[comp.sys.mac.misc] Da-Menuz questions

boyd@cs.arizona.edu (Boyd A. Burkhardt) (10/26/90)

I once had an init called da-menuz or hier-da or something like that but
found that the version I had (.xx84)? did not work on my ci.  Basically I
used it to get a hierarchical menu for the control panel items in the apple
menu.  Does anyone know of something that will do this on a ci?

     ----- Thanks -----
     -----  Boyd  -----

smcguire@eagle.mit.edu (Scott McGuire) (10/27/90)

In article <481@caslon.cs.arizona.edu> boyd@cs.arizona.edu (Boyd A.
Burkhardt) writes:
> I once had an init called da-menuz or hier-da or something like that but
> found that the version I had (.xx84)? did not work on my ci.  Basically I
> used it to get a hierarchical menu for the control panel items in the apple
> menu.  Does anyone know of something that will do this on a ci?
>
>      ----- Thanks -----
>      -----  Boyd  -----

I run hier-da .9984 on my IIci with no problem whatsoever.  However, I
have been told my all my friends (those that use IIci's that is) that this
is impossible because it doesn't work on theirs.  Who knows.  Anyway, I
run 6.0.7 with a large variety of INIT's as my system as well.  Perhaps
the trick is that I only have hier-da/DA menuz set to do the Contorl Panel
menu and that's it, all the other options are unchecked.

Anyway, hier-DA/DA menuz has gone commercial and become part of NOW utilities.
You'd hope the version they ship with it works with IIci's, but I don't know,
I've never seen it.

--Scott McGuire
smcguire@eagle.mit.edu

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK (10/28/90)

I too am having an intermittent problem with DAmenuz.

Setup is:  IIx, system 6.0.5, multifinder 6.1b9 and bunches of INITs :-)

The problem: sometimes (not immediately after a reboot) selecting control panel
when in the finder does not bring up the heirachical menu and you can't bring
up the control panel. If you go into an application it always works!

Problem seems to be related to MF 6.1b9 (I have a friend who has the same
thing on a IIci under 6.0.5).

I am using the 'Spirit of '76 release (0.9x76?) which has dire warnings about
being an intermediate release.

Anybody else see this and solved the problem.

At the moment DAmenuz has been dumped for the 'Set aside' feature.

Many thanks

Kevin G. Purcell       | kpurcell@liverpool.ac.uk
Surface Science,       |
Liverpool University   | Programming the Macintosh is easy if you understand
Liverpool L69 3BX      | how the Mac works and hard if you don't. -- Dan Allen

draphsor@elaine0.stanford.edu (Matt Rollefson) (10/30/90)

KPURCELL@LIVERPOOL.AC.UK writes:

>I too am having an intermittent problem with DAmenuz.

Me too!

>Setup is:  IIx, system 6.0.5, multifinder 6.1b9 and bunches of INITs :-)

SE/30, system 6.0.7, multifinder 6.1b9, many many INITs.

>The problem: sometimes (not immediately after a reboot) selecting control panel
>when in the finder does not bring up the heirachical menu and you can't bring
>up the control panel. If you go into an application it always works!

I had the same thing happen.  You can also select the control panel from
OnCue (with Multifinder 6.1b9, if you select "insert application
switching menu" it gives a list of DAs instead.)

>Problem seems to be related to MF 6.1b9 (I have a friend who has the same
>thing on a IIci under 6.0.5).

Multifinder 1.6b9 seems to be the culprit in my case as well - at least,
putting the old Multifinder back makes the problem go away.

>I am using the 'Spirit of '76 release (0.9x76?) which has dire warnings about
>being an intermediate release.

I have the latest (?) release, without dire warnings of it being an
intermediate release, and have the same problem.

>Anybody else see this and solved the problem.

No solution.  I just no longer use DA menuz.  I've discovered that I
mostly used it simply for the control panel menu.  And by using the
CDEVs nothing, unscrolly, and select CDEV (all freeware), I can open up
the control panel and have it sit on the side of the desk if I want.  Or
in any event, selecting the CDEV I want is fairly quick and painless.

--
Draphsor vo'drun-Aelf                  draphsor@portia.stanford.edu