[comp.sys.mac.misc] Surely A Iifx Blows An Amiga 3

Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) (10/13/90)

Of course, the Amax-II only runs on 128k Mac ROMs, and only in monochrome.
So any performance test done on a Mac should be done in monochrome mode.  I
have a IIci and will post results from Speedometer shortly.  Amax-II is
silly, in my opinion - it's just there in name to give the Amiga supposed
Macintosh compatibility.

Tell me, what can you do with a black/white 640x400 INTERLACED flickering
screen display?  Next to nothing.  All new Macs will have 512k 32-bit clean
ROMs.  That will render newly written software practically useless on the
Amax.  I think your Amiga friend is suffering from Mac envy, even though
he'll never admit it.

--
Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava

Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) (10/13/90)

Ok, I got the results of the Speedometer tests.  Unfortunately, the latest
version of Speedometer that I have is version 2.0.  I will post the results I
got with that.  The figures you quoted seem way off to me.  Som  of them make
sense, but others are totally ridiculous, like the math results.  Speedometer
2.0 compares its results to a stock Mac SE with a 20 MB hard disk.  Here are
those comparison numbers:

CPU:  6.62 x speed of Mac SE
Math:  13.97
Disk:  5.05
Overall:  7.78

Now...

Kwhetstones/sec:  108.108
Dhrystones/sec:  5008.347
Sieve (Sec. for 10 times):  .583
Savage Cum. Error:  2.29745e-0111
Savage Time:  22.950
Savage Iterations:  5000

Unfortunately, some of these results are incredibly low.  That is because
Speedometer 2.0 was not compiled and optimized for the 68882 FPU.  In the
documentation of 2.0, I found that the author wrote a version (which I don't
have, natch) that is optimized for and takes full advantage of the 68881.
This is slower than a 68882, mind you.  With that, he got over 600
Kwhetstones/second, and the above "Math:  13.97" jumped to 118!!  I will try
to get my hands on a copy of Speedometer 2.5, so we can do an accurate
comparison.  I provided the above results because I had them, but don't use
them or quote them, because they aren't accurate or representative.  When I
get 2.5, I'll post a message to you with the results.

--

In article <7876.271B9F29@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG> Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) writes:

>Tell me, what can you do with a black/white 640x400 INTERLACED flickering
>screen display?  Next to nothing.  All new Macs will have 512k 32-bit clean
>ROMs.  That will render newly written software practically useless on the
>Amax.  I think your Amiga friend is suffering from Mac envy, even though
>he'll never admit it.

	Admittedly, the AMax compatibility is only Mac Plus
compat., however you should realize that flicker-fixers are
built-in to Amiga 3000's and are available for Amiga 2000's. AMax
will also work fine on Amigas with accelerators just fine. Also,
most software does work on Mac Pluses with enough memory and a
hard drive.
	I would never recommend someone get an Amiga just for the
Mac compatibility, nor for the IBM compatibility. However, they
give people who want Amigas for other reasons but also need
compatibility with other machines the ability to get the best of
both worlds.
	There is no need for senseless flames. Amigas and Macs
both have advantages for different people. Have you seen Amiga
3000s, or even an Amiga with a flicker-fixer? The Amiga's native
multitasking and very responsive OS are it's primary advantages
to non-video/multimedia people. However, although the Amiga may
not currently have the greatest proffesional software, not
everyone needs the highest quality. The Amiga has some excellent
word processors, spreadsheets and databases. Unfortunately there
is no WordPerfect 5.1, Excel or FoxBase. This doesn't make the
system suck, just make it inappropriate for someone doing heavy
duty spreadsheets.

>--
>Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
>    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava
>INTERNET: Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

cleland@sdbio2.ucsd.edu (Thomas Cleland) (10/22/90)

To: Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG
Subject: Re: Surely A Iifx Blows An Amiga 3
Newsgroups: comp.sys.mac.misc
Bcc:

In article <7876.271B9F29@fidogate.FIDONET.ORG> you write:
>Of course, the Amax-II only runs on 128k Mac ROMs, and only in monochrome.
>So any performance test done on a Mac should be done in monochrome mode.  I
>have a IIci and will post results from Speedometer shortly.  Amax-II is
>silly, in my opinion - it's just there in name to give the Amiga supposed
>Macintosh compatibility.
>
>Tell me, what can you do with a black/white 640x400 INTERLACED flickering
>screen display?  Next to nothing.  All new Macs will have 512k 32-bit clean
>ROMs.  That will render newly written software practically useless on the
>Amax.  I think your Amiga friend is suffering from Mac envy, even though
>he'll never admit it.
>
>--
>Sonny Shrivastava - via FidoNet node 1:125/777
>    UUCP: ...!uunet!hoptoad!fidogate!161!555!Sonny.Shrivastava
>INTERNET: Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG

Whoop whoop, watch that there, let's talk reality:

Amax II.  Good product.  There's a lot of little programs,
particularly short scientific programs and niche stuff like
that, that simply aren't on the Amiga yet.  And some serious
software, like Mathematica  (we have Maple, but that's one level
below Mathematica).  Amax II brings that to the person who needs
Amiga power but also needs software that isn't yet out for
Amiga.  I'm impressed with Amax II's speed, very impressed
indeed.  It's largely a software product and as such really
ought to be quite slow, ROM chips notwithstanding.  It has no
business standing up to Mac IIci's and IIfx's, though the fact
that it matches the former is testimony to good developers.  But
Amax II isn't Mac II, even on a 3000.  It's a bloody Mac Plus
emulator.  Stuff designed for Mac II only can be competed with
on the Amiga proper; contrary to Sonny, though, I think that
most software will continue to be compatible with Mac Classic et
al machines and the user base of Pluses and SEs.  Just to fill
in the cracks until Amiga's been around as long as Mac.  Amax is
quite good compatibility, you should try it sometime.  I eagerly
await the results of Apple's Amiga 500 emulator  ;'}

Oh, BTW, flicker is way old news.  And don't knock interlace,
that's why we can do such screaming video work.  The 3000 has
no-flicker built in, and similar products are there for all
Amiga models now.  Me?  I'm in hi-res on a lowly 500 from years
ago without even a new Agnus chip, looking through a $19 screen
filter onto a high-contrast screen.  I detect no flicker.

Jeez, why don't we take on IBM.  How's that Micro Channel for a
bus, eh?  The bus that even the clone makers wouldn't emulate.

Thom

p.s. I'd be curious why one can't do anything on a B/W screen
display, just like a regular mac's except with more resolution.
Many people I know are quite happy with compact Macs.

Mac envy?  Ain't no such varmint.

wieser@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) (10/23/90)

Does anyone know what amax announces itself as?  I would like to have
my software NOT run when it sees an emulator.

Bernie Wieser
Someone somewhere at U of C
Working and being educated somewhere at some time sometimes

seanc@pro-party.cts.com (Sean Cunningham) (10/23/90)

If you'll look at the title of the post you responded to, you'll notice that
it's refering to the Amiga 3000.
                     ^^^^^^^^^^

The Amiga 3000 has TWO, count'em, TWO video ports out the back.  One is for
video applications, and has the appropriate 15.75kHz freq.  The other is for
use with a multiscan or VGA moniter and is 31.5kHz...flicker-free!  I'd also
like to add that Amax supports the ECS, so you have several choices for screen
mode and resolution...640 x 400, 640 x 480, 640 x 960, etc., etc.

Get your facts straight...

Sean

  UUCP: ...!crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc       | B^) VISION  GRAPHICS B^)
  ARPA: !crash!pnet01!pro-party!seanc@nosc.mil |     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  INET: seanc@pro-party.cts.com                | Dual A3000 based, custom
                                Help keep the  |    computer graphics,
  RealWorld: Sean Cunningham    competition // | animation, presentation,
      Voice: (512) 994-1602         under \X/  |  simulation,  accident-
                                               |  scene re-creation, and
  ...better life through creative computing... |   recreation...(whew!)

pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) (10/24/90)

In a previous article, Sonny.Shrivastava@f555.n161.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Sonny Shrivastava) says:

>Tell me, what can you do with a black/white 640x400 INTERLACED flickering
>screen display?  Next to nothing.  All new Macs will have 512k 32-bit clean
>ROMs.

Mac's have Interlaced video also. The video runs at 90Mhz so you don't notice
the flicker, but its interlaced none the less. The 90Hhz video is one reason
the Mac is hard to use for video, the Amiga video runs at standard NTSC rates.

BTW I have a Mac at work and any software that I've run on a real Mac runs
just fine on the AMAX I have at home. No offense but I've heard its not hard
to emulate a Mac on the Amiga but it would be nearly impossible to emulate an
Amiga on the Mac.

--
                                           ///
Pete Babic  -  pab@po.cwru.edu    |       ///  /\

In article <1990Oct22.203332.29159@cpsc.ucalgary.ca> wieser@cs-sun-fsd.cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Bernhard Wieser) writes:
>Does anyone know what amax announces itself as?  I would like to have
>my software NOT run when it sees an emulator.

	It announces itself as a Mac Plus. I don't think you want
to get rid of all Mac Pluses. Why would you care if it ran on an
emulator? You'd make more sales that way. Is there a "purity"
issue here that you wouldn't want your software running on one
of those ICKY Commodore or Atari machines? They both make very
nice Macs. 8)

dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct23.193646.8067@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> pab@po.CWRU.Edu (Pete Babic) writes:

>Mac's have Interlaced video also. The video runs at 90Mhz so you don't notice
>the flicker, but its interlaced none the less. The 90Hhz video is one reason
>the Mac is hard to use for video, the Amiga video runs at standard NTSC rates.

Where did you get this information?  Any Mac video that I have ever looked
at was NOT interlaced.  The frame rate is typically somewhere around 70 Hz.

Do you have any actual measured numbers for any Mac video card - horizontal
and vertical frequency, or pixel clock.  Or data sheets that claim this?

It is not possible to provide "workstation" quality in screen images
while using NTSC-standard (actually EIA RS-170A) video timing.  Amiga chose
to use RS-170 timing, and so it fits in the low-cost video world very well.
The Mac family chose to be a workstation, with video suitable for that world.

As a result of these choices, the Amiga suffers from interlace flicker and the
Mac doesn't.  I have heard of a device called the FlickerFixer for the Amiga -
but if it eliminates flicker, it also eliminates NTSC compatibility.

In article <1990Oct30.171538.14327@imax.com> dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) writes:

>As a result of these choices, the Amiga suffers from interlace flicker and the
>Mac doesn't.  I have heard of a device called the FlickerFixer for the Amiga -
>but if it eliminates flicker, it also eliminates NTSC compatibility.

	The Amiga 3000 comes with a chip which does the work of a
flicker-fixer. There are three companies which make flicker-fixer
addons for the A2000, including Commodore. The Commodore board
can be found for under $250.
	And these boards do not eliminate NTSC compatibility. The
simply add a second video port with the same picture coming out
both, so you can have your video equipment hooked up to the old
port and the monitor on the new.

	-- Ethan

Ethan Solomita: es1@cunixb.cc.columbia.edu

GorbachevAwards++;
free (SovietUnion);
IndependentRepublics += 15;

davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) (10/31/90)

In article <1990Oct30.171538.14327@imax.com> dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) writes:

[...]

>It is not possible to provide "workstation" quality in screen images
>while using NTSC-standard (actually EIA RS-170A) video timing.  Amiga chose
>to use RS-170 timing, and so it fits in the low-cost video world very well.
>The Mac family chose to be a workstation, with video suitable for that world.

Wait a minute, I think you changed definitions of 'video' between the third
and fourth line :-).  If your goal is to produce NTSC output, then you need
interlacing.  There's no such thing as "low-cost" video vs. "workstation"
video (at least in the area of timing, which is what you seem to be
implying).  I agree that the Mac is currently better at such things as
1024x768 w/16M colors, but that's not video (your term "screen images"
is a better one).

>As a result of these choices, the Amiga suffers from interlace flicker and the
>Mac doesn't.  I have heard of a device called the FlickerFixer for the Amiga -
>but if it eliminates flicker, it also eliminates NTSC compatibility.

You're assuming that the FlickerFixer affects the entire machine.  Actually,
the FlickerFixer works as a separate entity.  A 15.75Khz video signal
comes in, and a 31.5Khz (scan-doubled or de-interlaced) signal comes
out through a separate port.  In theory, you can hook up your multisync
monitor to the FlickerFixer and your genlock to the regular Amiga video
port and have the best of both worlds (almost;  you won't have the genlocked
video displayable on your multisync, but you should have some NTSC display
deviced hooked into all this along with your VCR anyway).  In practice,
this has not been true because a genlock hooked up to an Amiga alters
the timing of the computer just enough to keep the FlickerFixer from
working.  The makers of the FlickerFixer have produced a $50 hardware
fix for this, and I believe the new Commodore flickerfixer doesn't
suffer from this problem at all.

--
Dave Schreiber                                    davids@slugmail.ucsc.edu
                                or (but not both) davids@ucscb.ucsc.edu

dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) (11/05/90)

In article <8350@darkstar.ucsc.edu> davids@ucscf.UCSC.EDU (Dave Schreiber) writes:

>In article <1990Oct30.171538.14327@imax.com> dave@imax.com (Dave Martindale) writes:
>
>[...]
>
>>It is not possible to provide "workstation" quality in screen images
>>while using NTSC-standard (actually EIA RS-170A) video timing.  Amiga chose
>>to use RS-170 timing, and so it fits in the low-cost video world very well.
>>The Mac family chose to be a workstation, with video suitable for that world.
>
>Wait a minute, I think you changed definitions of 'video' between the third
>and fourth line :-).  If your goal is to produce NTSC output, then you need
>interlacing.  There's no such thing as "low-cost" video vs. "workstation"
>video (at least in the area of timing, which is what you seem to be
>implying).  I agree that the Mac is currently better at such things as
>1024x768 w/16M colors, but that's not video.

Not at all.  As I use it, "video" is any signal or set of signals used to
drive a raster-scan display device.  This includes NTSC/RS-170, but also
includes HDTV (all variations), plus all of the unique formats put out
by Sun workstations, SGI workstations, VGA boards, and everything else.

I could have said "low-cost NTSC video" in the third line, but I thought
that was obvious.  When I talk about the Mac as a "workstation", I mean
that its video frequencies and bandwidth are at least up in the lower range
of that used by computers sold as workstations.

The thing that most obviously distinguishes NTSC-compatible video from
what I refer to "workstation" video is the horizontal sweep rate.  Current
workstations mostly use a H frequency of about 50-70 kHz, and even hardware
built many years ago was using 30 kHz, while NTSC is 15.7 kHz.  Video bandwidth
for NTSC is about 4 MHz, while workstations need 25-100 MHz.  All that extra
bandwidth goes towards displaying more pixels and eliminating flicker by
refreshing the whole display faster.

>You're assuming that the FlickerFixer affects the entire machine.  Actually,
>the FlickerFixer works as a separate entity.  A 15.75Khz video signal
>comes in, and a 31.5Khz (scan-doubled or de-interlaced) signal comes
>out through a separate port.  In theory, you can hook up your multisync
>monitor to the FlickerFixer and your genlock to the regular Amiga video
>port and have the best of both worlds.

Ok, so the FlickerFixer is a separate frame buffer that doesn't affect
the NTSC output.  So you have two frame buffers that show the same
image, and which are limited to a 30 Hz update rate.  Does the
FlickerFixer plug into the Amiga, or is it a separate outboard box?  It
still seems rather silly to have a whole second framebuffer's worth of
video memory and not be able to display a second image.  (It makes
about as much sense as buying a second microprocessor called a "print
buffer" because your operating sytem can't multitask.)

Anyway, if you're willing to pay for a second framebuffer, you can have
non-interlaced video on an Amiga.  By the same token, buying a second
framebuffer can give you genlock NTSC capability on the Mac.  (Or a second
high-res screen - the Mac is more flexible that way).  That's somewhat
beside the point.

Most users use the standard video.  The Amiga's standard video is well-suited
to "desk top video", and the applications available for it reflect that.
The Mac's video is unusable for DTV, but fine for "desk top publishing",
and that's why there is so much DTP software for the Mac.

	Dave Martindale