[comp.sys.mac.misc] Troubles with binhex

psrds@warwick.ac.uk (Dr T A Harley) (10/30/90)

I have a recurring problem with debinhexing large files which I have
downloaded from comp.mac.binaries.  When creating the sit file, about half way
through I get messages saying the CRC has failed for both the data and
resource forks.  Needless to say, the file archive is indeed corrupted.  This
has now happened for both Solarian and Disinfectant 2.3.  I have
double-checked all my downloading, file-merging, and editing etc., and have
recently downloaded Disinfectant 2.2 without difficulty.  Any suggestions?
Post to the net or EMAIL to T.A.Harley@cu.warwick.ac.uk.

Many thanks in advance,
Trevor Harley

kreme@isis.cs.du.edu (Eric the 'Af-a-Bee) (11/02/90)

In article <1990Oct30.092751.20942@warwick.ac.uk> psrds@warwick.ac.uk (Dr T A Harley) writes:

>I have a recurring problem with debinhexing large files which I have
>downloaded from comp.mac.binaries.  When creating the sit file, about half way
>through I get messages saying the CRC has failed for both the data and
>resource forks.  Needless to say, the file archive is indeed corrupted.  This
>has now happened for both Solarian and Disinfectant 2.3.

I too have been having this type of trouble.  When I used Sruffit 1.6.1 to
try to decompress BinHex archives off the net.  I believe the problem is
Stuffit.  When I got AO, I tried to use the Stuffit version on those disks
and it unencoded the BinHex files (the SAME EXACT FILES) without a problem,
whil 1.6.1 chocked all over them.  I've had this trouble with Multispool,
Disinfectant, and Boomerang.  All crashed on decompressing from BinHex in
1.6.1, and all worked in the AO version...

I hate Stuffit.  I've had nothing but trouble with it in the last two months
(as long as we've had the machine).  Compactor seem slightly better (never
had Compactor crash under MultiFinder).  If only Andy Nicholas would port
over Shrinkit we wouldn't have half the problems..... sigh.

--
| kreme@nyx.cs.du.edu |Growing up leads to growing old, and then to dying, and|
|---------------------|dying to me don't sound like all that much fun.        |

ngg@bridge2.ESD.3Com.COM (Norman Goodger) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov1.195433.11209@isis.cs.du.edu> kreme@isis.UUCP (Eric the 'Af-a-Bee) writes:
>I too have been having this type of trouble.  When I used Sruffit 1.6.1 to
>try to decompress BinHex archives off the net.  I believe the problem is
>Stuffit.  When I got AO, I tried to use the Stuffit version on those disks
>and it unencoded the BinHex files (the SAME EXACT FILES) without a problem,
>whil 1.6.1 chocked all over them.  I've had this trouble with Multispool,
>Disinfectant, and Boomerang.  All crashed on decompressing from BinHex in
>1.6.1, and all worked in the AO version...
>I hate Stuffit.  I've had nothing but trouble with it in the last two months
>(as long as we've had the machine).  Compactor seem slightly better (never
>had Compactor crash under MultiFinder).  If only Andy Nicholas would port
>over Shrinkit we wouldn't have half the problems..... sigh.

	Are we refering to one of the two beta releases of Stuffit 1.6.
	Some of the initial beta's did have some problems which have
	been corrected in the latest and final release of Stuffit Classic
	1.6. I have not had any problems with Classic in the new times I
	used it to check it out. I use deluxe regularly without to many
	problems, though there are a couple things that will be fixed in
	the soon to be released 1.1 version of Deluxe..

	---
--
Norm Goodger				SysOp - MacInfo BBS @415-795-8862
3Com Corp.				Co-SysOp FreeSoft RT - GEnie.