[comp.sys.mac.misc] Double Helix II problem

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (11/06/90)

Sometimes, while editing a template for a form, I notice that a field
rectangle becomes "erase proof."  Try as you might, it just cannot
be deleted.  If you try to click on the resize box, nothing happens.
I am using DH II v.3.0r1e.

Otherwise, I find the program fairly easy to deal with, although rather
slow.  It is great for us people who barf at the sight of program code. :)

Any help would be a Godsend.

Thanks,

Chris

------------------------------+---------------------------
Chris Mauritz                 |D{r det finns en |l, finns
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu   |det en plan!
(c)All rights reserved.       |
Send flames to /dev/null      |
------------------------------+---------------------------

pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (11/06/90)

In article <1990Nov5.191739.9310@cunixf.cc.columbia.edu>,
cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) writes:
> Sometimes, while editing a template for a form, I notice that a field
> rectangle becomes "erase proof."  Try as you might, it just cannot
> be deleted.  If you try to click on the resize box, nothing happens.
> I am using DH II v.3.0r1e.

As a quick guess, try turning off the grid feature - if the grid is on
but the size box is off the grid, you will be unable to grab it. Other
things to remember is that with the subforms, you can't see them
resizing, but the only way to delete them is to size them to 0 pixels
high.

> Otherwise, I find the program fairly easy to deal with, although rather
> slow.  It is great for us people who barf at the sight of program code. :)

The speed is really quite good, but what I found out the hard way is
that there are many ways of doing things right in DH II, but some of
them are much much slower than others. For instance, I had a list of
of 5000 customers. I wanted it sorted by last name, but the whole list
was only of retail customers. The Query that limits the list to retail
should be indexed for speed, but if you use the Customer Type index,
you can't use the Lastname index to sort. The solution is to add the
lastname and firstname fields to the Customer Type index so that they
are used to order the list, but the first tile in the index provides
to optimization.

I'd recommend calling Odesta (or they are online on AMerica Online)
and purchasing issue 3 and 4 of The Helix Journal, both of which have
optimization articles in them. As far as the developing speed, I can
recommend things like not keeping many test records in your
developer's version, using a fast machine with plenty of memory, and
running under Finder with few inits.

I was worried for a while that DH II was a dog too, but I speeded up
my lists from 3 minutes to 1 second by optimizing correctly. It's all
in the technique.

> Any help would be a Godsend.
>
> Thanks,

You're welcome.

-Adam

--
Adam C. Engst                         pv9y@vax5.cit.cornell.edu
Editor of TidBITS, the weekly electronic Macintosh news journal

cmm1@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Christopher M Mauritz) (11/07/90)

I wish to thank all who replied.  It was the GRID feature that was causing
my problems.  Somehow, DH II decided to re-size some field by itself and
thus they were in between grids (and quite a pain to deal with).  Turning
off the GRID function temporarily allowed me to manipulate the fields.

Thanks again.

Gosh, what would I do without usenet. :-)

Cheers,

Chris