[comp.sys.mac.misc] NextColor

mldemsey@cs.arizona.edu (Matthew L. Demsey) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov4.124453.3882@cs.uoregon.edu>, mings@cs.uoregon.edu (Ming Yau So) writes:
> 	However, there may be at least one reason for buying a Mac instead of
> a NeXT, that is color (please correct me if I am wrong).  If you are want
> color, then you should buy a Mac, not a NeXT, because, as far as I know, the
> NeXT does not support color on ay of its models.  I don't know about the '040
> NeXT, but I assume that it won't have color either, since I never heard that
> NeXT has any plan on introducing color machine.
>
> 	Once again, if I have said anything wrong, please correct me, thanks !
>
> Ming

  Depending on how elaborate you want to get:
   The NeXTDimension color updagrade for the Cube, has onboard hardware
video compression,64-bit RISC based graphics coproc, 32-bit true color
(24-bit color, 8-bit alpha (dictates transparencies of color))  the
i860 graphics coproc runs at 33 MHz, 16.7 million colors.. VCR, laserdisc
etc. direct connect.. demonstrator told me video compression in
hardware was great than 35:1 (!)  - they say 60 minutes of real time
video stored on a high-capacity disk..

  The NeXTColorStation :1.5 MB dedicated video memory, 4096 color simultaneously
1120 x 832 resolution.. plus all the NeXT station facilities..

  As for buying a NeXT, I am planning on it after I sell my IIcx; I'm
even losing color for the switch (monetary reasons) but still will get
15 MIPS and 2 MFLOPS, + 2.88 firm drive, 105 mB HD, Mathematica, WriteNow,
Digital Webster, TeX processing, oodles more software, plus a Laser Printer
all for $4535 (educational price...)

  (actually its $4453, now that I check..) Loki