[comp.sys.mac.misc] Please indulge my ignorance

davea@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Dave Arns) (10/25/90)

I am the one who wrote the naive and ignorant proposal on October 15th about
the "new" binary distribution method; i.e., e-mail.  There were several
else:  that there already *are* e-mail distribution methods for Mac binaries.
My apologies for not knowing this before.

One of the responders made the statement "...there are many such archives..."
And here my ignorance shines again.  What are these "many such archives"?  What
are their e-mail addresses?  The only one that anyone explicitly stated how to
access was LISTSERV at ricevm1.rice.edu.

Please enlighten me as to the other Mac binary e-mail servers.  Send responses
to the address below.

Thanks.

Internet:  davea@hpfcmgcf.hp.com  Mail:	Hewlett-Packard Company
HP-Desk:   %ux@hp4000			Attn: Dave Arns   MS46
Telnet:    1-229-3882			3404 E. Harmony Road
AT&T:	   1-303-229-3882		Fort Collins, CO  80525-9599   USA

davea@hpfcmgw.HP.COM (Dave Arns) (10/30/90)

I have gotten two responses so far to my question in this basenote, but both
recommended FTPing through the internet.  However, because Hewlett-Packard is
on a closed subnet, I am unable to FTP outside the company.  That is why I'm
asking about e-mail; FTP won't work.

So far, no one has responded with any names of e-mail binaries servers (except
the one I already had:  ricevm1).  Are there any out there, or was that person
who said "there are many such servers" mistaken?

Thanks,
Dave Arns

Internet: davea@hpfcmgcf.hp.com	  Mail:	Hewlett-Packard Company
HP-Desk:  %ux@hp4000			Attn: Dave Arns   MS46
Telnet:   1-229-3882			3404 E. Harmony Road
AT&T:	  1-303-229-3882		Fort Collins, CO  80525-9599   USA

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (10/31/90)

This may be a little bit roundabout, but you can do ftp through mail as
well.  I quote from Jon Granrose's FTP list:

>       For those unfortunates who do not have ftp but  do  have  mail,  I
>  have included  the  mail  address  of  an archive that will retrieve
> files for you through the mail.  Send "help" in a message to the server
> to  find  out  the exact commands necessary.

>  The only mail-ftp archive I know of is:

>          bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu (most well-known)

>  Please don't ask me how to use it, as it can explain  itself  better  than  I
>  can.

Please don't ask me how to use it either, as I have never tried (no need).

geoff@pmafire.inel.gov (Geoff Allen) (11/03/90)

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) writes:
>This may be a little bit roundabout, but you can do ftp through mail as
>well.  I quote from Jon Granrose's FTP list:
>
>>       For those unfortunates who do not have ftp but  do  have  mail,  I
>>  have included  the  mail  address  of  an archive that will retrieve
>> files for you through the mail.  Send "help" in a message to the server
>> to  find  out  the exact commands necessary.
>
>>  The only mail-ftp archive I know of is:
>
>>          bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu (most well-known)
>
>>  Please don't ask me how to use it, as it can explain  itself  better  than  I
>>  can.
>
>Please don't ask me how to use it either, as I have never tried (no need).

Someone sent me info on this as a comment on my Frequently Asked
Questions file recently posted to comp.sys.mac.announce.  I'll add this
info to the FAQ for the next go-around.  In the meantime, here's the
scoop (from recent discussions in comp.dcom.telecom):

| FIRST -- Send a letter to:  bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu  (all but Bitnet)
|                             bitftp@princeton.bitnet    (Bitnet users)
|
| Your letter should consist of the single word HELP, in upper case, on
| the first line at the far left margin. The subject does not matter.
| You will receive by return mail a help file for how to use the
| Archives Mail Server, with contact names at Princeton if you run into
| trouble.
|
| SECOND -- When you have studied this document, you can then use the
| facility to obtain the files you need.
|
| Basically, you send 'letters' to the address above, and your letters
| will consist of ftp commands and appropriate arguments for each. Here
| is an example:
|
| Write to: bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu   (or bitftp@princeton.bitnet)
| The subject does not matter. Issue the ftp commands at the left
| margin, then a space, and the arguments:
|
| FTP lcs.mit.edu
| USER anonymous name@site
| CD telecom-archives
| ASCII
| GET index.to.archives   (or, the name of the desired file)
| GET the.next.file.you.want
| BYE
|
| Somewhere between a few hours and a couple days later, you will
| receive the requested files sent to you as a letter. Large files will
| be broken into several smaller parts. You will also get a couple of
| letters from the daemon running this program showing you how your
| commands were interpreted in the event of an error.
|
| Patrick Townson (Moderator: comp.dcom.telecom)

Geoff Allen         \  Computers are useless.
uunet!pmafire!geoff  \  They can only give you answers.
bigtex!pmafire!geoff  \		-- Pablo Picasso