[comp.sys.mac.misc] System 7 in assembler?

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) (11/05/90)

In article <F.*m?7$2@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
|> On another thread, is System 7.0 being written in assembler?  If so,
|> Apple is not going to have an easy time moving to other
|> high-performance architectures.

Maybe someone from Apple can confirm this, but I've heard that Apple is
gradually moving their OS to C++. I don't know how far this has gone. On a
related issue, they must have reimplemented a substantial part of QuickDraw
for their graphics accelerator card. Surely they were not silly enough to do
that in assembly language...
--
Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org (Grant Erickson) (11/05/90)

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:
>In article <F.*m?7$2@cs.psu.edu>, melling@cs.psu.edu (Michael D Mellinger) writes:
>|> On another thread, is System 7.0 being written in assembler?  If so,
>Maybe someone from Apple can confirm this, but I've heard that Apple is
>gradually moving their OS to C++. I don't know how far this has gone. On a
>--
>Philip Machanick
>philip@pescadero.stanford.edu

Yes, Apple is recoding System 7.0 in C++. I believe assembler was initially
proposed, but the development of MPW C++ caused a change of plans.
Grant Erickson

.______________________________________________________.
| UUCP: {crash, tcnet}!orbit!pnet51!granteri           |
| ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!granteri@nosc.mil           |
| INET: granteri@pnet51.orb.mn.org                     |
|------------------------------------------------------|
| The right half of the brain controls the left half   |
| of the body. This means that only left-handed people |
| are in their right mind.                             |
!______________________________________________________!

torrie@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Evan James Torrie) (11/05/90)

philip@pescadero.Stanford.EDU (Philip Machanick) writes:

>Maybe someone from Apple can confirm this, but I've heard that Apple is
>gradually moving their OS to C++. I don't know how far this has gone. On a
>related issue, they must have reimplemented a substantial part of QuickDraw
>for their graphics accelerator card. Surely they were not silly enough to do
>that in assembly language...

  In the original press release kit for the 8/24 GC that I received, it was
noted that QuickDraw had been rewritten in C (or was it C++??) to make it
portable to the AMD 29K.

Evan Torrie.  Stanford University, Class of 199?       torrie@cs.stanford.edu
Jim Bolger - a National landslide of incompetence

jlee4@lion.uwaterloo.ca (Johnny Lee) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov4.205040.2164@Neon.Stanford.EDU> philip@pescadero.stanford.edu writes:
[Stuff Deleted]
>Maybe someone from Apple can confirm this, but I've heard that Apple is
>gradually moving their OS to C++. I don't know how far this has gone. On a
>related issue, they must have reimplemented a substantial part of QuickDraw
>for their graphics accelerator card. Surely they were not silly enough to do
>that in assembly language...

From what I remember reading in MacWeek, they're supposed to be using C++
in the Finder. Don't know if anything else is affected, but Apple want ads
usually mention experience with C++ as an asset.

Johnny Lee