

| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |
.. s l o w l y,  s l o w l y,  w i t h  t h e  v e l o c i t y  o f  l o v e.

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (10/26/90)

In article James Parker writes:

>That's funny, on my MacIIcx, when I select sleep from the special menu,
>Pyro 4.0 blanks my screen.  Hmmm...now how do you suppose those Pyro
>people managed to hack the portable menu to suit their uses???

>Seriously, the menu with sleep in it is added by Pyro 4.0.  Obviously,
>you copied a finder that belongs with a system that once had (or has)
>Pyro installed.

You went from being right, to being wrong! The system straight from Apple's
system disks contain two Special menu resources, one with a "Sleep" function
and one without. If you are using the Portable, then the Sleep version of the
Special menu is used.

Pyro 4.0 does indeed pull a little hack to use the Portable's version of the
Special menu for their own needs. I pretty creative hack I must say.

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"

sfeldon@milton.u.washington.edu (Steve Feldon) (10/26/90)

>>Seriously, the menu with sleep in it is added by Pyro 4.0. ..
>
>The Sleep menu item under Special is really threre.
>
>I'm not sure how Pyro 4 does it; I haven't gotten a chance to play
>with Pyro recently.  It might just add a menuitem of its own and
>ignore the Sleep that's already available.  I wonder what happens when
>you use Pyro 4 on a Portable?

I am probably the only person in the world to have tried to run The Grouch
and Pyro 4 at the same time, so I think I'll add my two cents.  The Grouch
changes the Empty Trash item into About the Grouch... unless you have Pyro
installed.  Pyro overwrote the standard menu with a clean menu, no Grouch
item at all, but a nice little Sleep.  When I removed Pyro, The Grouch was
back.  I don't know the mechanism, but I strongly suspect that they either
overwrite the system's image of the special menu, or that they simply intercept
clicks on the special menu's area of the menu bar.  Anyone from Fifth
Generation on the Net?
	BTW, I have never run either on a portable, but it would be a good
experiment.  Portable owners?

Steve Feldon                    | Disclaimer:  Most everything is my
sfeldon@coco.ms.washington.edu  |   fault anyway, so don't worry about it.

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (10/26/90)

In article <3603@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:

-First off, you're not supposed to copy Finders!  Anybody who's anybody
-uses the Installer.  If you try to drag-copy system software onto your
-machine from someone else's and you actually expect it to work, the
-Macintosh Thought Police will laugh at you behind your back...

I copy Finders all the time.  It's easier than running LAYO on each and every
individual copy.  The Finder is just another program.  I just make sure it is
the same system level as the system I am using.

-| Brian S. Kendig      \ Macintosh |   Engineering,   | bskendig             |
-| Computer Engineering |\ Thought  |  USS Enterprise  | @phoenix.Princeton.EDU
-| Princeton University |_\ Police  | -= NCC-1701-D =- | @PUCC.BITNET         |

Another dumb cop.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

siegel@endor.uucp (Rich Siegel) (10/26/90)

In article <929@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:
>>In <1990Oct25.205254.18675@cec1.wustl.edu> jyp@wucs1.wustl.edu (Jerome Yvon Plun) writes:
>
>>>The Finder contains a Menu ID=15 which has a Sleep entry below ShutDown.
>>>What is this menu used for? (A/UX?).
>
>Seriously, the menu with sleep in it is added by Pyro 4.0.  Obviously,
>you copied a finder that belongs with a system that once had (or has)
>Pyro installed.
>
>I believe that the portable's 'sleep' is actually a DA called battery
>that performs as if it should be called sleep, but I guess Fifth Generation
>Systems had the copyright on sleep.

	Bzzt. :-)

	The "Sleep" menu command is in fact used on the Portable for putting
the machine into a sleep state. Pyro! performs a bit of legerdemain to make
the system you're running *think* it's capable of sleeping, and then gets
in on the command. (Either that, or the put in a bunch of bottlenecks, and
don't fool the system at all.) Either way, it makes no permanent modification
to the system; if you boot with Pyro! turned off, "Sleep" will not be in
the Finder's Special menu.

R.

 Rich Siegel	Software Engineer	Symantec Languages Group
 Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu	UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel

If you have telekinetic powers, raise my hand.

jimb@silvlis.com (Jim Budler) (10/26/90)

In article <929@h.cs.wvu.wvnet.edu> parker@cs.wvu.wvnet.edu (James Parker) writes:

>Seriously, the menu with sleep in it is added by Pyro 4.0.  Obviously,
>you copied a finder that belongs with a system that once had (or has)
>Pyro installed.
>
>I believe that the portable's 'sleep' is actually a DA called battery
>that performs as if it should be called sleep, but I guess Fifth Generation
>Systems had the copyright on sleep.

Well no, there are two menu's one without sleep for most Macs, and one
with sleep for the Mac Portable.

Pyro tricks the Finder into using the Portable version for it's Sleep
Now function.

The Portable goes to sleep mode when you select sleep, the Battery DA
monitors the amount of charge left in the Battery.

jim

--
     __           __
     /  o         /      Jim Budler      jimb@silvlis.com      |  Proud

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (10/27/90)

writes:

>>>I'm pretty sure that's for the portable, which goes to 'sleep' to conserve
>>battery power.
>>
>>Seriously, the menu with sleep in it is added by Pyro 4.0.  Obviously,
>>you copied a finder that belongs with a system that once had (or has)
>>Pyro installed.
>
>The Sleep menu item under Special is really threre.  When the System
>senses that you're running on a Mac Portable, it makes the selection
>become available.
>
>I'm not sure how Pyro 4 does it; I haven't gotten a chance to play
>with Pyro recently.  It might just add a menuitem of its own and
>ignore the Sleep that's already available.

The sleep menu exists in all recent Finders (I'm not sure when it
started, but since the Portable came out anyway).  If a System trap
called _Sleep exists, then the Finder displays the Special menu with the
Sleep item instead of the normal Special menu.  Selecting Sleep in this
menu simply calls the _Sleep trap.  Finder doesn't actually know what
Sleep will do.

The portable has a _Sleep trap built into it, probably in ROM.  Pyro
simply checks to see if this trap already exists and if it doesn't, then
adds one of its own, which calls its own "Sleep" routine.

The interesting thing is that the Finder that runs under A/UX has a
third Special menu that has a Logout item instead of Sleep.  It checks
for a certain A/UX trap and supplies a logout function if it exists.  It's
a good thing A/UX doesn't run on the Portable :-).

--
Andy Peterman                       |   Opinions expressed
treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com  | are definitely those of