[comp.sys.mac.misc] Surely a IIFX blows an Amiga 3000 away, right?

252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) (10/11/90)

A friend of mine recently was bragging that an A3000/25/50 running the
AMAX-II mac plus emulator was leaving various Mac II's in the dust.
They were running Speedometer 2.5 and came up with following results:

KWhets/sec: 882.4 (using FPU) 39.4 (not using FPU)
Dhrys/sec:  2871 FPU, 2717 not
Sieve:      3.70 sec FPU, 3.83 sec
Savage err:  7.988e-10, 2.297e-11
Savage time: 8.52 sec FPU, 71.43 sec
Savage iterations: 25000 FPU, 5000

CPU test: 6.40 (no FPU)
Math:     95.27 FPU, 5.24
Performance:  5.42 (no FPU)

Of course he was comparing it to relatively slow Mac II's like the cx.
Would someone with a IIFX screamer post some results so I can show my
haughty amiga friend up?  If someone has a souped up mac that would be
faster than an fx,  post 'em.  Hmm, why not make this the world's
fastest 680x0 machine contest?

 * Mike Gleason                                      252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu
 * "Don't you f*ckin' look at me!" -- D. Hopper       cosc006@unlcdc2.unl.edu

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.222343.8737@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
>A friend of mine recently was bragging that an A3000/25/50 running the
>AMAX-II mac plus emulator was leaving various Mac II's in the dust.
>They were running Speedometer 2.5 and came up with following results:
>
>KWhets/sec: 882.4 (using FPU) 39.4 (not using FPU)
>Dhrys/sec:  2871 FPU, 2717 not
>Sieve:      3.70 sec FPU, 3.83 sec
>Savage err:  7.988e-10, 2.297e-11
>Savage time: 8.52 sec FPU, 71.43 sec
>Savage iterations: 25000 FPU, 5000
>
>CPU test: 6.40 (no FPU)
>Math:     95.27 FPU, 5.24
>Performance:  5.42 (no FPU)

I'd be curious to see how various Macs performed.

>Of course he was comparing it to relatively slow Mac II's like the cx.
>Would someone with a IIFX screamer post some results so I can show my
>haughty amiga friend up?  If someone has a souped up mac that would be

You might end up looking a little silly when you realize that you
could have THREE complete A3000/50/25mhz machines (with COLOR monitors)
for the price of one IIfx color system.

>faster than an fx,  post 'em.  Hmm, why not make this the world's
>fastest 680x0 machine contest?

I'm sure the winner wouldn't be a Mac or an Amiga.  Probably, one of
the screamer workstations would win.

>_____________________________________________________________________________
> * Mike Gleason                                      252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu
> * "Don't you f*ckin' look at me!" -- D. Hopper       cosc006@unlcdc2.unl.edu
               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK, I won't! :-)

Cheers,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.222343.8737@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
>  Hmm, why not make this the world's
>fastest 680x0 machine contest?

    I refer you to article 47427@mcdchg.mcd.mot.com in the comp.newprod
group, dated today: The MYRIAS SPS-3, using 32 68040's, running at 50Mhz.

--
 _
Kevin D. Quitt         demott!kdq   kdq@demott.com

                96.37% of all statistics are made up.

ddev@wam.umd.edu (Don DeVoe) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct11.002137.11988@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <1990Oct10.222343.8737@hoss.unl.edu> 252u3129@fergvax.unl.edu (Mike Gleason) writes:
>>A friend of mine recently was bragging that an A3000/25/50 running the
>>AMAX-II mac plus emulator was leaving various Mac II's in the dust.
>>They were running Speedometer 2.5 and came up with following results:
>>
>>KWhets/sec: 882.4 (using FPU) 39.4 (not using FPU)
>>Dhrys/sec:  2871 FPU, 2717 not
>>Sieve:      3.70 sec FPU, 3.83 sec
>>Savage err:  7.988e-10, 2.297e-11
>>Savage time: 8.52 sec FPU, 71.43 sec
>>Savage iterations: 25000 FPU, 5000
>>
>>CPU test: 6.40 (no FPU)
>>Math:     95.27 FPU, 5.24
>>Performance:  5.42 (no FPU)
>
>I'd be curious to see how various Macs performed.

Ok, here's my results, running on an original II (using Speedometer 2.5):

              w/FPU          w/o FPU