[comp.sys.mac.misc] Advice on making color slides needed

bowler@athena.mit.edu (albert smith) (11/02/90)

I would like to be able to make color slides from a Adobe Illustrator 88
v1.9.5 files.  Our current set up is a Mac IIcx and a Montage FR1 film
recorder.  The software to drive the film recorder is ImageQ v3.0
(Provided by Monatge).

How do Imake a color slides using this setup?  Or more specifically what
else do I need?  Or will it not really possible with this setup?  (i.e.
Do I have the wrong film recorder?)  The documentation that came with
the says that Illustrator files will come out as bitmapped black and
white files.  (I have not tested this myself.)  I would like to be able
to create color slides.

Thank you in advance for your help.

albert smith

--
___________________________________
albert smith, bowler@athena.mit.edu

jak9213@helios.TAMU.EDU (John Kane) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Nov1.195650.26283@athena.mit.edu> bowler@athena.mit.edu (albert smith) writes:

>I would like to be able to make color slides from a Adobe Illustrator 88
>v1.9.5 files.  Our current set up is a Mac IIcx and a Montage FR1 film
>recorder.  The software to drive the film recorder is ImageQ v3.0
>(Provided by Monatge).

Wow, deja vu. I am doing this right now.

Your problem is that the Montage FR1 wants to print PICTs and you want to print
an EPSF file. Well, just convert the EPSF file to a PICT. I am sure that there
are a number of ways to do this, but the one that I am using is Aldus
Persuasion 2.0 (I am doing a presentation and am using some EPSF graphics on
my slides).

Just import the EPSF graphic into Persuasion, then export the slide as a PICT.
You can then load it up into ImageQ DA. Away you go!

--
 John Arthur Kane, Systems Analyst, Microcomputer Support and Training
 Texas A&M University, College Station, TX 77843  (409) 845-9999

 jak9213@helios.tamu.edu     profs: x043jk@tamvm1.tamu.edu

clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu (Kathy Strong) (11/03/90)

In article <9780@helios.TAMU.EDU> jak9213@helios.TAMU.EDU (John Kane) writes:

> [stuff omitted]
>Your problem is that the Montage FR1 wants to print PICTs and you want to print
>an EPSF file. Well, just convert the EPSF file to a PICT. I am sure that there
>are a number of ways to do this, but the one that I am using is Aldus
>Persuasion 2.0 (I am doing a presentation and am using some EPSF graphics on
>my slides).
> [more stuff omitted]

If you don't have Persuasion, try this: in Illustrator, select the entire
graphic. Hold down the Option key while you copy. Paste to Scrapbook.
Voila! a PICT file.

This advice probably won't help you, but it may assist someone else: There
are lots of slide service bureaus that can directly image EPS files. I just
had ca. 60 EPS files imaged at Stokes Imaging in Austin, TX, for about $7
each (for 4K lines, one day service). This is by no means the cheapest price
around, but they're local and convenient. I sent them EPS files created in 3:2
aspect ratio (as I recall, I created a rectangle 600x400 pts and worked from
there) and they imaged without a flaw. I wish I could tell you what hardware
they're using, but I've been digging through my "current work" pile for a
few minutes now without success. Anyway... there ARE slide recorders that
can handle EPS files with no problem nowadays.

 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
   Kathy Strong               :  "Welcome to FUBAR Corp., where there's
  (Clouds moving slowly)      :   never enough time to do a job right,
   clouds@ccwf.cc.utexas.edu  :   but always enough time to do it over."

johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl (Johan de Haas) (11/04/90)

In <9780@helios.TAMU.EDU> jak9213@helios.TAMU.EDU (John Kane) writes:

>In article <1990Nov1.195650.26283@athena.mit.edu> bowler@athena.mit.edu (albert smith) writes:

>>I would like to be able to make color slides from a Adobe Illustrator 88
>>v1.9.5 files.  Our current set up is a Mac IIcx and a Montage FR1 film
>>recorder.  The software to drive the film recorder is ImageQ v3.0
>>(Provided by Monatge).

>Wow, deja vu. I am doing this right now.

>Your problem is that the Montage FR1 wants to print PICTs and you want to print
>an EPSF file. Well, just convert the EPSF file to a PICT. I am sure that there
>are a number of ways to do this, but the one that I am using is Aldus
>Persuasion 2.0 (I am doing a presentation and am using some EPSF graphics on
>my slides).

>Just import the EPSF graphic into Persuasion, then export the slide as a PICT.
>You can then load it up into ImageQ DA. Away you go!

The problem with this last procedure is that the printed image will be that of
the coarse bitmap that is present as the so-called preview in the PICT resource
of the EPS file.

If you want to have a high resolution image, you will need a PostScript
interpreter on your Macintosh. I know of two such packages that will work with
the Montage Fimrecorder:

	Freedom of Press from Custom Applications
	Professional Output Manager from Visual Business

I have worked with the latter one (which is specifically for color printers
and film recorders) and got very nice results with EPSF files.

Johan de Haas     tel. +31 15 785188   E-mail: johan@dutnak2.tudelft.nl
Lab. of Seismics & Acoustics             Delft University of Technology
P.O Box 5046, 2600 GA Delft, The Netherlands