[comp.sys.mac.misc] An INIT Chooser

hallett@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (10/03/90)

Hi folks.

I've just encountered a weird problem.  I've been using INITCdev to
let me choose my INIT's and so on.  However, I just installed SAM 2.0
and found out that if I use INITCdev to shut it off temporarily, SAM
claims that it has been altered (which is true) and refuses to load.
I am forced to load a new copy.

Therefore, I as the question: does anyone know of a similar item that
does not alter the INIT to prevent it from loading?  Buying software
doesn't bother me.

Thanks in advance.

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201

cs225bx@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/04/90)

>Therefore, I as the question: does anyone know of a similar item that
>does not alter the INIT to prevent it from loading?  Buying software
>doesn't bother me.

There is a program called "InitPicker" and it's latest version is 2.0.
It is put out by Microseeds Publishing:

Address: 7030 B West Hillsbourough Ave; Tampa, Florida  33634
Ph: (813) 882-8635

It has many nice features -> can have multiple sets of INITS running, a
Bombguard (makes sure INIT conflicts don't occur).

Alan Levy
cs225bx@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au (mr b.c. adamson) (10/05/90)

In comp.sys.mac article <HALLETT.90Oct3084613@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com> hallettJ@gemed writes:

>Therefore, I as the question: does anyone know of a similar item that
>does not alter the INIT to prevent it from loading?  Buying software
>doesn't bother me.

Along the same lines is there any INIT chooser that allows multiple
sets of INITs to be activated and deactivated? For example I like
to run SunDesk and DeskPict, but they both take HUGE amouts out of
my 2 Meg, so I'd like to be able to define a set of INITs called
"Small memory" that doesn't have them in it and another one (called
"Extravagance" or something) that includes all of the memory hogs.
Along the same lines, I'd like to be able to have a "programming" set
that activates only the "essential" inits that I just can't live
without and also the programming type ones such as Spy. Is there
any INIT chooser that allows me to do this?

I realise thast INITCdev has a "Minimum" set and the ability to
make temporary changes, but I'd like to ba able to automate these
a little more.

In addition (possibly a separate solution) is there a way to disable
MacsBug (by renaming it to MaxBug, for example) with an INIT so that
it is not activated NEXT time I restart? Sure I can (and do) do this
manually, but being the lazy (and impatient) person that I am, I don't
want to have to wait through the delay of opening my system folder
and scrolling down the list of names to M (that seems to take forever
to come up)

Please e-mail and I'll summarise if there's enough response.

Boyd Adamson                   | My inferiority complex isn't as good
ins145s@monu4.cc.monash.edu.au | as yours!
ins145s@monu3.cc.monash.edu.au |

bkuo@nunki.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) (10/08/90)

The way ALL of the INIT picking programs I've tried (init cdev, INITPicker,
etc.) is either a) changing the filetype or b) altering the "No INIT"
resource bit (mess with ResEdit). I'm sure SAM takes that all into account,
so  basically: there is no way, unless someone's thought of some
ingenious way to patch into the system and selectively launch files (a
beastly task, at best). You may want to try an init manager which can say,
move the INITs in and out of a folder instead of altering the resources.

Benjamin Kuo

cs225bx@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (10/09/90)

>Basically ALL of the INIT picking programs I've tried (init cdev, INITPicker,
>etc.) is either a) changing the filetype or b) altering the "No INIT"
>resource bit (mess with ResEdit). I'm sure SAM takes that all into account,
>so  basically: there is no way, unless someone's thought of some
>ingenious way to patch into the system and selectively launch files (a
>beastly task, at best). You may want to try an init manager which can say,
>move the INITs in and out of a folder instead of altering the resources.

I use INITpicker and SAM never goes off at all.  INITpicker allows you
ON STARTUP to selectively choose which INITS you wish to run.  You can also
choose which INITS to run at anytime by accessing its cdev, and when you change
an INIT's "selection  to run or not to run" SAM NEVER INTERCEPTS that.

ALan Levy
cs225bx@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu

Adam.Frix@p2.f200.n226.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Adam Frix) (10/10/90)

mr  b.c. adamson writes in a message on 05 Oct 90:

M B>  Along the same lines is there any INIT chooser that allows multiple
M B>  sets of INITs to be activated and deactivated? For example I
M B>  like  to run SunDesk and DeskPict, but they both take HUGE amouts
M B>  out of  my 2 Meg, so I'd like to be able to define a set of
M B>  INITs called  "Small memory" that doesn't have them in it and
M B>  another one (called "Extravagance" or something) that includes
M B>  all of the memory hogs. Along the same lines, I'd like to be
M B>  able to have a "programming" set that activates only the "essential"
M B>  inits that I just can't live  without and also the programming
M B>  type ones such as Spy. Is there  any INIT chooser that allows
M B>  me to do this?
M B>  I realise thast INITCdev has a "Minimum" set and the ability
M B>  to make temporary changes, but I'd like to ba able to automate
M B>  these a little more....

You need INITPicker from Microseeds Publishing in Tampa, FL.  Call Robin, tell
her I sent you.

--Adam--

--
Adam Frix via cmhGate - Net 226 fido<=>uucp gateway Col, OH
UUCP: ...!osu-cis!n8emr!cmhgate!200.2!Adam.Frix

hallett@enterprise.positron.gemed.ge.com (Jeff Hallett x5163 ) (10/17/90)

In article <12385@chaph.usc.edu> bkuo@nunki.usc.edu (Benjamin Kuo) writes:
=>
=> The way ALL of the INIT picking programs I've tried (init cdev, INITPicker,
=> etc.) is either a) changing the filetype or b) altering the "No INIT"
=> resource bit (mess with ResEdit). I'm sure SAM takes that all into account,

Well, whatever INITPicker does, SAM doesn't recognize it.  I bought
INITPicker and deliberatly changed SAM to not load, restarted (it
didn't load) and then set it to load and it did without complaint.
Yay for INITPicker!

--
	     Jeffrey A. Hallett, PET Software Engineering
      GE Medical Systems, W641, PO Box 414, Milwaukee, WI  53201
	    (414) 548-5163 : EMAIL -  hallettJ@gemed.ge.com
     "You mean there wasn't! Look! A chicken!  A black chicken!"

mididoc@peg.UUCP (10/26/90)

About INIT choosers ...

Yes, John R.'s initcdev 3.0 is good, but one I've seen which will stop this
problem is INIT Picker, a MicroSeeds product.  Version 1.0 has been out for
some time, and 2.0 (which also sports init conflicts!!) is not too far
away.

INIT Picker works by _not_ modifying the file(s) in question (a la Aask and
Initcdev) but will load _selected_ INITs which load after itself by doing
direct calls rather than scanning the system folder.  The other side effect
is that using this speeds up y our boot time dramatically.

Geoff Peters
APC:   peg:mididoc
I'net: mididoc@peg.pegasus.oz.au

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/30/90)

In article <252400002@peg> mididoc@peg.UUCP writes:
>Yes, John R.'s initcdev 3.0 is good, but one I've seen which will stop this
>problem is INIT Picker, a MicroSeeds product.  Version 1.0 has been out for
>some time, and 2.0 (which also sports init conflicts!!) is not too far
>away.

Doesn't sound like much of a sales point to me....

Now, maybe if it _spots_ INIT conflicts, that'd be something...

:)  [I know, I know, I know...]

chaz

--
Prince and Linda Ronstadt Secretly Wed in San Rafael, It's Official.
 -- National Enquirer Photo Exclusive.