[comp.sys.mac.misc] .cpt format?

mfi@serc.cis.ufl.edu (Mark Interrante) (10/24/90)

I recently downloaded a game called solarian from sumex at stanford
and instead of being in stuffit format it is in .cpt, is this a new
archiving program?

Mark Interrante   		  Software Engineering Research Center
mfi@beach.cis.ufl.edu		  CIS Department, University of Florida 32611
Quote from a west Texas farmer  "status quo is Latin for the mess we're in."

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (10/24/90)

> I recently downloaded a game called solarian from sumex at stanford
> and instead of being in stuffit format it is in .cpt, is this a new
> archiving program?

".cpt" means that it is a Compactor archive.  Compactor is the new(er)
shareware compression utility that seems to be taking over from StuffIt.
It does a better job of compression than StuffIt and/or StuffIt Deluxe.

Ray

vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) (10/27/90)

> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.misc: 24-Oct-90 Re: .cpt format? Ray
> Terry@hpcuhc.cup.hp. (385)

> ".cpt" means that it is a Compactor archive.  Compactor is the new(er)
> shareware compression utility that seems to be taking over from StuffIt.
> It does a better job of compression than StuffIt and/or StuffIt Deluxe.

Be careful what you say here.  I think that the most you can say is
that, at maximum compression settings, Compactor usually does a
comparable job to Stuffit Deluxe, and that its Compression/Time is
(always?) higher than Stuffit Deluxe (on Best level).

In other words, Compactor is fast and compresses comparably to Stuffit
Deluxe-Best.  This means that sometimes Compactor compresses better and
sometimes Stuffit compresses better.  Compactor is faster (I hesitate to
say always, but I think it may be true for sufficiently large files, say
> 10K, and, of course, all other parameters equal.)  There are times (or
files, actually--frequently sounds and pictures) when Stuffit (Classic)
will do a better compression job than Compactor.  So be careful what you
say.
| Vincent Del Vecchio     \       #include <stddisclaimer.h>        |
| Box 4834                 \       #include <stdquote.h>            |
| 5125 Margaret Morrison St.\  BITNET: vd09+%andrew@cmuccvma.bitnet |
| Pittsburgh, PA  15213      \  UUCP: harvard!andrew.cmu.edu!vd09   |
| (412) 268-4441              \  Internet: vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu     |

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/27/90)

In article <Ub_8Fz600awXQkzFhb@andrew.cmu.edu> vd09+@andrew.cmu.edu (Vincent M. Del Vecchio) writes:
>> Excerpts from netnews.comp.sys.mac.misc: 24-Oct-90 Re: .cpt format? Ray
>> Terry@hpcuhc.cup.hp. (385)
>
>> ".cpt" means that it is a Compactor archive.  Compactor is the new(er)
>> shareware compression utility that seems to be taking over from StuffIt.
>> It does a better job of compression than StuffIt and/or StuffIt Deluxe.
>
>Be careful what you say here.  I think that the most you can say is
>that, at maximum compression settings, Compactor usually does a
>comparable job to Stuffit Deluxe, and that its Compression/Time is
>(always?) higher than Stuffit Deluxe (on Best level).
>
>In other words, Compactor is fast and compresses comparably to Stuffit
>Deluxe-Best.  This means that sometimes Compactor compresses better and
>sometimes Stuffit compresses better.  Compactor is faster (I hesitate to
>say always, but I think it may be true for sufficiently large files, say
>> 10K, and, of course, all other parameters equal.)  There are times (or
>files, actually--frequently sounds and pictures) when Stuffit (Classic)
>will do a better compression job than Compactor.  So be careful what you
>say.

I tried Compactor on a bunch of files a few weeks ago to test it out
against Stuffit 1.5.1.  Compactor ALWAYS produced a smaller archive.
Also, Compactor lets you create self-extracting archives and Stuffit
does not.  I ended up staying with Stuffit to maintain compatibility
with others in the office.

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

tempest@walleye.uucp (Kenneth K.F. Lui) (10/27/90)

In article <1990Oct26.194712.8915@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>against Stuffit 1.5.1.  Compactor ALWAYS produced a smaller archive.

This was what I thought before I started stuffing things that
contained a lot of sounds.  Stuff Solarian and see what happens.
The Deluxe archive is smaller than Compactor.  I forget what the
actual Compactor size is, but the Deluxe size is 498K.  This is
without any optimizers--straight StuffIt Deluxe using Better.  I
would say that "for the most part," Compactor is more efficient
than StuffIt Deluxe 1.01.

Ken
tempest@ecst.csuchico.edu, tempest@walleye.ecst.csuchico.edu,|Kenneth K.F. Lui|
tempest@sutro.sfsu.edu, tempest@wet.UUCP                     |________________|

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (10/27/90)

>> ".cpt" means that it is a Compactor archive.  Compactor is the new(er)
>> shareware compression utility that seems to be taking over from StuffIt.
>> It does a better job of compression than StuffIt and/or StuffIt Deluxe.
>
>Be careful what you say here.  I think that the most you can say is
>that, at maximum compression settings, Compactor usually does a
>comparable job to Stuffit Deluxe, and that its Compression/Time is
>(always?) higher than Stuffit Deluxe (on Best level).

Compactor doesn't have a maximum compression setting...  You only get the
default LZ compression.  Compression/decompression time is faster, usually
tighter, and the app is much more MultiFinder friendly than is either StuffIt
or StuffIt Deluxe.

My statement stands, but I should have added IMHO.  I am sorry about leaving
that off...

Ray

Ray Terry      GEnie = R.Terry      CIS = 71150,735      HPDesk = /HP4700
Domain = rterry@hpcupt1.cup.hp.com    SysOp = MacScience BBS 408-866-4933
Packet = N6PHJ @ N6IIU.#NOCAL.CA.USA  UUCP = ...!sun!hpda!hpcupt1!rterry
UFGate = ...!apple!camphq!36!ray.terry

clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) (10/30/90)

In article <1990Oct26.194712.8915@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>Also, Compactor lets you create self-extracting archives and Stuffit
>does not.

Aw contrare mon frare...

ftp to sumex [36.44.0.6] and pick up:
/info-mac/util/stuffit-15-utilities.hqx

one of the several utilities here will allow you to convert a standard Stuffit
1.5.1 archive into a self-extracting archive.

I haven't tried it on a Classic archive as created by Stuffit Deluxe.

chaz

--
Prince and Linda Ronstadt Secretly Wed in San Rafael, It's Official.
 -- National Enquirer Photo Exclusive.

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (10/31/90)

In article <2594@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>In article <1990Oct26.194712.8915@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>>Also, Compactor lets you create self-extracting archives and Stuffit
>>does not.
>
>Aw contrare mon frare...
>
>ftp to sumex [36.44.0.6] and pick up:
>/info-mac/util/stuffit-15-utilities.hqx
>
>one of the several utilities here will allow you to convert a standard Stuffit
>1.5.1 archive into a self-extracting archive.
>
>I haven't tried it on a Classic archive as created by Stuffit Deluxe.

I stand corrected.  sorry...

>chaz

Cheers,

Chris
------------------------------+---------------------------

rterry@hpcuhc.cup.hp.com (Ray Terry) (10/31/90)

>>Also, Compactor lets you create self-extracting archives and Stuffit
>>does not.
>
>Aw contrare mon frare...
>
>ftp to sumex [36.44.0.6] and pick up:
>/info-mac/util/stuffit-15-utilities.hqx
>
>one of the several utilities here will allow you to convert a standard Stuffit
>1.5.1 archive into a self-extracting archive.
>
>I haven't tried it on a Classic archive as created by Stuffit Deluxe.

He most likely (?) was referring to the fact that with Compactor you can create
a self-extracting archive (sea) via the compression app itself (simply check a
box).  With StuffIt you have to use (and have) another utility to turn the
archive into a sea.

Compactor's approach is superior.

Ray

carsup@extro.ucc.su.OZ.AU (Fisher Library support) (11/06/90)

In article <1990Oct30.165720.24384@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>In article <2594@ux.acs.umn.edu> clarson@ux.acs.umn.edu (Chaz Larson) writes:
>>In article <1990Oct26.194712.8915@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu> cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
>>>Also, Compactor lets you create self-extracting archives and Stuffit
>>>does not.
>>
>>Aw contrare mon frare...
>>
>>ftp to sumex [36.44.0.6] and pick up:
>>/info-mac/util/stuffit-15-utilities.hqx
>>
>>one of the several utilities here will allow you to convert a standard Stuffit
>>1.5.1 archive into a self-extracting archive.
>>
>>I haven't tried it on a Classic archive as created by Stuffit Deluxe.
>
>I stand corrected.  sorry...
>

>>chaz
>
>Cheers,
>
>Chris

REJOICE!!  I've been using Stuffit Classic 1.6 and it is shareware and does
auto-extracting archives within the one program.  It comes as a self-extracting
archive for distribution.  Just remember saving a copy of that first as it
saves files to the System Folder as well.  I guess once you overlook the fact
that it takes quite a few files to perform, it works very well and certainly
looks the part.  Just when I thought I was going to send my registration fee
to Compactor comes StuffIt Classic 1.6...

To be honest, I'll always choose to say I stuffed the files than compacted
them even when I compacted them, so to speak.  Stuff it somehow brings a
smile to my face except when I really do.  May be there will be a shareware
for really stuffing things up in the works?  ScrewIt Classic...?  :)

****    My employers ignore me, I'm on my own when I speak out in public   ****
Norton Chia	||  My address is carsup@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
Micro Support	||	"When are they going to put in built-in spell-chequers"