[comp.sys.mac.misc] new flight sime [D[D for mac

george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) (10/26/90)

For months we have waited for an upgrade for Flight Simulator on the mac
while the pc version has been upgraded two (or is it three) times.

Yesterday I heard about yet another addition to the PC flight simulator
line int the form of an even better scenery/aircraft designer kit.

What is going on here?  Heard a rumor about some sort of legal tiff between
Sublogic and Microsoft.  Say it isn't so!

--
George Rachor Jr.
Intel Corporation

oze3@quads.uchicago.edu (james daniel ozeran) (10/27/90)

>For months we have waited for an upgrade for Flight Simulator on the mac
>while the pc version has been upgraded two (or is it three) times.

As far as I know, the DOS versions of FS are up to #4, including an
aircraft editor, dynamic weather generation and moving objects.

>Yesterday I heard about yet another addition to the PC flight simulator
>line int the form of an even better scenery/aircraft designer kit.

I've heard it too.  It was supposed to hit the market a week or so
ago, but I haven't actually seen it yet.

>What is going on here?  Heard a rumor about some sort of legal tiff between
>Sublogic and Microsoft.  Say it isn't so!

Sorry, but it's true.  Microsoft filed against Sublogic regarding
their (Sublogic's) release of a new PC based simulator of large
jets called ATP-Air Transport Pilot.  The suit has thus far
resulted in a restraining order or something prohibiting Sublogic
from actually distributing their program.  Of course it may work
the other way around too.  Microsoft's new scenery editor may never
hit the shelves if Sublogic gets an order stopping them too.  After
all, I'd be willing to bet that some of the same technology is
going into both programs, and that's (as far as I've heard) what
the suit is all about.

Maybe in the meantime, they'll release the new Mac version so at
least someone can fly a good program.
>--
					Happy Flying,

					Dan Ozeran.

J. Daniel Ozeran	|	oze3@midway.uchicago.edu
Depts. of Biochemistry 	|	jozeran@biovax.uchicago.edu
and Molecular Biology	|

arends@Yosemite.metaphor.com (Dale M. Arends) (10/30/90)

In article <319@flight.UUCP> george@flight.UUCP (George Rachor ) writes:

>For months we have waited for an upgrade for Flight Simulator on the mac
>while the pc version has been upgraded two (or is it three) times.
>
>Yesterday I heard about yet another addition to the PC flight simulator
>line int the form of an even better scenery/aircraft designer kit.
>
>What is going on here?  Heard a rumor about some sort of legal tiff between
>Sublogic and Microsoft.  Say it isn't so!
>
>--
>George Rachor Jr.
>Intel Corporation
>Hillsboro, OR  97124
>george@flight.hf.intel.com

The last I heard was from a mailing that was sent out by (I think)
Microsoft (you know, their once in a whenever they feel like it mailing)
which said that the Flight Simulator was being totally redone for System
7.0.

Ok, I'll believe it when I see it (them, acutally) but when I see it I'll
be one of the first to grab it.

All heresay...that's all it is.

Dale
Dale M. Arends					Metaphor Computer Systems, Inc.
arends@metaphor.com
Any opinions expressed herein are my own and not those of my employer.  They
probably aren't interested and maybe don't agree and therefore ...