[comp.sys.mac.misc] FPUs, who uses them?

gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) (11/05/90)

	What commonly used programs make use of the floating point chip?
I am aware you can buy two versions of Mathematica one that uses the FPU
and one that doesn't.  Does Theorist,Cricket Graph,DeltaGraph,Wingz ...
use FPUs?
			Thanks in advance for the info,
			H-----

wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu (william t bridgman) (11/06/90)

In article <16402@hydra.gatech.EDU>, gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) writes:

[deleted stuff]
> Does Theorist,Cricket Graph,DeltaGraph,Wingz ...
> use FPUs?

Theorist comes with two versions, one using the FPU, one without the FPU code.
I've used the FPU version almost exclusively.  I did some speed comparisons
back when I first bought the package and decided that for the work I was
doing, it was better to wait until I had access to a Mac with an FPU than try
to work without an FPU in a pinch.
Tom.

|  William T. "Tom" Bridgman         | wbridgm@hubcap.clemson.edu     |
|  Department of Physics & Astronomy |                                |
|  Clemson University                |"Black Holes under Construction.|
|  Clemson, SC   29634               |       WATCH YOUR STEP!"        |

domo@tsa.co.uk (Dominic Dunlop) (11/06/90)

In article <16402@hydra.gatech.EDU> gt3930c@prism.gatech.EDU (ZUCCOLA) writes:

> 	What commonly used programs make use of the floating point chip?

Excel 2.2 notes the presence or absence of an FPU when it starts up.
Presumably, this means that it uses the thing if it can (although, as
it's a Microsoft product, who knows?).
--
Dominic Dunlop