[comp.sys.mac.misc] Networkable FAX modems and software info needed...

moyman@ecn.purdue.edu (James M Moya) (11/01/90)

I asked the following a ways back and didn't get much response so here it goes
again.  I would appreciate *any* information on Networkable FAX modems and
associated software.  By "networkable" I mean I want to set it up in one
place (zone) and let everyone on the network be able to send and recieve
using the one FAXmodem.  Please let me know of your set-ups, hang-ups, etc..
whether you use it along with MS Mail or QuickMail, etc...Thankin'
--moya

Mike Moya
Macintosh Systems and Networking
Engineering Computer Network
Purdue University

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (11/01/90)

moyman@ecn.purdue.edu (James M Moya) writes:
>I would appreciate *any* information on Networkable FAX modems and
>associated software.  By "networkable" I mean I want to set it up in one
>place (zone) and let everyone on the network be able to send and recieve
>using the one FAXmodem.  Please let me know of your set-ups, hang-ups, etc..
>whether you use it along with MS Mail or QuickMail, etc...Thankin'

Solutions International has a product called FaxGate that's installed on a
QuickMail or MS Mail server.  Users send images via a chooser-level device
that comes with a software package called MailMaker (essentially a network
SuperGlue without GlueNotes capability).  I am successfully using MailMaker
to send images from my 4MB machine to users' 1MB machines, but my attempts
to send from a 1MB machine were not successful; also, my company's MIS
department has tested FaxGate and reports a lot of crashing.  Even if the
system were to work perfectly, it would still be rather expensive (a separate
MailMaker license would be required for each user).

A better solution is Prometheus Products' ProModem 9600M.  It's a fully-Group
III-compatible fax modem and a V.32 9600/19200bps data modem in one box
(I *think* Prometheus also offers a cheaper version without the data modem).
THe list price is $1000 although you could get it for around $670 from a
mail-order place.  It comes with MacFax, a chooser-level device that
enables everyone within the same zone (I think it doesn't go across zones)
to send faxes, although the physical modem has to be plugged into someone's
serial port.  The chooser device looks to software like a printer driver,
and generates a "busy" signal when the modem is actually transmitting.  The
unit includes a disk spooler.  The ProModem produces very sharp, properly-
dithered output, especially when used with Adobe Type Manager, the included
outline fonts or System 7's TrueType fonts.

Finally, it should be possible to network any fax modem within an AppleTalk
zone by using La Cie's SilverPlatter serial-peripheral-sharing utility.  It
costs $99 and also uses a chooser device.

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)