[comp.sys.mac.misc] Hardware accelerators for the MAC

gil@jts.com (gil) (10/26/90)

I have several questions about graphics accelerators for the Mac
(Nubus). Hopefully somebody out there has some experience with these
and can help out.

	1) What vendors are selling graphics (quickdraw) accelerators
	and how much are they?

	2) Do they work reliably across different applications that
	use quickdraw?

	3) What sort of performance improvements would one expect from
	these?

	4) If you have actual experience I would be interested in
	getting some numbers (management is hard to please).

	5) Are there any graphics accelerators that provide
	functionality over and above quickdraw (i.e. display list
	processing, polygon shading, x-windows, etc.)? Again, actual
	experience would be helpful.

	6) What fields of applications would benefit from such
	acceleration (CAD, DTP, scientific, etc.)?

Thanks in advance,

	Gil
+-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
| Gil Hauer, Tech Noir Inc.   |       gil@jtsv16.jts.com                  |
| Toronto +1 416 653-8276     |  or:  uunet!jtsv16!gil                    |
+-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+
  Opinions expressed herein are solely my own and any resemblance to
those of my employers or clients (living or dead) is purely coincidental.
--
+-----------------------------+-------------------------------------------+

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu (Garance Drosehn) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct25.202530.19164@jts.com> gil@jts.com (gil) writes:
> I have several questions about graphics accelerators for the Mac
> (Nubus). Hopefully somebody out there has some experience with these
> and can help out.
   ...etc...

While I'm sure you want all the opinions you can get, please pick one
newsgroup and post your request-for-info there.  The whole idea of having
multiple newsgroups is to split up the Mac traffic, and cross-posting the
same message to all the newsgroups completely defeats that purpose.

Offhand I'd think this belongs in mac.hardware, and that newsgroup only.

This isn't meant to be nasty, but we all seem to be drifting to the point
that c.s.m.misc contains every message on any Macintosh topic, with cross-
postings to the other groups.  For me at least this gets rather irritating.
Given that I'm reading all the newsgroups anyway and using the hypercard
netnews reader stack to do it, I end up seeing the same messages in each
group.

Garance_Drosehn@mts.rpi.edu
ITS Systems Programmer
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute; Troy, NY.  USA