[comp.sys.mac.misc] Installer

ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr b.c. adamson) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct26.050534.694@Neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>In article <3603@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU (Brian Kendig) writes:
>
>-First off, you're not supposed to copy Finders!  Anybody who's anybody
>-uses the Installer.  If you try to drag-copy system software onto your
>-machine from someone else's and you actually expect it to work, the
>-Macintosh Thought Police will laugh at you behind your back...
>
>I copy Finders all the time.  It's easier than running LAYO on each and every
>individual copy.  The Finder is just another program.  I just make sure it is
>the same system level as the system I am using.

On this topic, when is Apple going to acknowledge that the installer
should NOT destroy the LAYO resource in the finder? I only have one
change (which fixes the ludicrous standard line spacing in the text
views) so it's not much of a worry to me, but surely not obliterating
this sort of customisation is one of the reasons the installer exists
at all.

Boyd Adamson
ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au
ins145s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au

n67786@lehtori.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (10/27/90)

In article <5575@monu1.cc.monash.oz> ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c. adamson) writes:

   >In article <1990Oct26.050534.694@Neon.Stanford.EDU> kaufman@Neon.Stanford.
   >EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
   >
   >>In article <3603@idunno.Princeton.EDU> bskendig@shine.Princeton.EDU
   >>(Brian Kendig) writes:
   >>
   >>-First off, you're not supposed to copy Finders!  Anybody who's anybody
   >>-uses the Installer.  If you try to drag-copy system software onto your
   >>-machine from someone else's and you actually expect it to work, the
   >>-Macintosh Thought Police will laugh at you behind your back...
   >>
   >>I copy Finders all the time.  It's easier than running LAYO on each and
   >>every individual copy.  The Finder is just another program.  I just make
   >>sure it is the same system level as the system I am using.

   >On this topic, when is Apple going to acknowledge that the installer
   >should NOT destroy the LAYO resource in the finder? I only have one
   >change (which fixes the ludicrous standard line spacing in the text
   >views) so it's not much of a worry to me, but surely not obliterating
   >this sort of customisation is one of the reasons the installer exists
   >at all.
   >
   >Boyd Adamson

I have sort of begun to think that the desk top layout shouldn't be
carried with the finder at all. IMHO much better place for such
information would be the DeskTop file on each disk. It's a pain in the *ss
to see all your neat arrangements to be screwed up if you accidentally
select Reorganize (or something like that--I use national Finish Finder
and am not sure about the name in USA Finder) to put an by accident
misplaced file. Then we should of cource need still a comman to transfer
the preferred layout from for example the boot disk to any other
disk. Anyone agree or have any other bright ideas?

--
   Tero Nieminen                    Tampere University of Technology
   n67786@lehtori.tut.fi                Tampere, Finland, Europe

n67786@lehtori.tut.fi (Nieminen Tero) (10/29/90)

In article <1990Oct28.192230.20204@wpi.WPI.EDU> jhp@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Petrangleo) writes:

   >Nieminen Tero writes:
   >>
   >>I have sort of begun to think that the desk top layout shouldn't
   >>be carried with the finder at all. IMHO much better place for such
   >>information would be the DeskTop file on each disk. It's a pain
   >>in the *ss

   >How about a Control Panel Device to handle desktop layout.  That
   >seems like it would be an ideal place to configure the finder.

That would be much better, than having a separate application, like we
now do.  And it also would ensure better compatibility with new system
software and also give Apple better reason to change the default
straight line layout of icons into a one where every other icon would be
positioned somewhat lower to prevent overlapping of file names.

But that still doesn't change the fact that the Finder is not the
perfect place to hold the information of the layout in the first place.
Anyone care to comment on that? (Refer to my earlier posting on
details.)
---

jhp@wpi.WPI.EDU (John Petrangleo) (10/29/90)

                 -------------------------
		     jhp@wpi.wpi.edu
		 -------------------------

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (10/30/90)

In an article John Petrangleo writes:

>How about a Control Panel Device to handle desktop layout.  That seems like it
>would be an ideal place to configure the finder.

System 7.0 has a layout CDEV. (If they are indeed still called CDEVs...more
like applications really).

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"