[comp.sys.mac.misc] Fax modems

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (08/30/90)

Can anyone recommend a GOOD FAX modem (2400baud Modem/9600baud FAX), and
REALLY GOOD FAX modem software......I have heard that the InterFAX FAX modem
and the BackFAX software are pretty good......which out of them all is the
best to get?

Gary
---
    UUCP: ogicse!clark!pro-freedom!gsnow   | Pro-Freedom: 206/253-9389
 ProLine: gsnow@pro-freedom                | Vancouver, Wa
 ARPANet: crash!pro-freedom!gsnow@nosc.mil | Apple*Van
InterNet: gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com        | Vancouver Apple Users Group

boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) (08/30/90)

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) writes:

>Can anyone recommend a GOOD FAX modem (2400baud Modem/9600baud FAX), and
>REALLY GOOD FAX modem software......I have heard that the InterFAX FAX modem
>and the BackFAX software are pretty good......which out of them all is the
>best to get?

First, it's 2,400 and 9,600 bps, not baud.  Baud means one bit of the transmi-
ssion, bps refers to one bit of the data being sent.  High-speed modems (2,400
bps and, I believe, even 1,200 bps) compress more than one bit of the data
being sent into a bit actually sent across the serial port; the 1,200/2,400
rating refers to how much source data they can send, i.e. bits per second
(bps).  Now:

BackFax comes with most faxmodems out there (except for Prometheus ones), and
I don't really see much reason to treat them other than as commodities:
features vs. price.  Consider, though, the ProModem 9600M from Prometheus (that
comes with its own background-faxing [networkable] and communications [Mackno-
wledge] software packages): 9,600 bps fax AND 9,600 bps (effective throughput
up to 19,200) MNP-5 data modem, $1,000 or cheaper at certain mail-order places.

Boris Levitin
WGBH Public Broadcasting, Boston                         boris@world.std.com
Audience & Marketing Research              wgbx!boris_levitin@athena.mit.edu
(The opinions expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily coincide
with those of my employer or anyone else.  The WGBH tag is for ID only.)

mikek@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mike Kranzdorf) (08/31/90)

In article <1990Aug30.142804.6645@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:
>gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) writes:
>
>>Can anyone recommend a GOOD FAX modem (2400baud Modem/9600baud FAX), and
>>REALLY GOOD FAX modem software......I have heard that the InterFAX FAX modem
>>and the BackFAX software are pretty good......which out of them all is the
>>best to get?

I have an Aboaton Interfax 24/96 and it works very well. I receive faxes
without even noticing, and they print just fine (although it's slow to
print, as any tiff-like image is). The fax-maker chooser device works fine too.
It comes with two good manuals, one for the modem part and one for the fax part.
There are ads for $370 or so.

--mike

internet: mikek@boulder.colorado.edu
uucp:{ncar|nbires}!boulder!mikek

gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) (09/02/90)

What about the Dove Fax modem.......the price of $279 seems to good to be
true.

Gary
---

cox@stpstn.UUCP (Brad Cox) (09/03/90)

In article <25472@boulder.Colorado.EDU> mikek@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Mike Kranzdorf) writes:
>In article <1990Aug30.142804.6645@world.std.com> boris@world.std.com (Boris Levitin) writes:
>>gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) writes:
>
>I have an Aboaton Interfax 24/96 and it works very well. I receive faxes
>without even noticing, and they print just fine (although it's slow to
>print, as any tiff-like image is). The fax-maker chooser device works fine too.
>It comes with two good manuals, one for the modem part and one for the fax
>part.

I have an Abaton 24/96. Although I'm delighted with its *functionality*, I'm
extremely unhappy with its *implementation*, to the point that I'd not
recommend buying it until the next release, or at least buying from a fax
vendor with better software.

The biggest problem is that the InterFax application is problematic under
MultiFinder. The problem is performance related, not an out and out crash.
I noticed that it was taking forever to format a rather ordinary Word
document with a couple of graphics in it (i.e. over an hour formatting a single
page for background transmission, during which all other Macintosh capabilities
are locked out...totally modal)

I called InterFax customer support and they asked if I was using MultiFinder.
Sure enough, when I rebooted under unifinder it clipped along at its normal
snail's pace.  Rebooting to get unifinder is totally unacceptable.

That's the fatal problem. The others are more subjective. Although sending
and sending faxes via Mac seems wonderful at first, the glory quickly pales
once you begin using the thing for real. The problem is not with the
fax send/receive process itself, which is acceptably fast and reliable.
The problem is in the speed with which incoming faxes can be viewed and
printed (intolerably slow), and with which outgoing faxes are converted
into disk-resident form for background transmission. Intolerably slow
and clumsy.

The InterFax application itself is the source of the former problem, and
the printer driver that converts to disk-resident form the latter. The
application is wildly inconvenient to use (bad user interface).
--

Brad Cox; cox@stepstone.com; CI$ 71230,647; 203 426 1875
The Stepstone Corporation; 75 Glen Road; Sandy Hook CT 06482

drew@objy.com (Drew Wade) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Aug30.080649.3959@clark.edu> gsnow@pro-freedom.cts.com (Gary Snow) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a GOOD FAX modem (2400baud Modem/9600baud FAX), and
>REALLY GOOD FAX modem software......I have heard that the InterFAX FAX modem
>and the BackFAX software are pretty good......which out of them all is the
>best to get?

There's a recent (last couple months?) article comparing fax modems in
either macuser or macworld.  We just installed Orchid's faxmodem with
the faxgate plus software from solutions.  It allows any user on the net
to send faxes just like s/he sends email with quickmail (works with ms mail
,too, they say).  Also, users can send application documents with print command
like in backfax, except backfax is limited to one user, and faxgate plus
(with their "mailsaver" feature) allows you to address it like any quickmail
mail.  Seems very nice.

Only complaint so far (after a couple week's use) is that it cannot be used
for both faxmodem and quickmail's dial-in-to-get-you-mail modem.  Maybe that's
much to ask, though they say they will do it in future.  For now, you must
install regular modem on quickmail server (if you want to allow dial-in
access to mail) and install faxmodem and faxgate software on a different
mac, using some cycles and memory on that machine and another phone line.

-Drew Wade
drew@objy.com
--
----
Drew Wade

kap1@phyllis.math.binghamton.edu (Dietrich Kappe) (09/07/90)

I have absolutely no problems with the speed/functionality of the
Interfax 24/96 Hdw & Sftw. I run this stuff on a stock mac+ with 1meg under
multifinder.  No waits, no fails, no crashes.

--Dietrich--

kjelll@dront.nada.kth.se (Kjell Lundesten) (11/03/90)

We are about to develop an application on the Macintosh which will
include a number of faxes. One immediate problem we discovered is
the need for a fax to which communication can be made via an
API (Application Programming Interface), i.e. controlling the fax
transmissions from our program.

I would very much like to receive information in this matter.

Please reply by mail to kjelll@dront.nada.kth.se

Thanks