[comp.sys.mac.misc] What are hqx files?

rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul Stephen Sears) (11/05/90)

Can someone explain what .hqx files are?  I understand them to be some
type of compression for file transfer but how do I un-"hqx" them?  If
there is a utility for this can someone tell me where, perferably a ftp
site.  Thank you...

--
Paul Sears      The Univ. of Houston |"The greater an individual's power
Student of the College of Technology | over others, the greater the evil that

c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.EDU (Donald Burr) (11/05/90)

In article <1990Nov5.040718.5779@menudo.uh.edu> rcte2p@menudo.uh.edu (Paul Stephen Sears) writes:
>Can someone explain what .hqx files are?  I understand them to be some
>type of compression for file transfer but how do I un-"hqx" them?  If
>there is a utility for this can someone tell me where, perferably a ftp
>site.  Thank you...

Ok, here's the deal.  Programs and documents you create don't contain JUST
strait ASCII codes; they contain a lot of nasty control characters.  So if
you try to straight ASCII upload or post files on the network, they won't
come out right, since a lot of mailers, netnews posting prorams, etc.
either choke on, or strip out, the control characters in a file.

This is where .hqx files come in.  .hqx files are created by a program called
BinHex, which is public domain (I believe), and can be obtained on various
FTP sites (sumex-aim.stanford.edu might have it), and also on BBS's.
also, some other programs (BinHqx DA, StuffIt Classic 1.5.1, StuffIt Deluxe,
etc) can encode/decode BinHex files.

Basically, what BinHex does, is it converts all the nasty control characters
in a file into ASCII characters.  Thus, you get a file that has NO conrol
characters in it, and thus won't choke your mailer programs and such.
Thus you can send it all over the Internet, with no problems.  The person
on the other end simply either Xmodem downloads the file, or they can even
ASCII capture the file (if they have a clear enough line), and they run
BinHex or StuffIt or whatever, de-BinHex the file, and all the control
characters get restored in the file, just like they're supposed to be.

Any more questions? Need something clarified?  Feel free to ask, and I'll
do my best to answer.
Donald Burr, c60a-cz@danube.Berkeley.edu  | "I have a seperate mail-address
University of California, Berkeley        | for flames and other such nega-
Majoring in Computer Science              | tive msgs; it's called /dev/null."