[comp.sys.mac.misc] New Macintoshes and Apple's Satellite Announcment

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Fred Zeats IV) (10/16/90)

Well, I went down and watched Apple roll out its three new machines this
morning.  The SAT-Link was a little fuzzy, and there was a horrid squelch
noise that appeared and disappeared throughout.

Mac IIsi:  A 20MHZ 68030 expandable to 17 Megs.  It uses a new 1/3 height
	Hard Disk internally.  The SuperDrive is standard, of course.  The
	Machine has built in support for four of Apple's Monitors, including
	the Apple RGB High Resolution Monitor (640X480X256).  The unit is
	priced at $3,300 for the CPU box, a high res monitor, 2 Megs of
	RAM and a 40 Meg Hard Drive.  With an 80 Meg HD and 5 Megs of RAM
	the Price is $4,050.  Keyboard is extra.

Mac LC: Available January 91.  This machine is designed for one purpose and
	one purpose only.  Kill the Apple ][ line.  It is being targeted at
	schools (It can emulate an apple //e) and small businesses.  It has
	limited expandability and will cost about $3,000 (with monitor and
	keyboard and 40 Meg drive).  I hope it falls on its face.  The Apple
	//e emulation card is rumored to cost about $1000 extra.

Mac Classic: 8MHZ 68000 expandable to 4Megs of RAM.  This machine replaces
	the Mac SE and the Mac +.  It's two key differences are it is much
	cheaper ($949 for 1 Meg of RAM and 1 3.5 SuperDrive, $1494 for 2
	Meg of RAM and 40 Meg HD) and does not include an expansion slot.

Both the Mac IIsi and the Mac LC come with a new device, a microphone.  The
new system software (7.0 available in June of 1990) will allow sound input
to be treated as text or graphics are now, including cut and paste functions
and full transportability.

I also saw a demo version of Wor PErfect 2.0 (Macintosh of course)  It looks
a lot nicer than the version 1.0 and it didn't crash in five minutes of use
like version 1.0 did at Mac World a few years back (1988).

| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying, and|
|---------------------|dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.        |
|       If you don't get kissed good-night you get Kafka Dreams               |

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) (10/16/90)

In article <1990Oct16.063654.2744@isis.cs.du.edu> kreme@isis.UUCP (Fred Zeats IV) writes:
>Mac LC: Available January 91.  This machine is designed for one purpose and
>	one purpose only.  Kill the Apple ][ line.  It is being targeted at
>	schools (It can emulate an apple //e) and small businesses.  It has
>	limited expandability and will cost about $3,000 (with monitor and
>	keyboard and 40 Meg drive).  I hope it falls on its face.  The Apple
>	//e emulation card is rumored to cost about $1000 extra.

	Great, another "Apple II forever" fanatic.  <grin>.  Fred, do you
remember what the Apple II's contemporaries were?  The Atari 400/800,
the Commodore VIC-20 and Commodore 64, the Timex-Sinclair 1000, and the
Texas Instruments 99/4a.  All these machines, with the exception of the
C-64, are found primarily at garage sales these days - and remember that the
Apple II line was already at the IIe when the C-64 was released.
	The IIgs notwithstanding, let the Apple II line die, Fred.

	The Macintosh LC (2/40) has a SMRP of $2,499.  Expect educational
bundles to include the new 12" RGB monitor for around $2000.  (That's my
guess - no "sources" behind it).
	Oh, and by the way, Fred - The Apple IIe card will sell for $199.
Source is the Applelink announcement that was posted here.

	"Apple II forever."  <chuckle>

| Jim Gaynor - The Ohio State Univ. - IRCC - Facilities Mgmt. - OCES  <whew!> |
| Email [gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu], [gaynor@agvax2.ag.ohio-state.edu] |
|_  "Don't tell me truth hurts, little girl; because it hurts like hell..."  _|

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) (10/16/90)

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Fred Zeats IV) writes:
>Well, I went down and watched Apple roll out its three new machines this
>morning.  The SAT-Link was a little fuzzy, and there was a horrid squelch
>noise that appeared and disappeared throughout.

Must have been at your location.  We downlinked it here and got good
sound (but occasional fuzzies.)

>Mac LC: Available January 91.  This machine is designed for one purpose and
>	one purpose only.  Kill the Apple ][ line.  It is being targeted at
                       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, right.  :-)
>	schools (It can emulate an apple //e) and small businesses.  It has
>	limited expandability and will cost about $3,000 (with monitor and
>	keyboard and 40 Meg drive).  I hope it falls on its face.  The Apple
>	//e emulation card is rumored to cost about $1000 extra.

Suggested retail price on the IIe emulation board is $199.  Available
March 1991, according to the announcement.  Mac LC's suggested retail
price is $2499, (2Mb/40Mb hard disk) with the 12" color monitor being
$599 extra.  (12" monochrome is $299, although that defeats the idea of
a low cost color Mac.)  I'd expect substantial discounts for
educational institutions.

--Brian Bechtel                               blob@apple.com
  "It's no crime to be a blob!"  -- Morna J. Findlay, rec.sport.soccer

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (10/16/90)

In article <5735@nisca.ircc.ohio-state.edu> gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:
>	Oh, and by the way, Fred - The Apple IIe card will sell for $199.
>Source is the Applelink announcement that was posted here.

Does anyone know why only the LC can accept the IIe emulation
card?  Why can't a Mac II?? emulate the IIe?  For those who want
IIe emulation and have a Mac II?? or SE/30, it would be counter-
productive to buy an LC just to have that capability.

Ken
.............................................................________________.
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Anthony Jerome Stuckey) (10/16/90)

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>	The IIgs notwithstanding, let the Apple II line die, Fred.

At least somebody out there still realizes that a machine equal to an
8 Mhz AT is of some use.  If only Apple would.

Anthony J. Stuckey
Stuckey@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.063654.2744@isis.cs.du.edu> kreme@isis.UUCP (Fred Zeats IV) writes:
>Mac LC: Available January 91.  This machine is designed for one purpose and
>	one purpose only.  Kill the Apple ][ line.

  A worthy cause.

  Face it, it's really difficult to support a line of hardware which is
based on 1976 technology.  Really difficult.

  Judging from the way other large companies handle 10-year-old machines,
you should be grateful that Apple is providing IIe compatibility AT ALL.
Apple isn't going to stop supporting the machine entirely just because it's
no longer shipping.  You may not get any more system releases, but what do
you expect?

  The demise of the Apple II is long overdue.  If you want that kind of
machine, get a Commodore 64.  I hear they run about $200 these days...

-- Mark Wilkins
--
*******     "Freedom is a road seldom traveled by the multitude!"    **********
*  Mark R. Wilkins   wilkins@jarthur.claremont.edu   {uunet}!jarthur!wilkins  *

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.063654.2744@isis.cs.du.edu> kreme@isis.UUCP (Fred Zeats IV) writes:
>Well, I went down and watched Apple roll out its three new machines this
>morning.  The SAT-Link was a little fuzzy, and there was a horrid squelch
>noise that appeared and disappeared throughout.

Dear Fred -
  I sat through a satellite downlink, through a repeater here in Cupertino, and
though things were a little fuzzy at times, there was no horrid squelch.  I
think that might have been a problem with your downlink.

>Mac IIsi:  A 20MHZ 68030 expandable to 17 Megs.  It uses a new 1/3 height
>	Hard Disk internally.  The SuperDrive is standard, of course.  The
>	Machine has built in support for four of Apple's Monitors, including
>	the Apple RGB High Resolution Monitor (640X480X256).  The unit is
>	priced at $3,300 for the CPU box, a high res monitor, 2 Megs of
>	RAM and a 40 Meg Hard Drive.  With an 80 Meg HD and 5 Megs of RAM
>	the Price is $4,050.  Keyboard is extra.
>
>Mac LC: Available January 91.  This machine is designed for one purpose and
>	one purpose only.  Kill the Apple ][ line.  It is being targeted at
>	schools (It can emulate an apple //e) and small businesses.  It has
>	limited expandability and will cost about $3,000 (with monitor and
>	keyboard and 40 Meg drive).  I hope it falls on its face.  The Apple
>	//e emulation card is rumored to cost about $1000 extra.
  Actually, the Macintosh LC is available in limited quanity now, and will be
available in volume in late January.  It is 2,400 SRP (that is suggested
retail price, your street price may vary) for the Macintosh LC with 2MB of
memory, 40MB of hard drive, and a keyboard.  You can go with a mono monitor
for $299 SRP or a color monitor for $599 SRP.  The Apple //e card is $198, so
I don't know where you came up with the $1000 figure.
  Given that the Macintosh LC is a very nice machine that delievers color at
the lowest price ever for a Macintosh, I really hope that it does not fall on
its face.

>Mac Classic: 8MHZ 68000 expandable to 4Megs of RAM.  This machine replaces
>	the Mac SE and the Mac +.  It's two key differences are it is much
>	cheaper ($949 for 1 Meg of RAM and 1 3.5 SuperDrive, $1494 for 2
>	Meg of RAM and 40 Meg HD) and does not include an expansion slot.
>
>Both the Mac IIsi and the Mac LC come with a new device, a microphone.  The
>new system software (7.0 available in June of 1990) will allow sound input
>to be treated as text or graphics are now, including cut and paste functions
>and full transportability.
>
>I also saw a demo version of Wor PErfect 2.0 (Macintosh of course)  It looks
>a lot nicer than the version 1.0 and it didn't crash in five minutes of use
>like version 1.0 did at Mac World a few years back (1988).
>
>--
>| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying, and|
>|---------------------|dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.        |
>|       If you don't get kissed good-night you get Kafka Dreams               |

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET

francis@daisy.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) (10/17/90)

In article <9146@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>  Judging from the way other large companies handle 10-year-old machines,
>you should be grateful that Apple is providing IIe compatibility AT ALL.
>Apple isn't going to stop supporting the machine entirely just because it's
>no longer shipping.  You may not get any more system releases, but what do
>you expect?

Don't be so sure.  Look what happened to the original Macs.  Apple
cut them off a couple of years ago; they no longer take ANY responsibility
for anything earlier than the Plus.

How long will it be before the same happens to the Plus, SE, II, IIx, IIcx?

(I was really shocked that the x and cx were killed off.  Some people are
going to need more than one slot, but won't want to pay ci & fx prices.)

| Francis Stracke		| My opinions are my own.  I don't steal them.|
| Department of Mathematics	|=============================================|
| University of Chicago		| A mathematician is a professional	      |
| francis@zaphod.uchicago.edu	|   schizophrenic.--Me.		       	      |

brendan@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Brendan Mahony) (10/17/90)

blob@Apple.COM (Brian Bechtel) writes:
>Suggested retail price on the IIe emulation board is $199.  Available
>March 1991, according to the announcement.  Mac LC's suggested retail
>price is $2499, (2Mb/40Mb hard disk) with the 12" color monitor being
>$599 extra.  (12" monochrome is $299, although that defeats the idea of
>a low cost color Mac.)  I'd expect substantial discounts for
>educational institutions.

Also you are forgetting that there will be a 2 floppy "education"
edition of the LC. In Australia this is to sell for about the same price as
the Classic 2/40 (~AUS$2,700) so I expect that would also be true in the
US. With discounts that might put the ][e compatible LC with colour screen
at around the $1500 range. Guess we'll have to wait and
see how things pan out.

--
Brendan Mahony                   | brendan@batserver.cs.uq.oz
Department of Computer Science   | heretic: someone who disgrees with you

rmtodd@servalan.uucp (Richard Todd) (10/17/90)

gaynor@hpuxa.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Jim Gaynor) writes:

>	Great, another "Apple II forever" fanatic.  <grin>.  Fred, do you
>remember what the Apple II's contemporaries were?  The Atari 400/800,
>the Commodore VIC-20 and Commodore 64, the Timex-Sinclair 1000, and the
>Texas Instruments 99/4a.  All these machines, with the exception of the
>C-64, are found primarily at garage sales these days - and remember that the
>Apple II line was already at the IIe when the C-64 was released.

  Heh.  Evidently you're a latecomer to microcomputing, or you would have
noted what the real contemporaries of the Apple II were when it was introduced
in 1977.  In low-end computers we had the TRS-80 Model I from Radio Shack and
the Commodore PET.  Those with somewhat larger budgets had S-100 based systems
like IMSAI, et al.  TI-99/4as, Sinclair ZX80s (let alone TS1000s) were still
in the future; I don't think even the Atari was out then.

  So what happened to these contemporaries?  The Model I bit the dust circa
1981 (when the FCC started to get persnickety about RF emitted by
computers), and I don't think the PET lasted much beyond that, either.  You
can't even find them at garage sales these days.  The Apple II line has
been out there for *13 YEARS*, folks.  It wasn't too bad a machine for
1977, but this is 1990, and it's high time to pull the plug on all the
Apple II machines, except possibly the IIgs.  It's a miracle they've lasted
this long.

  As for the people whining about how Apple might not be supporting machine
x in a couple of years, as Remo Williams says, "That's the biz,
sweetheart."  Technology is moving so fast that today's marvel is
tomorrow's orphan.  I've got a TRS-80 Model I and a PC/XT clone, and have
seen them both slide into the realm of obsolescence and non-support.  (Some
might argue that the Shack never did *support* the Model I, but that's
another matter :-).  When I bought my Mac IIx, I had no illusions about its
fate being in any way different.
--
Richard Todd	rmtodd@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd@chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd@servalan.uucp

umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) (10/17/90)

In article <1990Oct16.221154.20681@midway.uchicago.edu> francis@daisy.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:
>In article <9146@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>>Apple isn't going to stop supporting the machine entirely just because it's
>>no longer shipping.  You may not get any more system releases, but what do
>>you expect?
>
>Don't be so sure.  Look what happened to the original Macs.  Apple
>cut them off a couple of years ago; they no longer take ANY responsibility
>for anything earlier than the Plus.
>
>How long will it be before the same happens to the Plus, SE, II, IIx, IIcx?

I don't think you have to worry too much about II, IIx and IIcx.  The first
Macs were pretty well dead end-machines.  No slots, no fast i/o, no ram
upgradability, etc.  Atleast with the IIx and IIcx you can bring them up
to 32meg of ram, I think the II can go to 32meg as well.   Plus there slots,
SCIS i/o, etc.  A lot more expandability and therefore a lot more useful
into the feature.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a thing the CI or FX,
barring speed, can do, that the II <w/pmmu> IIx and IIcx can't.

I wish Apple would do something like bring back the IIx board and offer
Mac II users a CHEAP upgrade to the IIx.  This would be a lot nicer than
having to buy PMMUs, and FDHD rom kits.

>(I was really shocked that the x and cx were killed off.  Some people are
>going to need more than one slot, but won't want to pay ci & fx prices.)

I agree.  After I read the specs on the new machines, I said to myself
'Thanks Apple, for raising <or atleast maintaining> the value of my Mac II'
I would say my old Mac II is worth the same, if not slightly more than
the LC...I've got an FPU, PMMU socket, and 6 slots.  I can easily stick
on a Mac Recorder and an 8 bit video board.  The LC has no PMMU socket,
and I think no FPU socket or any slots at all.

Charles

wirehead@oxy.edu (David J. Harr) (10/17/90)

It is interesting to me that everyone seems so upset that the Macintosh line
is moving forward. I bought a Mac II in Oct 87, and it has served me well
ever since. The total cost for my system at the time was $4000 (ed. pricing)
It was a bare bones, dual floppy system, but it had 8-bit color. Over the
years, I have added a PMMU, a cache card (now has 0 wait state on the memory
so it is slightly faster than a IIx/IIcx) more memory, a couple of hard
drives... This is a great system. It is totlally stable, every piece of
software written for the Mac runs beautifully on it, and it is plenty of
machine for what I need. I wouldn't trade this setup for a IIsi. I would be
getting myself in for compatibility headaches out the wazoo, all for the
privilege of a modest increase of < 20% in speed. Now, if someone offered me
a IIfx, that would be another story. But as it is now, I don't think that
the IIsi or the LC are anything to make a II, IIx, or IIcx owner look at and
drool in envy. I reserve that for for a NeXTstation :-).

David

The preceding has been another fine product of the warped mind of

		       wirehead@oxy.edu

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct16.063654.2744@isis.cs.du.edu>, kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Fred Zeats IV) writes:
> Well, I went down and watched Apple roll out its three new machines this
> morning.  The SAT-Link was a little fuzzy, and there was a horrid squelch
> noise that appeared and disappeared throughout.

That might explain some of the comments that followed...

> Mac LC: Available January 91.  This machine is designed for one purpose and
> 	one purpose only.  Kill the Apple ][ line.

Finally.  The Apple // machines have been moribund for quite a while now,
only they don't know it yet.

>	It is being targeted at
> 	schools (It can emulate an apple //e) and small businesses.  It has
> 	limited expandability and will cost about $3,000 (with monitor and
> 	keyboard and 40 Meg drive).  I hope it falls on its face.

Why, so the Apple// can have some company?  It's time for the old 6502 (and
65SC816) machines to retire to a well-deserved rest.

>	The Apple //e emulation card is rumored to cost about $1000 extra.

That's $199 list, available by next March or so.  (The squelch noise must
have been pretty bad!)

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes

fiddler@concertina.Eng.Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct16.221154.20681@midway.uchicago.edu>, francis@daisy.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

> Don't be so sure.  Look what happened to the original Macs.  Apple
> cut them off a couple of years ago; they no longer take ANY responsibility
> for anything earlier than the Plus.
>
> How long will it be before the same happens to the Plus, SE, II, IIx, IIcx?

How long did Ford provide direct support for the Model A?  They're *all*
eventually going to be cut off from support.  Learn to live with it.

Look at it this way, there will be opportunities for third-parties to
support the machines that have fallen off the apple cart, as it were.

> (I was really shocked that the x and cx were killed off.  Some people are
> going to need more than one slot, but won't want to pay ci & fx prices.)

They don't have to, since the ci is now costing roughly what a cx did.

The cx was toast when the si showed up, costing more with lower performance.

On the other hand, all the older machines didn't stop working as soon as a
newer one was announced (contrary to the apparent opinion of some in this`
group).  If they do the job, why complain.  (And look forward to some
interesting upgrades, like to '040's, in the future.)

--
------------
  The only drawback with morning is that it comes
    at such an inconvenient time of day.
------------

In article <1990Oct16.221154.20681@midway.uchicago.edu> francis@daisy.uchicago.edu (Francis Stracke) writes:

>How long will it be before the same happens to the Plus, SE, II, IIx, IIcx?
>
>(I was really shocked that the x and cx were killed off.  Some people are
>going to need more than one slot, but won't want to pay ci & fx prices.)

I'm surprised about the 'x' myself, but the 'ci' was recently reduced to
within a hairsbreadth of 'cx' prices, so I don't see where anyone has any basis
to complain about that.

In article <1990Oct17.035703.19634@ccu.umanitoba.ca> umcarls9@ccu.umanitoba.ca (Charles Carlson) writes:

>I don't think you have to worry too much about II, IIx and IIcx.  The first
>Macs were pretty well dead end-machines.  No slots, no fast i/o, no ram
>upgradability, etc.  Atleast with the IIx and IIcx you can bring them up
>to 32meg of ram, I think the II can go to 32meg as well.   Plus there slots,
>SCIS i/o, etc.  A lot more expandability and therefore a lot more useful
>into the feature.

An un-upgraded II cannot be brought up past 8MB of RAM.  A IIx or FDHD II
can, with special SIMMS made to disable the 4MB test mode.  Of course, both
can be brought up to a IIFX, given a motherboard swap.

>Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's a thing the CI or FX,
>barring speed, can do, that the II <w/pmmu> IIx and IIcx can't.
>
>I wish Apple would do something like bring back the IIx board and offer
>Mac II users a CHEAP upgrade to the IIx.  This would be a lot nicer than
>having to buy PMMUs, and FDHD rom kits.

Yeah... Hmm, considering that the IIx and later IIs used the same circuit
board, I wonder if there is a way to modify the II circuit board to accept
a 68030...

bparsia@eagle.wesleyan.edu (10/18/90)

In article <1990Oct16.063654.2744@isis.cs.du.edu>, kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Fred Zeats IV) writes:
> Well, I went down and watched Apple roll out its three new machines this
> morning.  The SAT-Link was a little fuzzy, and there was a horrid squelch
> noise that appeared and disappeared throughout.

[info on the si]

> Mac LC: Available January 91.  This machine is designed for one purpose and
> 	one purpose only.  Kill the Apple ][ line.  It is being targeted at
> 	schools (It can emulate an apple //e) and small businesses.  It has
> 	limited expandability and will cost about $3,000 (with monitor and
> 	keyboard and 40 Meg drive).  I hope it falls on its face.  The Apple
> 	//e emulation card is rumored to cost about $1000 extra.

The //e card has a recommended list of $199 (or thereabouts). I think your
price on the LC is also high (I don't have the figures before me)/

[info on classic]

> | kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying, and|
> |---------------------|dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.        |
> |       If you don't get kissed good-night you get Kafka Dreams               |

I just want to point out that the LC is *really* cute and that I hope it
sells wildly. I disagree that it is designed to "kill the Apple ][ line". If
anything, the classic would be the machine to accuse (street price of $749 for
a one floppy model vs. a street price of ~$650 for a ][gs--okay, maybe it's a
gs killer.)

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (10/19/90)

Dear Folks -
  The Macintosh IIx has not been killed off.  It is still out there as part of
the product lineup.

--

In article <45780@apple.Apple.COM> jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) writes:
>Dear Folks -
>  The Macintosh IIx has not been killed off.  It is still out there as part of
>the product lineup.

Why has it disappeared from the Consortium price lists, then?
Does this mean it's free? If so, I'd like 10 please :-)

ostroff@Oswego.EDU (Boyd Ostroff) (10/20/90)

In article <45780@apple.Apple.COM> jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) writes:
>Dear Folks -
>  The Macintosh IIx has not been killed off.  It is still out there as part of
>the product lineup.

I have here in hand a new Mac brochure entitled "No matter which one you
choose, a Macintosh is a Macintosh is a Macintosh".  Inside it says:
"Pictured below is the complete Macintosh family of computers....".  The
picture shows (from left to right):

 Macintosh Classic
 Macintosh SE/30
 Macintosh Portable
 Macintosh LC
 Macintosh IIsi
 Macintosh IIci
 Macintosh IIfx

As a IIcx owner, I certainly agree that my system is far from "obsolete",
but it certainly doesn't seem to be part of the current "product lineup".

 ==    Boyd Ostroff, Tech Director   ==     Sys Admin, "The CallBoard"      ==
||||  Dept of Theatre, SUNY Oswego  ||||   Serving the Performing Arts     ||||
||||        (315) 341-2987          ||||  315-947-6414 1200/2400 baud 8N1  ||||
 ==     ostroff@oswego.oswego.edu    ==   cboard!sysop@oswego.oswego.edu    ==

wilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (10/20/90)

  By the way, how long has it been since anyone's seen the row of little
colored mini-screen-images at the top of their Mac II monitor?

  :-)

-- Mark Wilkins
--

macman@wpi.WPI.EDU (Chris Silverberg) (10/30/90)

In an article Francis Stracke writes:

>Don't be so sure.  Look what happened to the original Macs.  Apple
>cut them off a couple of years ago; they no longer take ANY responsibility
>for anything earlier than the Plus.

So you think that Apple should be supporting the 512ks then is that it? What
better ways to slow down progress. Fact is, early Macs can be upgraded to
a Plus to not entirely too much money. There are numerous third party upgrades
to choose from.

>How long will it be before the same happens to the Plus, SE, II, IIx, IIcx?
>(I was really shocked that the x and cx were killed off.  Some people are
>going to need more than one slot, but won't want to pay ci & fx prices.)

Oh, three years? It's already a good idea to upgrade a Plus or SE to an
SE/30 if possible. A Plus or an SE can be upgraded to a slow 030 machine
for around $500. Prices will come down as time goes on too.

The IIx is still around. But it's life is limited nevertheless. As for the
price of the IIci, that has dropped in price to levels close to the IIcx
(considering the built in video card).  Thrid party expansion cases are
available for the mid-level Macs for people who want multislots.

I'm sure just a little market research will show that most people who
are putting multiple cards in their Macs also can afford the IIci and IIfx.

- Chris

   Chris Silverberg                     INTERNET: macman@wpi.wpi.edu
   Worcester Polytechnic Institute      Main Street USA  508-832-7725 (sysop)
   America Online: Silverberg           WMUG BBS  508-832-5844 (sysop)
    "Ask me about TeleFinder... A Macintosh BBS with a Macintosh interface"