[comp.sys.mac.misc] New keyboard impressions

ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (10/24/90)

Speaking as a heavy user of the old ADB Standard Keyboard (Function keys?
Who needs function keys...?), here are

* Things I don't like about the new keyboard:

The swapping of caps lock and control, so now you have a tiny control
key and a large caps lock key. Control I use far more heavily
(I log onto a VAX a lot). I hardly ever use caps lock. In fact, I
don't think Mac keyboards should have caps lock (it's a mode, after
all...).

* Things I can't see the reason for:

The extra-wide backslash key at the upper right. I don't think this
is bad, it just looks odd.

Banishing the on button to a remote area at the back. Were too many
people switching their machines on by accident?

* Things I like about the new keyboard:

The slightly wider space bar, created by relocating one key and
widening the whole layout. I like the fact that the actual width
of the keyboard case is the same as it was before.

The new feel--I think this is very nice. It's stiffer at the top
of the key travel, but softer when you hit the bottom. This should
mean that you can type a lot faster with the same amount of pain...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
To someone with a hammer and a screwdriver, every problem looks
like a nail with threads.

mdc@spt.entity.com (Marty Connor) (10/27/90)

In article <2066.2725e075@waikato.ac.nz> ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:

>The swapping of caps lock and control, so now you have a tiny control
>key and a large caps lock key. Control I use far more heavily
>(I log onto a VAX a lot). I hardly ever use caps lock. In fact, I
>don't think Mac keyboards should have caps lock (it's a mode, after
>all...).

I am also a fan of the Non-International-Standards-Org keyboard setup
of the old non-extended keyboard.

Perhaps someone intimate with how keyboard input is handled can
describe decoding of the keycodes and resources related to these?
I suppose if the new keyboard has the kind of caps-lock that stays
down, even more work will have to be done.

Question:
Does anyone know of a piece of software that will allow one to switch
the meanings of Caps-Lock and Control?  If so, does it go as far as
dealing with the LEDs on the tops of the keyboard.

Another question:  In the dim past someone described on comp.sys.mac
how to alter (physically) the Mac-Plus keyboard to put the Clover key
next to the A key.  Anyone have that snipet?

--
Marty Connor, Marty's Computer Workshop,  "Specializing in Macintosh Training"
126 Inman Street, Cambridge, MA 02139; (617) 491-6935

In article <8304@spt.entity.com> mdc@spt.UUCP (Marty Connor) writes:

>Question:
>Does anyone know of a piece of software that will allow one to switch
>the meanings of Caps-Lock and Control?  If so, does it go as far as
>dealing with the LEDs on the tops of the keyboard?

Resedit 2.0-- mess with the KCHR resources in the system.  I don't know if
it will fix the LEDs
Tax the rich, and feed the poor -- until there are, rich no more.

jojo@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jo van Bilsen) (10/31/90)

> * Things I don't like about the new keyboard:

> The swapping of caps lock and control, so now you have a tiny control
> key and a large caps lock key. Control I use far more heavily
> (I log onto a VAX a lot). I hardly ever use caps lock. In fact, I
> don't think Mac keyboards should have caps lock (it's a mode, after
> all...).

Get the new version of Resedit or something like 1.3

Go to the KCHR resource in keyboard or key caps start editting
and define the caps lock the same as the CTRL key and you
have a big CTRL key

---
Jo van Bilsen

My tel. no. 030-531731/531436 (Holland)
Mailadress : jojo@cc.ruu.nl

Debugging involves rules, logic, hunches, intuition, source listings, experience
tedium, and many caffeine-enriched beverages.
                                (How to write Macintosh Software, Scott Knaster)

rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) (10/31/90)

While looking for goodies on many FTP sites, I see .Z files galore.  But how
does one get and use these files.  I'm a basic Stuffit user.  How about
one of you plunderers explaining (I'm sure for the nth time) how the various
compacting programs do their thing.

Thanks from all interested.

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (10/31/90)

The .Z extension belongs to compress, the unix standard file compression
program.  You can uncompress these files with MacCompress, available
from the usual sources (e.g. info-mac).

I hope that when you wanted to know "how the various compacting programs
do their thing" that you weren't asking for technical details.  They're
a little bit complicated.

-Vince

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct31.034726.29028@cbnewsc.att.com> straka@cbnewsc.att.com (richard.j.straka) writes:
>In article <11269@hubcap.clemson.edu>, rbrink@hubcap.clemson.edu (Rick Brink) writes:
>> While looking for goodies on many FTP sites, I see .Z files galore.  But how
>> does one get and use these files.  I'm a basic Stuffit user.  How about
>
>These are compressed UNIX(R) files, (probably, but not necessarily flat ASCII
>text), that are uncompressed on UNIX via "uncompress", or on the Mac side
>with MacCompress.

WHERE IS THIS "MAC COMPRESS" PROGRAM?!??!  I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR SOMETHING
LIKE THIS FOR !!DECADES!!  Is it available via anon FTP somewhere, or is
there some kind soul out there willing to email it to me? (Binhexed and
Stuffed, if possible)?  My email address is c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu
thanks in advance

Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."

mdc@spt.entity.com (Marty Connor) (11/01/90)

>> * Things I don't like about the new keyboard:
>> The swapping of caps lock and control, so now you have a tiny control
>> key and a large caps lock key. Control I use far more heavily
>> (I log onto a VAX a lot). I hardly ever use caps lock. In fact, I
>> don't think Mac keyboards should have caps lock (it's a mode, after
>> all...).

I also object to the location of the CONTROL key being hard to
re-configure on the Mac.

In the IBM & Compatible world many people don't like it as well, so
companies like NorthGate and Keytronics make money selling a
"professional keyboard" with extra keytops so people can switch them.

It appears Northgate is not going to release a Mac version of its
keyboard for the IBMs.  This is regrettable because it is really swell
to type on.  Nice crisp feel, and different key layouts (2 Dvoraks
even ?!) switch selectable.

There is hope however!

The DataDesk SwitchBoard[tm] comes with replacement keys that allow
you to reverse the caps-lock and control keys as you wish.

Another small victory for people who use things like VersaTerm to talk
to Unix boxes and edit with Emacs.

Marty "Wrist Pad Plus" Connor

--

ccastcr@prism.gatech.EDU (Russo, Chris A.) (11/01/90)

jojo@accucx.cc.ruu.nl (Jo van Bilsen) writes:

>> The swapping of caps lock and control, so now you have a tiny control
>> key and a large caps lock key. Control I use far more heavily

>Go to the KCHR resource in keyboard or key caps start editting
>and define the caps lock the same as the CTRL key and you
>have a big CTRL key

Yeah, you have a big CTRL key.........._THAT LOCKS_!!!

Good try, tho.

--
Russo, Chris A.
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!ccastcr

wwtaroli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Bill Taroli) (11/01/90)

In article <907@accucx.cc.ruu.nl> jojo@accucx.UUCP (Jo van Bilsen) writes:
>Go to the KCHR resource in keyboard or key caps start editting
>and define the caps lock the same as the CTRL key and you
>have a big CTRL key

Yes, a big Control key ... that LOCKS! arg!!

* Bill Taroli (WWTAROLI@RODAN.acs.syr.edu)    | "You can and must understand  *
* Syracuse University, Syracuse NY            | computers NOW!" -- Ted Nelson *