[comp.sys.mac.misc] A few questions

ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr b.c. adamson) (10/25/90)

I just installed system 6.0.7 (thanks to apple's ftp site - would you
believe that the last time I got a system software upgrade from a dealer
it came complete with complimentary WDEF virus) and I have a few questions:

1) Why have apple decided to make the colored apple at the top of my
apple menu bigger? It's only one pixel bigger in each direction, but
it looks UGLY (in my opinion anyway). Looks like I'll have ResEdit out
tonight to get the old icon from system 6.0.5.

2) I was looking through some of the installer resources the other week
and I noticed a dialog that displays a credit message about the authors
saying things like "Totally righteous dude" and asking which of 5
"wait" cursors I want to use. The cursor resources are there too, but I
couldn't find a way to bring up the dialog. Has anyone out there managed
to do this? (This was on the 6.0.5 installer, it may have been removed
by 6.0.7

3) (On a slightly more serious note) Why don't apple make more extensive
use of the Edit menu in the finder? What I'm specifically referring
to is the ability to undo things like moving files and deleting. Sure,
You can undo a deletion by dragging from the trash, but shouldn't the
Undo command (or cmd-Z) do this too? On this topic, couldn't the Cut,
Copy and Paste commands work on files, rather than just file names?
Sure, the clipboard couldn't hold the whole file, but it COULD hold a
symbolic representation of the file (which would, in the case of Cut
be placed in a temporary folder - perhaps the Trash folder in system 7).

Just my two bits worth.

Boyd Adamson
ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au
ins145s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au

jgs@merit.edu (John Scudder) (10/25/90)

In article <5516@monu1.cc.monash.oz> ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c. adamson) writes:
[...stuff deleted...]
>2) I was looking through some of the installer resources the other week
>and I noticed a dialog that displays a credit message about the authors
>saying things like "Totally righteous dude" and asking which of 5
>"wait" cursors I want to use. The cursor resources are there too, but I
>couldn't find a way to bring up the dialog. Has anyone out there managed
>to do this? (This was on the 6.0.5 installer, it may have been removed
>by 6.0.7
[...stuff deleted...]
>Boyd Adamson
>ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au
>ins145s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au

Here's how to get the dialog:  type "ski" at the installer's opening
screen.

(One of the guys who wrote the installer is a skiing fiend.)

--John Scudder
  jgs@merit.edu

[Please honor followup line]
In article <5516@monu1.cc.monash.oz> ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr  b.c. adamson) writes:
>I just installed system 6.0.7 (thanks to apple's ftp site - would you
>believe that the last time I got a system software upgrade from a dealer
>it came complete with complimentary WDEF virus) and I have a few questions:
>
>1) Why have apple decided to make the colored apple at the top of my
>apple menu bigger? It's only one pixel bigger in each direction, but
>it looks UGLY (in my opinion anyway). Looks like I'll have ResEdit out
>tonight to get the old icon from system 6.0.5.

Yep, I did that.

>2) I was looking through some of the installer resources the other week
>and I noticed a dialog that displays a credit message about the authors
>saying things like "Totally righteous dude" and asking which of 5
>"wait" cursors I want to use. The cursor resources are there too, but I
>couldn't find a way to bring up the dialog. Has anyone out there managed
>to do this? (This was on the 6.0.5 installer, it may have been removed
>by 6.0.7

It's still there-- 'ski' at the main screen, like 6.0.5 and the 7.0 alpha.
BTW, did you notice the comment about running out of memory in the DiskCopy
Documentation:  If this message appears, you do not have enough memory to
duplicate even a single 400K disk.  You are probably running under Multifinder
with a wimpy partition, or on a Mac less than a Plus.  In either case, you
should be shot.

>3) (On a slightly more serious note) Why don't apple make more extensive
>use of the Edit menu in the finder? What I'm specifically referring
>to is the ability to undo things like moving files and deleting. Sure,
>You can undo a deletion by dragging from the trash, but shouldn't the
>Undo command (or cmd-Z) do this too? On this topic, couldn't the Cut,
>Copy and Paste commands work on files, rather than just file names?
>Sure, the clipboard couldn't hold the whole file, but it COULD hold a
>symbolic representation of the file (which would, in the case of Cut
>be placed in a temporary folder - perhaps the Trash folder in system 7).

YEAH!

bh11+@andrew.cmu.edu (Braddock John Hathaway) (10/30/90)

I have HP's promo material on their PostScript cartridge right here,
and it claims to have the standard 35 fonts.  I don't know who's
wrong here.

--Brad